JUSTIN CREW (Metallica/Kirk Hammett's Tech) INTERVIEW // Doug Doppler

I’m a hobby player who owns guitars and a fractal. In addition to the unit itself and the consistent innovation the company has delivered, the value add is what I’ve learned from all of you over the last several years. I’d love to spend a day or two with a guy like this just shadowing him. Fantastic video and homage to the value of fractal.

Nice interview, I set up some rigs for pro users here in Italy and it's very motivating for me trying to make them comfortable with digital (or new digital unit) as they were with previous rig. Guitar Techs are amazing and it's a pleasure to speak with people who "speak" exactly your same language (and I have to say that, for me used to work in studio, it's even better with stufio guys ;-) )

we needed to guess what the 2nd amp was.
so what is it indeed? I'm guessing a Marshall of some sort? Perhaps FAS Hot Rod even?

Loved this interview, btw. Justin seems like he's the best dude for a guy like Kirk not just skill-wise but also personality-wise. Had a tear in my eye when he was talking about the younger tech coming up to him.

Anybody know if the rig pic in the video is available somewhere?? Looks like Hammett using just one preset but using 8 scenes for the entire gig per his 2 Dirty and Clean Axe-FX

Did you shoot the questions again after the interview so you could be sat there with the guitar in a nice room?

at 9:00 - I wonder what parameter he's talking about?

So... the 9:00 moment.

This was years ago, but here's my recollection. There was actually a delay of one day between those before/after moments, so that's me and Chad and Justin, with the rig, into the evening, making new mixes of the IRs we'd shot. Chad would have been the golden ears on that session, since he seems to have an invisible network cable between his head and Het's. Then, we did a tone match between the "accurate" live rig and the "adjusted" sound, and used the tone match AMOUNT control to set its desired impact. I forget, but I think "Amount" is printed into the IR that gets exported from the tonematch block -- meaning that our final step after the "YES" was to serially combine that "adjuster" onto the individual left and right custom IRs.

When I called Cliff, I always remember thinking I sounded like Luke Skywalker on the radio to Threepio after the trash compacter was shut down.

So... the 9:00 moment.

This was years ago, but here's my recollection. There was actually a delay of one day between those before/after moments, so that's me and Chad and Justin, with the rig, into the evening, making new mixes of the IRs we'd shot. Chad would have been the golden ears on that session, since he seems to have an invisible network cable between his head and Het's. Then, we did a tone match between the "accurate" live rig and the "adjusted" sound, and used the tone match AMOUNT control to set its desired impact. I forget, but I think "Amount" is printed into the IR that gets exported from the tonematch block -- meaning that our final step after the "YES" was to serially combine that "adjuster" onto the individual left and right custom IRs.

When I called Cliff, I always remember thinking I sounded like Luke Skywalker on the radio to Threepio after the trash compacter was shut down.
Oh, that's really interesting - so you're saying it wasn't the difference between the IRs we use today and the real cab, it was a parameter when capturing those IRs?

RJM did a livestream with Chad the other day, Good interview and they throw up some images as well, the pics are also on RJM's Instagram

Here's a great interview with master guitar tech Justin Crew (Metallica/Kirk Hammett's Tech) conducted by Doug Doppler.

Kirk and Robert joined Kamasi Washington on stage at the Hollywood bowl and the guitar tone was killer. Knowing it was an Axe FX was all the better

Back
Top Bottom