Just Tried My New QSC K10.2 with the FM9

@ezvictor

What a clever idea. I have just recently started using my QSC K10’s as an FRFR so I can take advantage of the FM3 & 9 modeling. I previously was playing through a Mesa Boogie MkV 25 and using the FM mainly as a pedal board for effects. After trying the QSCs I was a little disappointed that they are so bass heavy. Through trial and error I finally was able to tame a lot of the bass by changing the settings on the back to Vocal Boost for HF and Normal for LF. I also used the Output 2 Graphic EQ under Global settings to dial out a little more bass. But I never thought about switching the LF adjustment on the QSC to send the really low ranges to the non-existent sub. This may allow me to put some of the other adjustments back into a more normal range.

Thanks for mentioning that. I will give it a try tonight. 👍

BTW. After I got the QSC’s dialed in, I really like the way they sound. More functionality with the FM modeling and they move plenty of air just like an amp, but with more range. Cheers!
The low end on the K wedges is strong and add floor resonance coupling and it can get woofy quick. With the hpf engaged on the k12, I’ve never felt like I was missing low end. It does a great job cleaning up the sound. Cheers

Had the 108, went to a k10.2, both of these were used with a ASC-12 for shots and giggles in stereo, big fan of qsc .2 series. Had a couple of 12.2s for mains around 2017. The k10.2 was decent but has some kind of thermal shut down that is overly sensitive and maybe even defective. It shut down and had to reboot and " checking for blown amp" it was returned and never to be considered again. This is some kind of update from qsc, which has probably been fixed and qsc has an outstanding warranty and CS. However, I have zero interest in gambling on some frfr reset at a gig or even practice at home. The 108 sounds good, the challenge with it for me was , when you start getting it up to stage volume it's a 8" speaker which is almost studio monitor size. It's not 2000 watts no matter what spec sheet you want to consider. It sounds great with the axe no question. The k10.2 is very versatile and its cost and sound are more directed at mass applications and not modelers.. does not make it a bad option, does it sound better than a 108? For 3 times the price it better. Seems a tad un resourceful to buy a pa main for bands or a DJ and use it as a guita speaker. However , if you want to blast your music thru it and use it as frfr for fractal maybe a great choice. For my money 700 + tax = something that doesn't accompany shutting off unless its being pushed so hard its vibrating my windows at least.The k.12 pair Inowned performed flawlessly as mains for a band for several gigs, these were purchased before the update that accompanies the newer .2 series. It may have been removed on newer models

I remember barking up the tree of 'correction IRs'. Personally, I feel the pursuit of 'flat response' is futile considering the tone will ultimately be colored by a number of other factors anyway. I spent a lot of money/time on different speakers, mics, EQ curves, etc etc, and it wasn't worth it.

As most have already indicated, find a setup that sounds good to you, and run with it. That involves much more than just 'flat response' such as clarity (probably most important), feel, sound at various volumes, etc.

For me, running with a Orange Pedal Baby + Guitar Cab is the winner for sound and feel while maintaining great clarity. No IR's for me anymore.

I should add usually I run the cab as my on stage monitor, and send FOH a CAB emulated signal. I do set my FOH tone using headphones, and I'd probably benefit from tweaking on-site to the actual room, but by all accounts people say it sounds good. The FOH also applies their own EQ and compression anyway, so I figure why bother. People say it sounds awesome, so leave it alone.

We run a pair of QSC 12.2 speakers with the QSC subs when we play live and absolutely love the sound. I use one of the 12.2 at home with my FM9 for practice and building presets. Highly recommended.

I tried the K10.2 - Unfortunately, I had a faulty one and sent it back and of course they were sold out everywhere so I couldn't get another at that time :(

I was going to get another, but the 8" is appealing. Are CP8s loud enough to use with the band? I would not be sending my signal through the board.

Last edited:
I have been using a pair of 108's with my FM3 and FM9 at practice for months now. The boosted low end does get in the way sometimes (depends on the song), and there is some harshness to the treble that I find displeasing. I recently switched to running through a regular 4x12 powered by a tube amp power section (via FX return) and am pleased with the results. I still like the 108's due to their convience and size, but the experience has me curious as to what else is out there. I want to try a couple 1x12's with f12-x200's in them...

I’ve never been 100% happy with my Headrush 112, for reasons similar to your 108’s. Just bought a F12-x200. Running in an open 112 cab until I build a new box. I’m sold on these. I’ve been running it solo but also in stereo with the Headrush because they actually work well together and it sounds huge. Going to build another F12 cab so I have a pair.

Had the 108, went to a k10.2, both of these were used with a ASC-12 for shots and giggles in stereo, big fan of qsc .2 series. Had a couple of 12.2s for mains around 2017. The k10.2 was decent but has some kind of thermal shut down that is overly sensitive and maybe even defective. It shut down and had to reboot and " checking for blown amp" it was returned and never to be considered again. This is some kind of update from qsc, which has probably been fixed and qsc has an outstanding warranty and CS. However, I have zero interest in gambling on some frfr reset at a gig or even practice at home. The 108 sounds good, the challenge with it for me was , when you start getting it up to stage volume it's a 8" speaker which is almost studio monitor size. It's not 2000 watts no matter what spec sheet you want to consider. It sounds great with the axe no question. The k10.2 is very versatile and its cost and sound are more directed at mass applications and not modelers.. does not make it a bad option, does it sound better than a 108? For 3 times the price it better. Seems a tad un resourceful to buy a pa main for bands or a DJ and use it as a guita speaker. However , if you want to blast your music thru it and use it as frfr for fractal maybe a great choice. For my money 700 + tax = something that doesn't accompany shutting off unless its being pushed so hard its vibrating my windows at least.The k.12 pair Inowned performed flawlessly as mains for a band for several gigs, these were purchased before the update that accompanies the newer .2 series. It may have been removed on newer models

Just saw your post. Was the issue with the K10.2 saying "damage to speaker?" If so, I've encountered the same issue with my speaker. I had it plugged into multiple inputs and cranked, but I've heard its a common issue that could be fixed by downloading the update. I'm actually planning to buy a tube amp to use when I'm jamming or playing live, so I'll probably just use the K10.2 as a monitor.

The cabinet I plan to buy is a Hughes and Kettner 2x12. I'm actually curious, could I play my FM9 through it? Or would it be an issue since its not an FRFR type speaker?

Just saw your post. Was the issue with the K10.2 saying "damage to speaker?" If so, I've encountered the same issue with my speaker. I had it plugged into multiple inputs and cranked, but I've heard its a common issue that could be fixed by downloading the update. I'm actually planning to buy a tube amp to use when I'm jamming or playing live, so I'll probably just use the K10.2 as a monitor.

The cabinet I plan to buy is a Hughes and Kettner 2x12. I'm actually curious, could I play my FM9 through it? Or would it be an issue since its not an FRFR type speaker?
It's been a while so bare with me, I was using it in stereo at rehearsal 1st time. Hadn't noticed a volume drop, returned home and plugged everything in , when i powered the qsc on i noticed the LCD was reading " powered off for amp protection" I cant remember the exact words, but something similar, I had returned it once this happened to GC, was in a grace period. Recently I saw a thread about th k.2 series having trouble with this from some update they rolled out. It's on the web, maybe was even here I saw it. When I returned the qsc I was not aware of this update or problem. Others have reported it. QSC is an outstanding company so if you own k.2 series your in good hands. The older k.2 s I had purchased did not every cut off or have the update and I'm thinking this is why. The update may have been added or updated when I had the k10.2 and not the k.12.2 would make sense. The k10.2 may have actually been older than the k12.2 I purchased back in 2017. Anyones guess. Hope this helps and I'm sure the information I'm speaking of is available, as I found it by reading frfr threads. Cheers

It's been a while so bare with me, I was using it in stereo at rehearsal 1st time. Hadn't noticed a volume drop, returned home and plugged everything in , when i powered the qsc on i noticed the LCD was reading " powered off for amp protection" I cant remember the exact words, but something similar, I had returned it once this happened to GC, was in a grace period. Recently I saw a thread about th k.2 series having trouble with this from some update they rolled out. It's on the web, maybe was even here I saw it. When I returned the qsc I was not aware of this update or problem. Others have reported it. QSC is an outstanding company so if you own k.2 series your in good hands. The older k.2 s I had purchased did not every cut off or have the update and I'm thinking this is why. The update may have been added or updated when I had the k10.2 and not the k.12.2 would make sense. The k10.2 may have actually been older than the k12.2 I purchased back in 2017. Anyones guess. Hope this helps and I'm sure the information I'm speaking of is available, as I found it by reading frfr threads. Cheers

It definitely helps, thanks!

I’ve never been 100% happy with my Headrush 112, for reasons similar to your 108’s. Just bought a F12-x200. Running in an open 112 cab until I build a new box. I’m sold on these. I’ve been running it solo but also in stereo with the Headrush because they actually work well together and it sounds huge. Going to build another F12 cab so I have a pair.
What amp are you using? Small? Cheap? 🤞🙃

What amp are you using? Small? Cheap? 🤞🙃

Picked up a Crown xls1000 for a decent price. 200 watts per channel, Class D, and it’s light. Done lugging heavy stuff around. Sounds good to my ears. So now I have 2 FRFR options. And they sound very different from each other. I like the F12 better but think the HR is probably more accurate since music sounds good through it. That hopefully will change when I build the spec box.

I read here that the key to the 108 or the 112 is to get them on speaker stands. I bought speaker stands and I thought they sounded excellent, expecomma especially for the money they were not bass heavy at all. Congrats on the new speakers though.

I read here that the key to the 108 or the 112 is to get them on speaker stands. I bought speaker stands and I thought they sounded excellent, expecomma especially for the money they were not bass heavy at all. Congrats on the new speakers though.
We'll likely be the odd men out on this, but I agree with what you said, speaker stands reduces the bass and need for contour in the 108s.

I keep mine with the 108 base just above eyebrow level, and when I sit and play in front of my computer, or stand and play. I have no personal complaints about the sound or tone. However, I've not tried A/B-ing the 108s against anything else with speaker stands, so in this instance, the point is moot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom