Keyboard recommendation needed

P

plexi59

So my wife has expressed interest in getting back into piano and (I hope) other music. She took classes from about age 8 to 18 or so, and could play fairly well, but that was decades ago, and now she can pull a decent rendition of Fur Elise but not much more than that. I know absolutely nothing about keyboards, but I've been thinking of getting one for my home studio for years anyway, just as an input device pretty much. Obviously this presents an opportune moment to on the one hand beef up my studio, and on the other to not spend a ton of money and floor space on a real piano.

So assuming money is not an issue, what keyboard would folks recommend that:
1. Wouldn't need a computer to work (needing an amp is OK, I have a spare amp and a pair of Tannoys I could dedicate)
2. Have outstanding piano sounds for playing classical music, and feel like a piano (so hammer action is preferred)
3. Have good (if not outstanding) sounds for rock music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at what Yamaha or Roland have to offer. They both have some good choices as I was looking at some the other day and there are plenty of options to give you what you would be looking for.

I had the exact same situation. I use a Yamaha S90XS in the studio, but we wanted a keyboard for home. Even though it was primarily for my wife to use, I still wanted something that could stand up to proper use as a controller.

Anyway, I settled on the Yamaha DGX640. It's got built-in speakers, a great keyboard action, great piano sounds and a tolerably decent selection of other sounds.
Yamaha DGX 640 88 Key Digital Piano | Musician's Friend

If you go for this, make sure you get the "Optional LP7 3-pedal unit for DGX-640". (Why they make you buy this as an extra is beyond me, it should be a standard part of all pianos.)

Best? IMO.. Korg Kronos 88. ~9G piano, SSD drive onboard for streaming sounds, can record audio + MIDI, 9 synth engines, more. They opted out of using Yamaha boards in their units several years ago, and the RH3 they have in the Kronos is exceptional IMO. If I were buying a new 88, this would be it.

Alternately...
Yamaha Motif XF8; really nice piece of gear! Kurzweil makes some very sweet 88-note units. They are a bit behind the tide, but some swear by them. I would recommend trying a Kurz, a Yamaha Motif, and the Kronos together. The latest Yamaha is really nice as well, and the S90XS Manning mentioned is damn fine IMO (I love the action on that one!). I did not care for the Roland stuff at all, including the V-Piano. I tried all but the Kurzweil at more than one place.

I own a Kurzweil K2500XS and a Korg M3-73 (semi-weighted). I would likely go.. Kronos 88, Yamaha Motif XF88, then Kurzweil PC3K8. No matter what, my vote is to go somewhere and try them. Bring headphones, and familiarize yourselves with factory reset procedures prior to going to try them.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom