Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Plenty of discussion on the Gear Page - modeling forum. Until the KPA comes out, all you'll get is discussions by people who've played neither discussing mp3 clips that don't have the detail to determine if the gear is good.

How about don't care? It's all arguments based on speculation by a bunch of people who have never seen nor heard in person and a select handful of people who actually have one. I would rather not drag the whole 1 VS 2 thing over here also. How about waiting tell they actually go into production then base your decision there?

I have both. It sounds good. Does it sound better than the Axe2? Ummm... not really. Does it sound worse? Nope. Does it sound different? Ummm....yea. It all depends on tweaking (Axe) or the profile (KPA). You can get superb sounds with both units.
Effects in the Axe are much better of course.

This funny looking lunchbox sounds great and you don't have to tweak for hours. The concept is totally different. I owned an AxeFx and didn't like it because it took so much time dialing in the right sound. In fact I never got to the right sound out of it. I am after blues rock sounds not fusion and metal. The Kemper is my tool for such sounds. I even profiled my real amps and they sound just great. I am totally impressed.

I pretty sure that Kemper will add some more good features after they get rid of all the bugs you always get with software operated stuff like the KPA.

Yes, in case the Kemper is this great - I only demo'ed it for an hour in a noisy environment at Music Messe yet - the concept is VERY different from the AxeFx II.

The AxeFx II is my dream machine - almost all seams to be possible - I am NOT limited to profiles of real amps since I can manipulate all important parameters of a real tube amp (in the amp block's advanced settings).
So I can create sounds none existent in the real world - or replicate sounds of real amps.

Yes, to EXACTLY replicate the sounds of a real amp/cab/mic is more complicated with the AxeFx but possible - almost all existing basic circuits of tube amps are available as amp models - there are a lot of CAB models as well - with the option to capture any existing real cabinet/mic with the new IR capture feature.

But this is only one part of the AxeFx fun - the other is to create NEW stuff - and this is not (or only in a very limited way) possible with the Kemper.

The third point is effects - I don't want to compare some basic effects in a static row (4 effects - amp,cab,mic - 4 other effects) with the large AxeFx 4*12 effect matrix.

And I would need two Kemper's to get the sound of two amps at once ;)

Last edited:
This funny looking lunchbox sounds great and you don't have to tweak for hours. The concept is totally different. I owned an AxeFx and didn't like it because it took so much time dialing in the right sound. In fact I never got to the right sound out of it. I am after blues rock sounds not fusion and metal. The Kemper is my tool for such sounds. I even profiled my real amps and they sound just great. I am totally impressed.

I pretty sure that Kemper will add some more good features after they get rid of all the bugs you always get with software operated stuff like the KPA.

Stratmann, just curious, but which version of the AxeFx did you own? Standard/Ultra Gen 1 unit, or AxeFxII? Owners of the AFXII with current firmware are finding that the tones coming from it are getting better and better for "plug and play" type users, or if you start a preset from a blank slate and only insert your favorite AMP and CAB blocks on their default settings. This is a fairly simple process. Certainly the AxeFX products represent an entire world of processing combinations and routing possibilities (a big plus for some, a huge pain in the arse for others), but IMO as time marches forward, the core default tones of the AFXII are getting closer and closer, whether it be "fusion and metal" or with the "blues and blues/rock" tones that you seek.

That said, the Kemper is an interesting unit and will have plenty of fans (if/when it is released to the public in a production model) due to the simplicity of use and the fact that it purports to help the user re-create their own personal amp tones (rather than tweaking amp models as the AFX does). I'm just curious, though, if you have used the AFXII recently, or if your comments are based on a more distant past experience with a Gen 1 AFX, as well as the context of your use of the AFX (FRFR live, studio, 4CM, etc.).

KPA seems like a cool concept, but I was told by someone who played both in a studio that it has 2x the latency if the Axe-Fx.

Whatever people think about the Kemper. One fact is is sure: There was no competition to to the AxeFX before. Now, finally there is a competition (alternative choice), even though both are different devices with different aproaches for different musicians. That's great. It will bring more life into the market of professional modellers. The other good part is the price. Along with a Midi Board (CC capable - Behringer with mod) it is much more affordable.

And it can make profiles of the AxeFx :)

Again - I think both modellers are good and will have satisfied followers. Just for me the Kemper is more suitable. Due to the fact, that the KPA is still not out yet, there are a lot of misunderstandings about all the function and capabilities of the amp. That all will clear up once it is released. Then the discussion will get mor interseting, I guess.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Stratmann, your incorrect assertion that the AxeFx cannot do "blues or blues rock" tones prompted me to look up your history of threads & responses. Ahhhh, it is pretty clear now where you are coming from. You had a difficult experience with gen1 AxeFx in June of 2009, circa firmware 7.xx, and "tested" the AxeFx for a few weeks, and then returned the piece. Since you couldn't get it to work for you, you've regularly chimed in with posts saying that the AxeFx is too tweaky and cannot do "blues or blues rock" tones well. BTW the Ultra is up to firmware 11, while the new gen2 AxeFxII is approaching f/w 4.xx with an entirely new modeling engine and scores of other updates.

Have you used the AxeFxII?

Again, based on your earlier posts, fairly inflexible mindset, inability to manipulate the AxeFx to a successful end, and apparent unwillingness/inability to make a commitment employing a "worthy" speaker system from which to listen, I take all of your comments with a grain of salt.

This is not as much in defense of the AxeFx - though it is - but in defense of clarity and full disclosure of your experiences and opinions, limited as they may be, of said products. Nobody expects the AxeFx to work perfectly well for all, but simply because you make an assertion does not make this assertion necessarily true, especially since many very qualified users (who evidently aren't well-qualified enough for you) have presented opinions and evidence to the contrary. At this point, you come across as being contrary for the sake of being contrary. If you really are sincere in your quest for a tone that makes you happy, you'll at least spend some time using the AxeFxII, hopefully under the watchful eye if a qualified operator in a high quality listening environment using a high quality speaker system.

JMHO, thanks, and Happy Holidays to you.

Stratmann, your incorrect assertion that the AxeFx cannot do "blues or blues rock" tones prompted me to look up your history of threads & responses. Ahhhh, it is pretty clear now where you are coming from. You had a difficult experience with gen1 AxeFx in June of 2009, circa firmware 7.xx, and "tested" the AxeFx for a few weeks, and then returned the piece. Since you couldn't get it to work for you, you've regularly chimed in with posts saying that the AxeFx is too tweaky and cannot do "blues or blues rock" tones well. BTW the Ultra is up to firmware 11, while the new gen2 AxeFxII is approaching f/w 4.xx with an entirely new modeling engine and scores of other updates.

Again, based on your earlier posts, fairly inflexible mindset, inability to manipulate the AxeFx to a successful end, and apparent unwillingness/inability to make a commitment employing a "worthy" speaker system from which to listen, I take all of your comments with a grain of salt.

This is not as much in defense of the AxeFx - though it is - but in defense of clarity and full disclosure of your experiences and opinions, limited as they may be, of said products. Nobody expects the AxeFx to work perfectly well for all, but simply because you make an assertion does not make this assertion necessarily true, especially since many very qualified users (who evidently aren't well-qualified enough for you) have presented opinions and evidence to the contrary. At this point, you come across as being contrary for the sake of being contrary. If you really are sincere in your quest for a tone that makes you happy, you'll at least spend some time using the AxeFxII, hopefully under the watchful eye if a qualified operator in a high quality listening environment using a high quality speaker system.

Dont feed the trolls

net-troll.jpg

Personally, I had no issues getting blues rock tones (which is pretty much where I live) out of my Gen 1 Standard from the start - that was 2008 with Firmware 5.something.

I have demo'd the KPA, own the Standard and have a 2 on order.

Both modellers are great. Both do things differently. You CAN make a KPA spoud like an AFX and you CAN get the AFX to sound like the KPA. How you get there is different. The KPA is more real out of the box - the AFX takes a little work (no-where near as much with the 2 though by all accounts) BUT the KPA is not as flexible. The FX - both routability and amount isnt up to the AFX level - and I have no clue how you use it with an amp/cab (rather than FRFR). Didnt really work in that way when I demo'd it (though I guess it might).

From my perspective, if you want more than basic FX the AFX is the only choice. If you after amp sims its closer. If you want to "clone" a few amps or settings of an amp you own - or if you want 2/3 top quality amps that are another persons ideal (which may well be your too) - then the KPA probably gives this the best - that is easier and closer to the original. If you want the versatility to come up with your own tones, and to change them quickly if needed - then the AFX wins.

If your not going FRFR - then the AFX does a better job IMO.

As I recall, he never stated in this thread that the AFX couldn't do blues or blues rock tones, rather, that HE never 'got to the right sound out of it', and has found a tool for him which will.
Saying that the unit didn't do it's thing for him could hardly be called an 'incorrect assertion'.

What is wrong with stating this, apart from stating his point of view?

Some people just don't like the unit, and should be allowed to say so without a condescending tone in reply.

Secondly, if the AFX 1 didn't do the job for him, why should he fork out additional money for an AFX II, when he seems perfectly happy with a KPA?

The only objectionable part of the whole thread has come from you, jimfist, in your reply, and in what appears to be a slightly OCD tendency to research and patronise those who would express an opinion that is contrary to yours.

Back
Top Bottom