Karnivool

Ziyan

10491376_10152120967191875_8510244656764555784_o.jpg

Glad to see Karnivool has joined the Fractal fray as well! Do you guys listen to them? If not, you should. Absolutely brilliant band from Australia. (If you haven't heard them, start with the album Sound Awake. Pure aural sex). They have such an amazing approach to their soundscape. Very organic sounds and a really wide array of tones on each song. Completely makes sense that they'd want to compress their massive pedalboards.

Thread here from a while back...

Awesome band - definitely the most refreshing and engaging stuff I've heard in many years - only Bonamassa has inspired me as much during the last half-decade... both very different from each other of course and yet, not entirely 'new' in their respective genres either...
unsure.gif

The last album isn't as 'accessible' perhaps as Themata & Sound Awake, but it still has some great stuff on it
thumbsup.gif

Caught them with Tesseract in UK a few months ago - I believe those guys use Axe FX too, so it was only a matter of time and I thought I saw an MFC on a Karnivool stage Facebook post a couple days ago
smile.gif

I started listening to these guys when they offered their track The Refusal as a free download, I couldn't stop listening to that track for about a week straight! I kid you not, at least 4-5 hours of listening to that song at during the day. I bit the bullet and bought the album. Amazing album. Definitely a very 'raw' sounding album. The free single sounded much lower than the actual album track. I then listened to Simple Boy from their previous album... wow... I listened to that track for 4-5 hours a day for about a week, then at least 20 times a day the following weeks after that! I couldn't bring myself to buy that album for whatever reason until about 4 months later. Unfortunately I haven't been as hooked with the rest of the album. I only really listen to Simple Boy, New Day and Goliath. Asymmetry was amazing from start and finish, especially the last track. Wow! Just blow my mind wow... I actually had their previous album when I was downloading music years ago and never really listened to it. Thermata... still haven't.

Eagerly awaiting Karnivool patches!

Karnivool is good, if you like them you'll like Tesseract. Worth a listen. In fact, Karnivool had one song from Sound Awake i listened to waaaay too many times a couple years ago. That song has a really intense ending...

I couldn't bring myself to buy that album for whatever reason until about 4 months later. Unfortunately I haven't been as hooked with the rest of the album. I only really listen to Simple Boy, New Day and Goliath.

Deadman! How can one not like this track. It's the one that blew me away the most. Because of this I didn't realize how awesome Change is (the track after Deadman) because my mind was in another space because of Deadman. This changed when I saw them live, Change was the best song live. So now I just love the ending of Sound Awake.

But I agree with you, Asymmetry is genious, just like Sound Awake, but in a very different way. Live these new songs are brutal!

Best band I know, period!

I can't not comment on any Karnivool thread... they have been my drug of choice for the last 5 years. And my playing is slowly morphing to sound more and more like them. "What would Drew play?" lol

In terms of getting their sound with the Axefx2 I've been playing with the 5150 models a bit, but they don't seem to clean up as well as their live sound indicates they should. Although I'm hoping that 15.02 helps with that a bit. I've installed but haven't had time to play with it.

The latest Moshcam concert had woeful mastering so I fixed* it and posted it online:
http://sydneyband.com.au/video/karnivool/karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4 [1.029 GB]
You're welcome. *Fixed: EQ to remove low mids and add treble, pulled the black levels down from the dark grey.

Btw Sound Awake was mostly played with "Karnivool" tuning: B F# B g b e (i.e. Drop B for the bottom 3 strings and standard tuning for the top three). However the new album basically has a different tuning for every song:
KarnivoolTunings.png

Last edited:
I can't not comment on any Karnivool thread... they have been my drug of choice for the last 5 years. And my playing is slowly morphing to sound more and more like them. "What would Drew play?" lol

In terms of getting their sound with the Axefx2 I've been playing with the 5150 models a bit, but they don't seem to clean up as well as their live sound indicates they should. Although I'm hoping that 15.02 helps with that a bit. I've installed but haven't had time to play with it.

The latest Moshcam concert had woeful mastering so I fixed* it and posted it online:
http://sydneyband.com.au/video/karnivool/karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4 [1.029 GB]
You're welcome. *Fixed: EQ to remove low mids and add treble, pulled the black levels down from the dark grey.

Btw Sound Awake was mostly played with "Karnivool" tuning: B F# B g b e (i.e. Drop B for the bottom 3 strings and standard tuning for the top three). However the new album basically has a different tuning for every song:
KarnivoolTunings.png

Tried to download the link twice... first time it downloaded 240Mb the second time it only downloaded 60Mb.

Love this band. Been a fan for agggessss now, but didn't manage to catch them when they played the UK a while back. Maybe next time!

Use a decent download manager and resume the download once it stopped.

There must definitely be something wrong from the download server to merit a download manager... I've yet to require one since moving to Firefox years ago. I'll give it a try some other time. Thanks again!

I just saw them yesterday at Sonisphere. One guitarist was using the Axe FX while the second was using the 5150 rig with a monster perdalboard that they used to previously use. The Axe was sitting on top of a Marshall stack - I was wondering if he was actualy using the Marshall, and using the Axe for effects-only...god knows. But together, the band sounded incredible. Very 3D sounding guitar tone, and all the delays and crazy effects sounded awesome live.

There must definitely be something wrong from the download server to merit a download manager... I've yet to require one since moving to Firefox years ago. I'll give it a try some other time. Thanks again!

I'm downloading it right at this moment and it was resumed many times. It's slow, but it works!

In case you are a Mac user you could try the same download manager I use right now. It's a command line application (I'm a linuxer, so I love those) named curl and the command line is

curl -C - -o karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4 http://sydneyband.com.au/video/karnivool/karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4

C/P this into a terminal and hit Enter, the file will go into your home folder. Hit run the command again if the download got aborted.

("-C -" is responsible for resuming the download, -o tells curl to write the download into a file rather than showing the content, which looks awful for binary data, but is nice for text-only data)

In case curl isn't installed on your system, then wget is. I cannot remember which one is and which isn't on OSX by default.. In this case the command line would be

wget -c http://sydneyband.com.au/video/karnivool/karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4

("-c" stands for "continue")

Again, if the download aborts, run the command again and it should continue where it left off. Just don't run both at the same time ;)

Back
Top Bottom