Keeley Compressor Inside the Axe-Fx

I was thinking about buying a DBX160a compressor. Mainly because I record a lot of bass. It is supposed to be good for that. But I also want to use it for recording drum computers etc.

Check out the FMR PBC-6A - I think this is awesome for bass (and vocals and many other things). I'd like to get another one for stereo processing.

I also enjoy my EH Black Finger, though it's a bit noisy and somewhat fiddly to tweak because of the massive volume differences between the various settings. I thought I might get rid of it a while back but have ended up using it on loads of stuff since, both bass and guitar.

For plug-ins I use mainly the PSP compressors, which I think are excellent, or the Waves CLA ones. Tape emulation has to be u-he Satin.

I haven't tried the Slate stuff - trying (not always successfully) to stick with what I own.

ok, thanks for the tip! Never heard of that one. Is it better than a DBX160a you think?

I dunno - I've never used one. generally the FMRs are very well regarded in terms of offering 'bang for the buck' but their other two compressors (the RNC and RNLA) don't really cut it for bass IMO. Some people liken the PBC to a poor man's distressor but I've never really used one of those either so couldn't comment. I think it's great though. It's not really 'clean' though, kind of pleasantly furry, really seems to help the bass sit in a mix.

Check out this guy who has reviewed a shedload of compressors for bass.

I'd love to see the compressors in the AxeFX get a similar kind of workover to the one the wahs got a few months ago. They are great and very useful as they are but there's room to make them better.

An 1176 model would be an awesome addition too...

I'd love to see the compressors in the AxeFX get a similar kind of workover to the one the wahs got a few months ago. They are great and very useful as they are but there's room to make them better.

Have to agree. Somehow me and the Axe fx compressor never got along in all those years....
That's why I have GAS for other another hardware compressor right now.

I would love to get the sound back from the Orange Squeeze. I had an AnalogMan Bi-Comp and I kept the orange side on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom