Kill audio to monitors with headphones plugged in

SteveW

Experienced
I've had my MK II for several years now, and decided to plug in a set of headphones tonight. Just in case anybody asks ...yes they're plugged into the headphone output. I was surprised to see that the monitors still have audio with the headphones plugged in. (Output 1)

Don't recall this happening with the FX II. Not sure if this is the default behavior or if I had changed something in settings, but how would I go about killing audio to my monitors when the headphones are plugged in, or controlling the two separately?

Probably need to put your monitors on another output. If I’m using phones I’m killing power to my monitors anyhow. Maybe there’s another way but I’m not aware.

I've had my MK II for several years now, and decided to plug in a set of headphones tonight. Just in case anybody asks ...yes they're plugged into the headphone output. I was surprised to see that the monitors still have audio with the headphones plugged in. (Output 1)

Don't recall this happening with the FX II. Not sure if this is the default behavior or if I had changed something in settings, but how would I go about killing audio to my monitors when the headphones are plugged in, or controlling the two separately?
Headphones are hard-wired to OUT 1, and are controlled by the same OUT volume control.

You can use a different output for your monitors, or use their volume control to turn them down if they have one and must be connected to OUT 1, or send your audio to a mixer and control both from there.

Headphones are hard-wired to OUT 1, and are controlled by the same OUT volume control.

You can use a different output for your monitors, or use their volume control to turn them down if they have one and must be connected to OUT 1, or send your audio to a mixer and control both from there.
So, if I use a different output for my monitors say output two, I would have to add the output at the end of the signal chain as well?

That looks pretty simple as well, but if I can do it by just copying output one and controlling the two outputs individually, I guess it's easier and no other hardware being introduced!

I just used the volume knob on my monitors (mackie CR3?) - if they were off, only the headphones made sound. Hooked up via out1.

That Radial was the one I was looking for but it wasn’t in stock.
The Beringer I bought has worked great and I don’t hear any difference in sound between using it or a cable straight to the monitor.

That Radial was the one I was looking for but it wasn’t in stock.
The Beringer I bought has worked great and I don’t hear any difference in sound between using it or a cable straight to the monitor.
Cool. I bought the Radial used and was about the price of some other options, so I went with that. I'm sure the Beringer would have worked fine for me, too.

So I did the output 1 copy to output 2, moved my HS7's to output 2 and voila, it was that simple as was posted above.

No additional hardware necessary and I have full control of the monitors independently from the headphones.

Thanks everyone for your invaluable suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom