Keyboard players?

Keg8605

Power User
Just curious if anyone hear tends to plays keys in their bands in addition to guitar? What hardware synths are you all using?
Been using Mainstage for awhile and really has done pretty well, but I'm looking to move to maybe a yamaha moxf6 or roland fa-06.

I own a Korg M3 88 key, but don't use it in a band setting. Mostly for recording (game music / sfx) and composing... but also some tooling around.

I used a Yamaha motif for about 10 years... not a single issue and still going strong. It's become more of a glorified midi controller as of late.

We use some of the older ensoniq keyboards I can't remember the model numbers. They are quite important for capturing certain 80's sounds. One of my go to keyboards for Portability and capturing good organ tone and behavior are the Nord Electro's. They do a great job of capturing the sound and feel of a b3 or even a heavily modded b3 with alot of grit.

I used a Yamaha motif for about 10 years

Yamaha Motif was always on my 'must buy' list, but guitars keep getting priority and now I use software synths when composing. I've never been inclined to play keyboards in a band, and for that matter I've not been in a band with a keyboard player for over 20 years.

I have been using the Roland X6 for years mixed with my Impulse 61 for more fun midi stuff. I also love using it with my Axe Fx. Its always fun to hear some cool ambient patches with keys.

Yes. I use a Yamaha Motif XS8 and an old Alesis QS7. I run them into a small Carvin mixer then to FOH. The Alesis is pretty old but I have a bunch of sound cards for it. One of the sound cards is "Vintage Keys" and has some great sounds on it. The XS8 is a great keyboard and is very easy to use for performance or recording.

I'm definitely considering the motif xs or es since they can be had for the same amount as a new FA 06 or MOXF. The thing scaring me is weight. I think i'll really appreciate a lighter keyboard if I can get away with it. Problem with those is no aftertouch and from what i can tell cheaper keybeds.

Yamaha Motif XF8. It is also rather heavy, but delivers....only been using in the studio the last few years, but I did shlep it around for awhile. Great sounds and a great touch, in retrospect, the 76 key would have worked fine for my needs.

There's a local motif es6 available for 700 which is a solid price....hmmm my back will be pissed.

Back
Top Bottom