Kemper price and availability

Don't overlook the sweet shoulder strap lol.
Yeah, with that sweet shoulder strap you could go wired into your "amp", but wireless from that to the PA. You'd be the Roaming Amp Man! With the proper promotional deal, you could be dishing out tunes and Amp energy drinks where ever you may roam! <plays that Metallica song>

Since we're talking format, I wonder how big that cavity is in the back. If I could fit my IEM and small Rolls monitor mixer in there all I would need is a nice padded case and I'd actually prefer it to a rack.

The cavity in the back is for an optional power amp - so the Kemper is a full amp head.

The cavity in the back is for an optional power amp - so the Kemper is a full amp head.
But that doesn't mean you have to use it for that. You've seen one, do you think a Sennheiser IEM would fit in there or about how deep is it?

Last edited:
Why are we discussing this here? I wouldn't go to the Gibson website to talk about a new Fender guitar, would I?

Cheers.

Why are we discussing this here? I wouldn't go to the Gibson website to talk about a new Fender guitar, would I?

Cheers.

Why shouldnt musicians who love the world of amp modelling discuss something that sounds cool ? Pods are discussed here, so are 11R and many other amps + guitars - so why not the Kemper ? I'm going to get an Axe II and MFC 101 sure, but nothing wrong with seeing what's new out there right? ;)

Why shouldnt musicians who love the world of amp modelling discuss something that sounds cool ? Pods are discussed here, so are 11R and many other amps + guitars - so why not the Kemper ? I'm going to get an Axe II and MFC 101 sure, but nothing wrong with seeing what's new out there right? ;)

Fair enough, I guess I just see it as a bit disrespectful. There are many other places more suited IMO e.g. TGP, Rig Talk... I guess the difference I see here is this is just a new product discussion, not comparing or relating it to the Axe in any way.

Cheers.

Will I sell the Axe in case the Kemper does all it claims?

No!

-Only the Axe has all this great effects.
-The Axe has a full effect grid instead of stomp-amp-post
-Axe has two amp and cab blocks
-Kemper has only a few parameters to tweak the amp modell.

Maybe we get the option to profile in a firmware or AxeEdit update ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, I guess I just see it as a bit disrespectful. There are many other places more suited IMO e.g. TGP, Rig Talk... I guess the difference I see here is this is just a new product discussion, not comparing or relating it to the Axe in any way.

Cheers.

Not sure I understand why you would think that, no one is bashing the Axe Fx, just discussing other gear.

My Sweetwater rep also said $1850, and that's MAP, but gave no estimated ship date. He also said this product is being treated the same as an Apple product as in nobody will be selling them any cheaper.

In MI I've found this to usually mean that authorized dealers are not allowed to advertise it for a lower price. You can still barter as long as they are in stock everywhere so retail competition actually exists.

My most recent example of this was the new Presonus 16.0.2 (a killer small mixer!). Local shops didn't have it yet, but several dealers on EBay had stock, all listed at the same price of course. Some had the 'make best offer' button while others had it bundled with 'free' mics or studio monitors for the same price, to sweeten the deal but not break the price rules. I didn't need any more cheapie mics on mons, just the board so I made an offer $150 lower and it was accepted.

Being that I am literally first in line for this thing at Sweetwater he wasn't willing to barter. I'm sure he just used it as an excuse because he knows I really want this thing. It's either pay up or lose my place in line. I've bought Ultras in the past for full price so I could skip the wait list, I didn't learn my lesson then so I'm not gonna wise up now lol.

Doubt I'd ever "profile" an amp, and would most likely just use whatever profiles were included, or available. Having said that, I wonder if future profiles (Kemper) would be free to Kemper owners, similar to FAS firmware upgrades.

Sweetwater thinks putting some candy in the box makes up for not negotiating on prices. It's an insipid strategy, my purchases don't get as much scrutiny from my other half when there's candy up for grabs!

Right now it looks like only Sweetwater has the Kemper so they set the price.

Cheers.

Well I'm going to anyway - cuz I'm an insensitive twat :)

I fired off a few pertinent questions to Kemper as details on specifications are still a bit of a mystery.

No 7 pin Midi/phantom power option planned ever

Floor controller compatibility specs being finalised and 'not available for a few weeks' - sounds like they are pushing development their own bespoke controller similar to the MFC to be available when they formally launch. Powered via the cat5 socket or wall wart? No info.

IA ccs to internal stomps and post amp FX are supported - no real surprise there.

No finalised launch list of FX types available - 'still in development'

While it is possible to have 2 output paths - one to FOH with Cab IR via balanced XLR or unbalanced jacks and another with cab IR removed to Monitor out for stage power amp and cabs - the monitor out option is MONO only - so no stereo backline set up unless you split the main FOH stereo outs. Splitting obviously means any cab IR you wanted on the FOH sends would be sent to your backline set up too - FRFR speaker or IEM system friendly but not so much for conventional guitar speaker cabs unless you go the mono route. (OK - so a mono output only isn't such a big deal - unless you have a nice 2 channel valve power amp which can't be bridged!)

I also asked them if you profiled an amp using a mic on it's cab would the cab IR not be integral to the 'profile' and be influential on any subsequent adding cab IRs from the internal library. They just said that the original cab's sonic influence can be removed from a profile - so I assume some of those farts and whistles during the profiling process are aimed at capturing and separating the cab/speaker/mic IR? Dunno how or if that would work well?? Don't think I've seen any demonstrations of them actually showing this 'original cab removal' in action?

The Axe still has the mojo in comprehensive studio/live dual functionality, deep tweaking, FX and portability as far as I can see - and there's still no indication as yet of when the Kemper will actually launch and in what quantities. The Axe range has a proven pedigree and user base and the Kemper is still on the nipple.

The price point difference between the Axe and the Kemper in the US looks like its going to be $750 (based on unconfirmed $1850 tag for Kemper and current full retail of $2600 for the Axe2) - but the difference in the EU will be greater €2300 v €1435 (unconfirmed) = €865 (around $1215).

While the Axe may be still the more desirable IMO - the price difference between the 2 in the EU might be the decider for quite a few newcomers to the digital modelling/profiling genre (and Line6 upgraders ;) ).

EU needs allocated more AF2s FAS!!

(Yes, you guessed it - it's a new angle to try and hurry things up for us over the pond 'whiners' isn't it? :) )

You make some good points. All in all, there are several parameters and differences in "philosophy" between the two products, as well as similarities that allow us to compare them.

As for this:

Well I'm going to anyway - cuz I'm an insensitive twat :)
EU needs allocated more AF2s FAS!!

(Yes, you guessed it - it's a new angle to try and hurry things up for us over the pond 'whiners' isn't it? :) )

Indeed! But there may be grave overtones to Kemper's launch... e.g. full availability in both the EU and the US. In Europe we have to wait several months for an Axe-II, but in the US they have to wait too. Imagine if the Kemper was available off the shelf. But I still have doubts about that, Kemper being a small company after all.

In the UK it looks as though it will be available "off the shelf". It's already being advertised in retail stores in the UK. A different sales model than the AxeFx. We will need to wait and see if there is adequate supply.

In the UK it looks as though it will be available "off the shelf". It's already being advertised in retail stores in the UK. A different sales model than the AxeFx. We will need to wait and see if there is adequate supply.

Well it's a lot simpler to stock the shelves direct from their warehouse to the EU countries' retailers as there's no Import/Export or VAT hassles. As they are a German company I'd expect them to be 'uber-efficient' with everything planned to the last detail .... but, as you say, we'll see. :)

Back
Top Bottom