Keep original V14 and also new V15 sound within one single Preset?

Liquid22

Inspired
Hello everyone!

Just to get it right:
I use a in V14 backuped Preset in V15, copy Amp X to Y, then re-select Amp X and do some tweaking. Hit save.
That procedure will give me the ability to switch between the original V14 sound (AmpY) and the new V15 Sound (AmpX), right?

Or do I miss something that changes the original sound?

No - the 'settings' in AmpY will display your old FW14 values (for reference), but the box will still be using the new, FW 15 algorithms throughout
thumbsup.gif

A firmware update changes the sound. That's all there is to it.

The XY trick you mention simply shows you your previous settings, which don't correspond anyway since the underlying values that the knobs represent have changed.

The amp reset thing just gets things visually "correct" for you regarding the new firmware changes. And yes, it changes the sound as some parameters go back to default at the same time.

Again, the firmware upgrade makes the change in sound, regardless if you reset amps or not.

The X/Y copy thing is convenient for reference to your basic tone stack and GEQ settings.

But not as meaningful for some advanced parameters as the meaning of the advanced values are subject to change more than the basic tone stack settings.

Ok now the whole Inter-Fireware Thing totally confused me.

So Backwards Compatibility only means I CAN USE a Fw14 backuped Preset in Fw15. Not more. I always thought as long as I keep it untouched (i.e. no saving, no amp re-selecting) I get the Fw14 sound.
After your posts my new insight is, that in addition to the sound change through the Fw-updated the Amp re-selecting thing is only needed to update new modelling-parameters /-values or so. And that changes the sound once again.

New Question about the XY trick:
If I copy X to Y, then re-select AmpX, after that copy Y to X back again. Do I now have a Fw15 AmpX with all new improvements but with a more or less similar position/value of the knobs like they where originally. Or do I have to make the manual tweaking and jumping between Amp X an Y because otherwise the "old" amp modelling also would be copied back again?

Ok now the whole Inter-Fireware Thing totally confused me.

So Backwards Compatibility only means I CAN USE a Fw14 backuped Preset in Fw15. Not more. I always thought as long as I keep it untouched (i.e. no saving, no amp re-selecting) I get the Fw14 sound.
After your posts my new insight is, that in addition to the sound change through the Fw-updated the Amp re-selecting thing is only needed to update new modelling-parameters /-values or so. And that changes the sound once again.

Presets are just data.

The modeling is code baked into the firmware.

preset data -> modeling code = sound

Changing the firmware can change the sound if the modeling code was changed.

Changing the preset data can change the sound even if the modeling code is not changed.

Sometimes, as is the case with 15b, the default values for the preset data don't make sense for the new modeling code. So changing the preset data back to default makes sense to get preset more inline with the modeling.

New Question about the XY trick:
If I copy X to Y, then re-select AmpX, after that copy Y to X back again. Do I now have a Fw15 AmpX with all new improvements but with a more or less similar position/value of the knobs like they where originally. Or do I have to make the manual tweaking and jumping between Amp X an Y because otherwise the "old" amp modelling also would be copied back again?

Copying that Y back to X won't give you a FW15 version. It's still the old parameter settings. So really no change there.

I highly suggest forgetting about the old settings and just reset the amp and start from scratch. The old settings may not correspond at all and may not be ideal with the new firmware updates.

O.K. thanks guys. Now things are clearer. I have to do some rethinking. For some presets starting from scratch would be crazy because I already spent hours of very fine tweaking on them.

Back
Top Bottom