Kemper to Axe-Fx 3

Hello. I am on the wait list for an FM3 and I currently have a Kemper. I have an opportunity to purchase an axe Fx3. I am curious if there is anyone who has used both and could weigh in on the feel and response. If I do the fx3 I would have to sell my Kemper to find the fx3 but the fm3 would allow me to keep both to a/b the units. Any subjective input would be appreciated as I am leaning towards the fx3 based on its capabilities.

Thanks, Rod

I had a Kemper with pedalboard for a few months last year, which I sold to get an Axe 3 + FC6 controller. I'm very happy with the decision overall but there are some big differences, depending on how you like to use your devices.

For pure amp tones, if you have the right profiles, the Kemper sounds and feels amazing with no effort on your end. The Axe 3 might take some work to get there. You may need to experiment with impulses to find the right ones, or learn how the amp works to dial it in. But when you do learn that, it's going to apply to other tones you create. On the flip side, if you don't like a Kemper profile, you'll need to find a different one, which costs time and money (I easily spent a few hundred trying different profiles). And you may not be able to get your different profiles to work well together (that was my biggest issue with it). For instance, I could never get a great high gain sound I loved out of the Kemper.

Now when you add in effects, personally I think the Fractal runs away with it. They are a lot more engaging, interesting, just better quality overall. A lot of the Kemper stuff sounded dated to me and you have to fuss with it quite a bit to get where you want to be (or at least I did). That's not to say Kemper can't sound good, I just liked the Fractal effects a lot more, and that was another big reason I jumped ship.

Workflow is going to be different. Kemper is more plug and play in finding a profile, tweaking it, then adding a few effects on top. I actually liked how simple that process generally was and there was no computer editor at the time. But there were many times the menu was a real pain to navigate, like scrolling through hundreds of profiles, or requiring a USB stick to load files (welcome to 2006)! Fractal on the other hand works brilliantly on a computer, and it can be simple or complex with a lot more possibilities. On the device it's not nearly as fun (there are no dedicated knobs like the Kemper), but it's usable to edit.

I think if you use more than a few effects at a time, and can handle the extra expense of the Axe 3, it's a better purchase. It's got a lot more power and will be the flagship for Fractal with the most recent developments. But the FM3 is a great bargain for a more simple rig.

Also, I really don't like having multiple modelers at once. For me it makes for more options which is distracting. And then I end up comparing them and swapping around and spend less time playing.

I had a Kemper with pedalboard for a few months last year, which I sold to get an Axe 3 + FC6 controller. I'm very happy with the decision overall but there are some big differences, depending on how you like to use your devices.

For pure amp tones, if you have the right profiles, the Kemper sounds and feels amazing with no effort on your end. The Axe 3 might take some work to get there. You may need to experiment with impulses to find the right ones, or learn how the amp works to dial it in. But when you do learn that, it's going to apply to other tones you create. On the flip side, if you don't like a Kemper profile, you'll need to find a different one, which costs time and money (I easily spent a few hundred trying different profiles). And you may not be able to get your different profiles to work well together (that was my biggest issue with it). For instance, I could never get a great high gain sound I loved out of the Kemper.

Now when you add in effects, personally I think the Fractal runs away with it. They are a lot more engaging, interesting, just better quality overall. A lot of the Kemper stuff sounded dated to me and you have to fuss with it quite a bit to get where you want to be (or at least I did). That's not to say Kemper can't sound good, I just liked the Fractal effects a lot more, and that was another big reason I jumped ship.

Workflow is going to be different. Kemper is more plug and play in finding a profile, tweaking it, then adding a few effects on top. I actually liked how simple that process generally was and there was no computer editor at the time. But there were many times the menu was a real pain to navigate, like scrolling through hundreds of profiles, or requiring a USB stick to load files (welcome to 2006)! Fractal on the other hand works brilliantly on a computer, and it can be simple or complex with a lot more possibilities. On the device it's not nearly as fun (there are no dedicated knobs like the Kemper), but it's usable to edit.

I think if you use more than a few effects at a time, and can handle the extra expense of the Axe 3, it's a better purchase. It's got a lot more power and will be the flagship for Fractal with the most recent developments. But the FM3 is a great bargain for a more simple rig.

Also, I really don't like having multiple modelers at once. For me it makes for more options which is distracting. And then I end up comparing them and swapping around and spend less time playing.
Apart from zero experience with the fractal you summed up exactly how I feel about the kemper. I think that I am going to go the way of the FX3 and sell the Kemper.
Thanks. Rod

All good points. For me, running a pedalboard into both the Kemper and now Axe, my perspective is that the Axe is more plug and play than Kemper. Just the process of finding the right profile can be paralyzing. Both MBritt and Jon (Tone Junkies) profiled a couple of my amps (TJ’s Match 30 is my HC 30). Even with that profile pack, and having my exact settings profiled I ended up using a profile from another Matchless pack all together. Reason being, with the Kemper (if you’re like me) you end up chasing that holy grail amp (which for me was a Sampson era DC30). The problem is that the profiles are only as good as the profiler.

The other thing I didn’t like about the Kemper is that all of the amps feel the same. I’ve heard this is because there’s some inherent compression built into to every profile. I also heard that there are really only one or two actual profiles in the Kemper and each aftermarket profile is a heavily tweaked version of those one or two profiles (I’m guessing 2, a clean and a distorted profile based on the language used to describe the profiling process in the kemper manual).

The other big issue for me was the inability to run stereo effects into the Kemper unless you put them after the amp (I don’t have any experience with the FM3 but I believe it’s the same way?). So, if you want to run stereo effects before the amp, Axe III is the only option (or Helix but there’s really no comparison there regarding amp tone).

I’m not disagreeing with what you said, all I’m trying to say is that as a different user, my experience was different than yours. I spent hours shaping Kemper profiles. And in the end it still didn't sound or feel quite like my amp. On the other hand, I set up my Matchless preset in the Axe III in about 5 min and have made maybe 2-3 minor tweaks to it since then and it sounds just like my real amp through FOH.

YMMV of course. But if you’re using a pedalboard into the amp, Axe III was the clear winner for me.

Last edited:
Here's me and the band live. I'm using a heavy classic rock scene on my main preset that involves a Soldano model. I forget what crazy 4x12 cab model I'm using, but I switched to it from a cab Leon Todd ( @2112 ) had from one of his awesome presets.

Pardon my sloppy playing. LoL! This was recorded at our last gig 3/14/2020.

https://www.reverbnation.com/bigphatmojo/song/31569369-lovin-touchin-squeezin-bpm-03-14

I will admit, I use Helix for church band gigs mostly because it's a one piece and all my multi-scene worship presets are on it. It's so convenient and does well enough in that environment to not warrant carrying a rack and pedalboard case for services. Hehe
Looking forward to hearing this today!

Thank you for posting those clips. I really liked the tones you got in don’t stop believing as well.
Rod

Thanks!
I could kick myself for some of the sloppy playing, though. LoL!

Everything from 3/14/2020 is my latest version of my primary preset with 4 scenes and 4 stomps.

dont get confused with some people comments about the Kemper,believe me Axe 3 or Kemper are awesome,here are some clips from my buddy using his Kemper,P.S im not a fanboy of kemper or axe 3,for me axe 3 is F awesome same as Kemper.

he recorded all guitars with the Kemper on his band cd

and here with the AX8 he even get a reply from Lukather on the Facebook.

Agree, nothing wrong with using Kemper... Just most of us having both prefer Axe FX III, especially if we had to choose.

My bass player is going to go ampless and use my dust collecting Kemper Stage.

Here's me and the band live. I'm using a heavy classic rock scene on my main preset that involves a Soldano model. I forget what crazy 4x12 cab model I'm using, but I switched to it from a cab Leon Todd ( @2112 ) had from one of his awesome presets.

Pardon my sloppy playing. LoL! This was recorded at our last gig 3/14/2020.

https://www.reverbnation.com/bigphatmojo/song/31569369-lovin-touchin-squeezin-bpm-03-14

I will admit, I use Helix for church band gigs mostly because it's a one piece and all my multi-scene worship presets are on it. It's so convenient and does well enough in that environment to not warrant carrying a rack and pedalboard case for services. Hehe
Great tone and playing! Sounds like a wall of 4x12's!

With Kemper, I was always adding low end to fill it out... that's definitely not the case here! Great low end in that preset! Nice and fat, but tight and punchy too.

Great tone and playing! Sounds like a wall of 4x12's!

With Kemper, I was always adding low end to fill it out... that's definitely not the case here! Great low end in that preset! Nice and fat, but tight and punchy too.

Wow, thanks!!! That's recorded straight off the board using an X32 with a Midas DL32 stage box (Midas Pro preamps) using
the XLive card. I have a full Presonus Series III setup (32ch full board and 32R in stage box mode), but I primarily use the Behringer/MIdas equipment live for gigs.

I mix it in Studio One 4 Pro and use a minimal amount of room ambience type plugins just to put the room dynamics back in and sound "live" again.
I don't like doctored up beyond belief demos for us to use. I try to merely capture what we actually sound like live when I'm walking
around with the wireless at sound check and during shows. I feel like if "live" recordings are not good enough, then we need to
practice like heck to clean it up! LoL! :sunglasses::sweatsmile:

Shock: the fractal forum prefers the 3 over Kemper :p.
Haha, I've said the same things on the Kemper facebook groups, but yeah, we're probably a little biased. The interesting thing to me is how many people have both units (and others). I do think there is some validity to these statements from those of us that have used both extensively.

Thanks Roddie! We're in the Nashville area, so there's no shortage of talent. We're pretty deep on our roster for drummers, bass players, keys players and singers (one of our regulars is in the band Casting Crowns). It's great fun to work with this group.
You and the band sound great, and I have heard that the talent pool in Nashville is rather deep.

Rod

I owned a couple of Kemper units about 6 years ago for a couple of years. After having issues with both units, I moved back to amps and load boxes. Still using them today and still really, really enjoy using an amp.
With this in mind, I took a chance on getting an Axe III back a couple of years ago (can't believe it has been that long!). I still own, enjoy and regularly use the unit both live and with recording. I did pick up a Kemper back in November but I only kept it for a month as I realized that the reasons I didn't like it previous were the same reasons I returned it. It just doesn't work for me.

I have found the III to be very consistent and just an incredible sounding unit all around. Now, if you love your Kemper, then by all means keep it and get the FM3. However, if you aren't as happy, I'd 100% gab the III. It is a fantastic unit!

I have had both a Kemper and Axe FX XL thru to an Axe FX III currently. I liked the Kemper and was able to get a rather good tone out of the unit. However the one drawback to the Kemper, at least for me, was the lack of an editor like Axe Edit. You had to configure everything from the front panel of the Kemper which is rather tedious. Plus I feel that the Axe FX III effects are far, far superior to the Kemper’s. The Axe FX III also has more realistic sounding and behaving amps. I sold my Kemper a few months after I received my Axe FX III.

Hello. I am on the wait list for an FM3 and I currently have a Kemper. I have an opportunity to purchase an axe Fx3. I am curious if there is anyone who has used both and could weigh in on the feel and response. If I do the fx3 I would have to sell my Kemper to find the fx3 but the fm3 would allow me to keep both to a/b the units. Any subjective input would be appreciated as I am leaning towards the fx3 based on its capabilities.

Thanks, Rod

Why buy the Axe fx III now if you will get a FM3 soon? If you like the Kemper you should keep it and wait for the FM3. Or don't buy the FM3 and buy the Axe fx III and keep the Kemper. It's more versatile than having both the Axe fx III and the FM3 since they have the same sound.

Last edited:
I think this is the right backup in case anyone wants to play around with it. Only edited and use the first 4 scenes with 4 stomps on the FC-12.

Attachments

• 509_WM LT Leads 1j Gigset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
I have both. I use both. I love my Axe III, but the KPA sits slightly better in the few mixes I have added guitars to. I agree with those who say the KPA has a 'signature' sound, but with the right profile it sounds incredible. I also prefer the pitch effects in the KPA - the shimmer reverb (Ionosphere) in particular sounds better than the Axe III shimmer IMO. The 'crystals' effect is notably better, too. The amp sounds are slightly better in the Axe III, and the improved speaker impedance modelling really improved things for me. I will not be selling my KPA any time soon, despite how good the Axe III is. If I had to get rid of one, I'd sell the Kemper. But I'd miss it.

Not sure what your needs are, but I will offer my experience.

I had the Kemper for years and sold it after purchasing the FX III. Not because the KPA is bad, but it simply wasn't going to see any use with the FX III on my desk.

I found that I spent as much, if not more, time (and money) searching for profiles I liked than I ever have dialing in tones on the FX III. Both have a forum/exchange sites for presets/profiles from other users, but I found the presets on Axechange to be much more useful than profiles on the Kemper site. The advantage of Fractal being you can adjust any presets to your liking. Even if the overall tone isn't what I need/want, there may be a specific effect or amp block that's dialed in perfectly for me. With the FX III, I can save that block to the library and recall it for use with other presets.

The ability to create tones on the FX III (vice loading profiles and hoping there's one I liked), the sound/feel, flexibility, and effects drove my decision to keep the FX III and sell the KPA. The frequent updates from Cliff and support from the forum members are outstanding. The computer editor (Axe-Edit), Fractal Bot, Fractool software are extremely helpful, and there are many resources available (e.g. Wiki sties, Yek's guides, Leon's videos, etc.) to assist.

In terms of FM3 vs FX III: About a year prior the release of the FX III, I bought the AX8. I ended up selling it and getting the FX II XL. For me, the XL provided the extra processing power and capability I wanted. For others, however, the AX8 works perfectly. I have not used the FM3, but I feel it would be the same case when compared to FX III...for my situation. Especially after having used the FX III for a year now.

The FM3 may check all of the boxes for you. Amps and cabs for both are the same, I believe. Here is a link from the wiki site to compare effects/blocks and how many you can use with each. You may want to take a look to see if any differences are a deal breaker for your needs. There's a wealth of information on the wiki that may help you decide, if you haven't looked at it already.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Effects_list

Back
Top Bottom