K12 story

boogieman75

Experienced
I bought a k12 about 2-3 months ago and about 2 weeks ago it started cutting out on me at a show. I was using it as an actual monitor via XLR from a Mackie board. I was running the Axe direct to mixer initially. I tried going direct from axe to K12 after another song and it was doing the same thing. After the show I noticed the mic/line switch got changed to mic? DOH!!! So I fired it up the next day set to LINE and it sounded like the tweeter was crackling so I sent it in to QSC for repair. Guy calls me yesterday from QSC and said they found nothing wrong with it.

Would have that switch set to Mic actually cause this? Thinking about putting a piece of tape on it to prevent it getting moved again.

I had a issue with a K10 cutting out and distorting the first night I used it at rehearsal. It wasn't a week old, so I returned it to G.C.
I'm now using a power amp and 1 x 12 speaker cab.

I've had the K 12 about the same amount of time as well, I'm running it as a monitor going out from output 2 of the axe I'm also feeding in an acoustic and a tiny bit of hi hatts from the Monitor desk on the second input of the QSC. The last gig I did it sounded like the tweeter was crackling not all the time but enough to be a pain in the arse, so I took it home for an evaluation in-between gigs and I ran it as hard as I do gigging and not one problem for over an hour of running? :?
With that said the K12 has been loads more reliable than the FBT verve 12ma, I went through 2 (3 in total but one was broke upon arrival) of those before deciding they might not be reliable enough for me!!!!
I've also recently invested in a Wired IEM as I need it for certain gigs I have for the next few years, I've used IEM in the past and liked it so not a problem here and I figure I've got back ups now in case anything does break.

It would be interesting to know if there is a problem with the QSC though?

Jack.

I've got 2 K12s and have run into this exact same issue...cracking sound at times.

I don't believe the issue is the tweeter or speaker in the K12. My theory is the XLR plug does not firmly connect to the cable and this is working loose, especially when the speaker is setup in the monitor position. It has never happened when using the K12 as PA speaker (mounted on poles). Also, it never seems to happen when I use the speaker in the upright position...i.e. only seems to happen when I run in the monitor position. I went as far as to comment on this on the QSC Web site and was not offered any help/advise other than to set it in this mode w/the XLR cable having a stress relief. What I believe we really need is a Locking XLR/TRS plug that can replace the existing plugs in the QSC. I think this is a design flaw and tried to get QSC to respond...no luck so far...Here's the thread, if interested:

http://media.qscaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3296

I had an HPR122i do the same thing, and over the night stopped working. A screw had worked loose on the XLR panel, not a good connection that turned into none at all.

ricepr said:
I had an HPR122i do the same thing, and over the night stopped working. A screw had worked loose on the XLR panel, not a good connection that turned into none at all.

Thanks. I kind of suspected that the XLR connection was the weak link on the QSC stuff. They really could have spent a few more bucks and put in a locking XLR/TRS connector. What did QSC do to remedy your situation or did you repair this yourself? If so, how?

Does anyone know a decent way to secure the connection on the K12 when used in the monitor position?

favance said:
ricepr said:

Does anyone know a decent way to secure the connection on the K12 when used in the monitor position?

duct-tape-rolls.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yea...I kind of figured good ole Duct Tape would work...it works for everything else :cool: ... super glue would probably work well too!

I have a K12 and have yet to have an issue. Yet.

A good friend of mine works for QSC. I'm going to ask him if QSC knows about this issue and if there is anything they are doing about it.

Awesome Dan!

It seems to only happen on mine when in the monitor position. I believe what is happening is that vibrations on the XLR plug in this position are causing intermittent connections. It is definitely not a speaker/horn or limiter issue.

Too bad they did not choose to put locking female XLR connectors on the box...for a few pennies more, I believe this would have solved the issue.

UPS man just delivered the speaker sent back from QSC. I will use it tomorrow night, report back....and hopefully it works.

well...got the K12 back from QSC. I used it 2 out of the 3 nights I played last weekend with no crackling issues. The third night I used the 4cm into a mesa heartbreaker combo loaded with 6v6's, a scumback m75 and vintage 30, and I was really satisfied with my tone. I hit a patch that I thought was using the mesa amp instead of the axefx bypassing the preamp and low and behold it was the axe doing the amp sim! Disabled the power and cab sims of course, and it sounded amazing!!! Even the drummer complemented on my tone and said "Don't change anything!"

I am not sure If I am ready to go FRFR 100% but I know I definitely need to spend more time tweaking it.

Thanks again Cliff for such an amazing versatile product!

They could not recreate the issue. However I did have the mic/line accidentally set to mic after I noticed it crackling but they never said whether or not that caused the problem.

Back
Top Bottom