Kenny Wayne Shepherd Tone?

bbbuck

I feel I have built a great set of tones with the help of RACA, Mark Day and Others. Missing are some awesome blues-rock tones similar to KWS. It doesn't need to nail his tone. Needs to soar and work with single coil pups. I have read the suggestion on how easy it is to get to this great one but I haven't heard anyone build a world class preset around this yet. I am trying and crashing every night. Hope someone can share the wisdom. Thanks in advance!!!

I hear ya bro. Try the vox factory pre set #6 with the 'Blue on black' chord progression. what I lacked on the ultra as well is a good lead tone that mixs with this light grainy tone. hitting the od808 just does not do it for me with the vox. Creating a 2nd pre set with more vox gain is just not that great either.

I think Cliff said recently that "we need a Fuchs" and that he'd ask Andy, since he knows him. KWS is still playing Fuchs amps, right?

For the most part, I think his tone is derrivative of SRV. I thought the Pride and Joy Axe-Fx II factory preset (80) was pretty damn good with a Strat actually.

KWS also uses Foxrox pedals for his fx. Fuzz/ProVibe/Octavia are from the Captain Coconut 2 and he also used the TZF Flanger and Octron. If memory serves, he also had an AnalogMan Clone Chorus (for slower Leslie type rotary effect) and a Teese RMC3 wah. I know he also had at least two 808 modded Tubescreamers in front as well. One might be a modded TS9DX for more gain.
A lot of his tunes are drenched in effects which, as we all know, can really change the end tone.

Just food for thought.

KWS Equipment

Here is a few things I think I know about KWS gear. Used to use a lot of Marshall and Fuchs. Now is on stage using Fender 64 Blackface Vibroverb and a 65 Fender Twin reverb. Pedals used are tube screamer (TS9 & TS808HW), Analog Man King of Tone OD (uses often), Analog Man Captain Coconut octave/chorus, Dunlop Crybaby MC-404 CAE wah pedal, Roger Mayer and Tychobrahe Octavia, Dunlop Uni-Vibe re-issue, Line 6 DL4 delay pedal & (11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 58 gauge) electric guitar strings. I realize all of this is in the formula. I have not heard he uses the TZF Flanger but I tried that and it did bring me a bit closer to some of his stuff. I will keep playing with this stuff and adding effects in different ways to see how close I can get -- Thx.

I have a live video of him on the experience tour as well as pics of his rig somewhere - two Fender 2x12 dual reverbs or vibroverbs with the hand wired tube screamer and a
analogman KOT, and other pedals.

Back
Top Bottom