K, so the FedUps guy dropped these off today....

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
New tunas!
20200827_202555.jpg

itsnotatunah.jpg

MEME2020-08-29-06-27-01.jpg

One set is going on the PRS SE Standard 24, the other on the SG. Never really liked the green knobs on Gibsons.
Will test the minis to see if the PRS knobs will fit, as that would be the ultimate stealth install.... :)

Last edited:
It's easy to get spoiled with locking tuners. Hopefully they work out for you. I replaced my SG stock tuners with grovers too. Turned out great
I am noticing a little bit of neck dive. Might swap the Mini Grover knobs on when I do the 24. Even an ounce or two makes a difference, apparently, with SG balance....

My strap is wide and suede, and has decent traction, so it is not a huge thing. String swaps are a breeze with these....

Watch out for the high 'E' slipping, I had that on quite a lot to those. The tolerances are tight and the metal must be harder than the string at the cam lock.

Speaking of locking tuners, does anyone have any good recommendations for a Stratocaster?

@Joe Bfstplk yeah some of the tuner heads can be HEAVY. I think the Schaller ones are really heavy duty for example
The Fender branded locking tuners were always fine for me. what tuners do you currently have on there? The ones with the two little metal nibs that the headstock is drilled for? If so Schaller makes a drop in locking tuner that will be a direct replacement.

Edit: and you can get them with staggered posts and remove the string tree.

The Fender branded locking tuners were always fine for me. what tuners do you currently have on there?
The stock tuners on whatever comes shipped for a 2010 Am. Standard stratocaster.
They seem fine, but man I love locking tuners. I completely forgot Fender had their own line of locking tuners, may end up going that route. Thanks, man!

I have several sets of the Fender, staggered height locking tuners. They work great!
They have the 2 snake fangs to locate the tuners on the headstock.

The Fender branded locking tuners were always fine for me.
Yeah same here got them with a Tele I purchased. And ended up getting two more sets one for another Tele and also a Strat.

Like you I got the staggered also. About 5 years with 3 different guitars, no complaints!

The strings arrived yesterday from Stringjoy, so I swapped these in at the same time:
20200902_223721.jpg

As it turns out, the knobs swapped perfectly, so it's a stealth job. Good thing, too. The mini "mushroom" knobs looked a bit silly on this guitar....

Sweet. I just ordered grover roto locking tuners for my Epi Les Paul. Should be getting them in a few days. Hoping they will be a straight drop in replacement.

I have locking tuners on almost all of my guitars, including the ones with Floyd’s. I’m addicted to how they make string changes easier/faster.

Back
Top Bottom