• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Well someone needs to push the handle on this topic...

16_image.jpg

Last edited:
Before this turns into a TGP type thread and adds fuel to those wanting to label Ax users "fanatics" maybe take a minute before hitting the reply button guys..

Take Care! :)

BigD1977, apologies for the tone of some of my comments, though I do stand behind the general gist of the posts. This forum certainly deserves a better diplomacy.

Long story short, Stratmann is certainly entitled to his opinions. No question. It would be great to read his assessment of the new AFXII, to see if perhaps this gets closer to what he's seeking, and with a less demanding effort.

PS: I hope you don't mind if I PM you with a deeper explanation of my position. No need to belabor this here on the broader forum.

And in addition to jimfist's comment, I would have thought that a mod should have slightly more impartiality than to rubber stamp a comment which has been designed to be confrontational.

Call em as I see them. Read the thread thoroughly and Jimfist comment on Stratmans posts and post history. Its spot on , nuff said. We've seen this stuff 1000x before and it goes nowhere and ADDS NOTHING!

...and then there is calling me out.....who's confrontational?

Last edited:
Whatever people think about the Kemper. One fact is is sure: There was no competition to to the AxeFX before. Now, finally there is a competition (alternative choice), even though both are different devices with different aproaches for different musicians. That's great. It will bring more life into the market of professional modellers.
yes

The other good part is the price. Along with a Midi Board (CC capable - Behringer with mod) it is much more affordable.
If all you need are one amp/cab/mic block at once then yes.
In case you like to use two amps/cabs/mics at once - then you need two Kemper's
In case you need advanced effects - then you need both (Kemper and AxeFx) - or only the AxeFx

And it can make profiles of the AxeFx :)
Only the amps/cabs/mics - and then you have a static profile - while on the AxeFx you can tweak hundreds of amp,cab and mic parameters

As I recall, he never stated in this thread that the AFX couldn't do blues or blues rock tones, rather, that HE never 'got to the right sound out of it', and has found a tool for him which will.
Saying that the unit didn't do it's thing for him could hardly be called an 'incorrect assertion'.

What is wrong with stating this, apart from stating his point of view?

Some people just don't like the unit, and should be allowed to say so without a condescending tone in reply.

Secondly, if the AFX 1 didn't do the job for him, why should he fork out additional money for an AFX II, when he seems perfectly happy with a KPA?

The only objectionable part of the whole thread has come from you, jimfist, in your reply, and in what appears to be a slightly OCD tendency to research and patronise those who would express an opinion that is contrary to yours.

So let me get this straight… You are criticizing a poster for his opinion about another posters opinion and saying he’s wrong and that everyone is entitled to express theirs without replies like his and now yours? :) Classic!

The guy has a handful of posts and comes on a product oriented forum to tout a competing product when he has something like 2 weeks total with both and you chose to defend him over a poster who actually took the time to look up the guys posting history then reply accordingly? Really? Stratmann is obviously just stirring the pot and quite honestly making statements that are misleading or outright incorrect. I call TROLL too.

No, he did not explicitly say the Axe cannot do blues but he most certainly implied it with his very first comment. Apparently he is capable of getting the fusion and metal sounds out of the Axe and not blues rock therefore the Kemper is a cheaper and better solution. Brilliant!

Ohhhh, as for the original premise of your post… Mods have opinions too.

Happy Holidays!

Only the amps/cabs/mics - and then you have a static profile - while on the AxeFx you can tweak hundreds of amp,cab and mic parameters

You can tweak the Kemper a LOT too. Or jsut have hundres of differenct amp profiles.

Yes, you can tweak the Kemper too - but very limited compared to the advanced parameters of the AxeFx.
Yes, the Kemper can hold hundreds of profiles - but you have to find one you like / create one for yourself - instead of turning a knob as in the AxeFx.

I did not found ANY modeler with preset that please ME - but after some tweaking a lot can be done.
The AxeFx is a killer for this.

As far as I know are there only a few of the Kemper amp parameters exposed to the user - can you explain what could be changed in an existing AMP profile in the Kemper (not EQ or other cab/mic).

Basically the same like in a real amp. But you really don't have to tweak very much... I didn't tweak many of my sounds at all and it still sounds better than the Axe2 (to my ears). Like removing a blanket - I always think the Axe sounds a bit muffled in the high end - couldn't get rid of that.

huh, I'm curious, earlier you stated that neither sounds better just different, but above you say you give the Kemper the edge for amp sims. Is it strictly a FOH solution? How does it compare with the Axe II going into a guitar cab-power amp? Just curious

Thanks...I am about to get my Axe Fx II on Friday and I am so incredibly excited... Firmware 4.0 and all.... I have a New years gig and am wondering if one day is enough time to get something set up. I'll try to play it safe, but temptation is calling me.......

I plan on using the Axe (when it gets here) for direct recording not for live gigs, although not ruling it out. So the Kemper isn't really on my radar.

The following post better says what I meant by my statement. I intend to CREATE news sounds with the Axe 2 for use in recordings. It's cool to have re-creations of other amps but I want more than that.

The AxeFx II is my dream machine - almost all seams to be possible - I am NOT limited to profiles of real amps since I can manipulate all important parameters of a real tube amp (in the amp block's advanced settings).
So I can create sounds none existent in the real world - or replicate sounds of real amps.

Yes, to EXACTLY replicate the sounds of a real amp/cab/mic is more complicated with the AxeFx but possible - almost all existing basic circuits of tube amps are available as amp models - there are a lot of CAB models as well - with the option to capture any existing real cabinet/mic with the new IR capture feature.

But this is only one part of the AxeFx fun - the other is to create NEW stuff - and this is not (or only in a very limited way) possible with the Kemper.

The third point is effects - I don't want to compare some basic effects in a static row (4 effects - amp,cab,mic - 4 other effects) with the large AxeFx 4*12 effect matrix.

And I would need two Kemper's to get the sound of two amps at once ;)

In all honesty I was somewhat misinformed about the Kemper. I was led to believe it was an amp/speaker combo for gigging. But I checked the website and you can install an amplifier somehow in the back of the unit, but clearly it's not a combo. From what I have seen I do like the controls and appearance. It look easy to play with in a live setting where you may want to adjust things in realtime from the front panel. Kind of like a Line 6 POD... lol!

The Axe, on the other hand reminds me of 90's synth racks, with difficult to navigate menus and buttons. AXE-Edit is where the power becomes more user friendly.

I can't speak to the actual sounds of either unit, because I haven't ever personally heard either.

I do have to say, because mine will be used 95% in a studio environment, that I'm worried about the possible fan issue, and really hoped Fractal would take studio use much more seriously with regards to fan noise.

I find real tube amps MUCH easier to tweak than the Axe. Sure, Axe is extremely convenient when gigging, but for me personally in the studio nothing beats the real thing. One crappy thing about real amps though is that once you've dialed in your tone, you better not even breathe in the direction of the knobs. No presets! If I could capture "presets" from my real amps and reproduce them identically, that would be very valuable to me. That said, my money is on Kemper being an utter and complete POS next to Axe FX _or_ a real amp. :)

Did not try the Kemper, howbeit it sounds quite convincing. Personnally I do not consider changing my Axe Fx ULTRA, because I finally get round quite well with the unit and can get any sound (I want). Nevertheless I am aware that the learning curve with FA is something to be considered as one DOES need to put some interest & time in how sound gets shaped, what is the use of Cab IR's etc etc, and this homework DOES take some time. Once through that, for me it took a year, approach to sound in general has been improved and one can make almost about anything with the Axe, whether it be a Std, ULTRA or the II. As regarding it's form, personnally I prefer the rackability of the axe as it preserves the unit from quite some damage in transport.
Well, good to see that new equipment is coming up and that the market is moving. This BTW totally confirms the choice of FA to bring out the II and continue to develop new & interesting products. Let's wait and see ! In the mean time welcome to Kemper which IMHO looks like a fine solution for those that do not need all the options and flexibility of the axe fx.

My buddy Jason just ordered the kemperer and the axe2. I suspect he'll chime in here with a head to head at some point although the kemperer arrives next week and his axe probably 4-6 months since he went the waiting list route.

Back
Top Bottom