Karnivool

Glad to see some love for the 'Vool on here!

Here's a cool interview that details gear, approach to tones and sounds:

Drew Goddard And Mark Hosking Of Karnivool | GuitarPlayer

...and an even cooler rig rundown video.

Just watched this video (thanks for the link), I've very intrigued with the Electro Harmonix Hog. Does the Axe-fx have anything like this currently? If not it would be awesome if Cliff could hook us up! I'm going to go do some research on that bad boy to see exactly what is is that it does... Also, what is the 'Zilla'?

Edit: Just watched this video of the HOG 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-azdgNxSOs

It almost looks like we already have most of the 'features' in the Pitch Block... except the interface options for frequencies and such. Only thing I would say is that Tone Wheel Organ sound around 4:57 is AMAZING!

Last edited:
anyone able to replicate their tone on the Axe? like the one on Set Fire to the Hive to make that bee/mosquito/fly like sound.

You should definitely watch their rig rundown where Drew also talks about the AxeFX. Yes he only uses it for effects, because he just loves his 5150.

Oh how awesome is this!!!! Their drummer grooves like hell, just a basedrum, snare and hihat and it's just awesome what he does.

Saw that yesterday too - very good!
thumbsup.gif

It was seeing the official video for 'We Are' that someone kindly posted on the Fractal Forum that first introduced me to Karnivool - I'm very grateful for that too!

It's an interesting song because I was instantly aware that it 'felt' different when I heard it live a few months ago - that stripped back version in the Youtube video really exposes the shuffle feel which isn't immediately obvious in the full studio version. Great stuff
yessmiley.gif

anyone able to replicate their tone on the Axe? like the one on Set Fire to the Hive to make that bee/mosquito/fly like sound.

Straight from Drew's mouth:

""That's a ZVex Fuzz Factory. Amazing little pedals. You ramp up the compressor so it's a really squished narrow sound, nasal I get. It's that in conjunction with hammer-ons plus the other guitar on the right hand sound is playing a semitone out from the main riff so it gives that droning, bee-type effect."

And also, pointers on bass tone for Simple Boy and Goliath straight from Jon (bass):

"the bass sound on Simple Boy was combination of I think either the ODB-3 boss overdrive or XXL Tech 21 pedal through an ampeg rig with the valve being driven and then combined with the DI being distorted by Amplitude 1 plugin, live I just use the XXL through Ashdown ABM500/Ashdown fridge in combination with an Aguilar Tonehammer through an Ashdown/Ampeg fridge at the same time. The Aguilar is supposed to emulate the distorted DI tone I had on recording so it has lots of the bass pulled out and sounds kinda horrible by itself. Adds colour to mid range live though.

Goliath was a bit different, it was a combination of ODB3 and a pedal called the Black Stone, which is made in NY and is very small. That was then put through both an Ashdown ABM 500/Ashdown fridge and an Ampeg SVT-2pro/Ampeg Fridge (mind you the studio we did this in had a vintage 70's Ampeg cabinet so it sounded huge. Actually tracked that at same time as drums, so it was a bass/drums live recording. Did same with Deadman in that studio. All else were tracked elsewhere at another studio."

Love Karnivool. Saw them twice for the Sound Awake tour. Talked to Hos a bit - cool guy. Hoping they come back to the US again this year.

btw, check out Dead Letter Circus. Another great band from Australia - also AFX users. And also cool dudes.

anyone able to replicate their tone on the Axe?

I have been working on a 5150 preset but the gain doesn't go down far enough to sound like Drew. There is a clarity to his sound that I just can't find in the Axefx2. Even with all the EQ balanced much the same the quality of the distortion is different. Maybe I haven't tried enough cabs... What I'm hearing in Drew's sound is a certain texture in the low end that I associate with neck pickups... but I'm pretty sure he doesn't use the neck pickup most of the time. Maybe looser sounding than what I get?

So I gave up on the 5150 and just started exploring other amps. Currently on the FAS modern, but still not there.

Maybe it's this speaker simulation he uses mixed with the actual cabinet that makes his sound so unique. Looks like we need IRs for that thingy.

Glad to see other folks enjoy this band. For my money they are the best rock band in the world right now. They really have no weak links from a talent standpoint, and you can tell they spend an immense amount of time songwriting, phrasing, and adding texturing to their songs. It is hard to write impressive musical pieces as a hard rock band and be neither "made for radio, (like a Three Days Grace)", sound like a 70s/80s classic rock band, nor have shredding solos every song with over the top polyrhythms ("Dream Theater/Meshuggah clones"), but they have pulled it off. Oh, and there is no screamo.

They need to come tour the USA.

Big Karnivool fan here too :)
Actually after listening to metal since more than a decade, I was a bit bored by most of the bands becauseI had the impression to always hear the same sound, the same riffs, the same patterns etc And then Karnivool arrived and saved my life :)
I would recommend you the band Dead Letter Circus, very refreshing too.

Regarding the quest for the Holy Grail sound, I'm also trying to get an organic and 3Desque bass and guitar tones à la Karnivool.
I believe a lot is achieved thanks to high skilled sound engineers that does a great job notably with EQing, subtil reverbs, exciters, and stereo widening, but prior to that they need a good recording of their bass and guitars.

Anyone of you have presets with matching cabinets that get close to their bass and guitar tones?

Back
Top Bottom