Keyboards in your studio?

spagthorpe

Power User
Now that I have a little more space for music related things, I want to devote some of that space to synths again. I was just curios if you guys also have keyboards around and what they were. Piano? Synth? Midi controller with VSTs? Workstation?

I have an Akai MPK 49, use it to control VST or native in Reason. Although half the time I just use my laptop keyboard... ;-)

I have a MIDI controller with a lot of soft synths. These days it just seems simpler and more cost effective. Easier to save the sounds you are using in your DAW along with the project than it is with outboard synths for one thing.

My keyboard skills are limited, but adequate for the type of things I do, and sometimes I cheat by using EZKeys to get the basic idea, although I rarely if ever stick to piano sounds. I have done a few electronic only songs just to see how they would turn out, but most of what I do is guitar oriented rock and metal, so the keyboards are more to back what the guitars are doing.

An ancient M-Audio Keystation 61es. Everything I need, nothing I don’t. I use it mostly with EZ keys plugs. A quick search shows one for $40 on Reverb.

An ancient M-Audio Keystation 61es. Everything I need, nothing I don’t. I use it mostly with EZ keys plugs. A quick search shows one for $40 on Reverb.
I just got an M-Audio 49, but don't really know where to find keyboard/synth sounds. There are a handful in Reaper, but I haven't found much. Any ideas?

88 key hammer action and then a 49 key synth action controller which i use for sound modules and vsts, and then my ms20 has its own keyboard. Crappy one at that, but still cool

Korg TR-61. Great sounds, beats and a lot of fun to mess around with but professional enough for recording.

I just got an M-Audio 49, but don't really know where to find keyboard/synth sounds. There are a handful in Reaper, but I haven't found much. Any ideas?
Dude the plugin world is a rabbit hole in and of itself. Your first stop should be Reverb’s download section and hit up the freebies there. Should be enough there to keep you wrapped up for at least six months. From there you can start thinking about stuff you’d actually want to pay for.

I have (and use):
  • Roli Seaboard 49 (49 "soft" keys amazing to control woods or winds)
  • Native Instruments M32 (32 mini keys" small and ready to use when needed)
  • Casio CDP1000 Digital piano (88 weighted keys)
They all cotrol VSTi through MIDI (or MIDI Over USB)

Yamaha SY99, cool onboard stuff and a decent enough controller for me as a "plays keys in private to write with" -level keyboardist. As mentioned above, managing presets in there vs songs in a DAW is Not Fun, VSTs are way easier.

And cheaper, and more varied, and really fun, and a huge rabbit hole and money sink if you go there, which I don't really any more.

Also a little Korg pads thing I've never gotten along with very well, probably because I didn't put the time in to get fluent.

Last edited:
Just an M Audio 49 here as well. Anytime I think about getting something better, I remember what a lousy keyboard player I am and I just need it to plunk out some chords now and then.

With many keyboards, or DAW’s doing things like scaled modes, chord mode etc it’s gotten a lot easier to play keys. Can’t hit a “wrong” note

Komplete Kontrol S25 for laying down drum ideas and Komplete S88 Mk II for full keyboard needs.

Just received a Yamaha CP-88...heavens, I have waited for this my whole life.
While it is a performance keyboard and not a synth, I was looking for something that did pianos right...and this does it.
The electric pianos are sickeningly good. And everything's in your face without menu diving for layering and tweaking.

I occasionally add little keys parts to recordings with VSTs. I recently spent $60 to replace my ancient Korg with a clean used Acorn Masterkey 49. It's great because it's powered by USB and is instantly recognized by my DAW upon connect.

As a bonus.. it also powers up and works instantly connected to my iPhone to mess around in Garage Band. Plug in to lightning port with camera kit adaptor.

It was a great $60 spend. Not everything has to be expensive!

Nord Piano 4. And a Yamaha MX61 key that has 'okay' synth/organ sounds. I'm probably going to upgrade that one.

But I play ALOT of keys these days.

Last edited:
My controller is a Roland A-70. "Weighted Synth" action with aftertouch and loads of capabilities. No one has ever made a more comfortable controller in my opinion. I actually keep a second one around for spare parts. As for sounds, these days, I really only use plugins despite owning a lot of vintage synths. The built in sounds in Logic are simply unstoppable. I own and use a lot of 3rd party plugins too. At the top of the list is U-he, specifically Diva and Zebra 2. These are simply amazing. I have the complete Korg collection, which gets a little action, and NI FM8 from time to time (I'm 52 years old, so the DX was a bread and butter synth for me). Contact of course, too, though "EZ Keys" gets more play for pianos than even my mega libraries. In a previous life, I was integral to the Access Virus synth line, so that box still gets some love, despite being a klunky "tethered" plugin. The guys in the band Muse sent me the full "Arturia" suite, but I rarely get around to it. If you like vintage e-drums, check out Aly James stuff, which is all great. Omnisphere is also very nice.

Last edited:
Oh yes, definitely love Omnisphere, as well as the U-He synths. Diva sounds killer for those vintage analog tones. Synthmaster is another one I really enjoy.

Omnisphere is also very nice.

The A70 was quite nice. These days I’m avoiding aftertouch keyboards but I’ll give the Osmose a try when it comes out. My main keyboard right now is a NI A61. Very nice semi-weighted action.

Back
Top Bottom