Just saw new John Petrucci rig video and I wonder why he doesn't go 4CM

modificaz

Well guys, the moment I heard that JP is joining forces with FAS, I knew that some of his live effects would be ditched in favor of the ones in the Axe-FX. I'm talking about the post-amp rack effects here, as JP kept his pre-amp stompbox pedalboard (ie compressors,overdrives,phasers,flangers), his tuner and his rack-wah.

Anyway, I didn't expect him to go 4CM with an Ultra back then. But what about now that the 2G is a unity gain device equipped with hum-busting circuit? I just looked at the most recent JP 2011 rig video and I was surprized to see his stomp pedalboard still into the signal chain.

Maybe the 4CM way doesn't pair well with the Mark V's?
Maybe they didn't have time to integrate 4CM during the ongoing tour?

I wanna hear your opinions on this guys.

PS. I noticed in the video that, after the Axe-Fx 2, the signal becomes true stereo(2 poweramps in 2 4x12 cabs). I assume that he uses the Stereo Enhancer effect to widen the stereo image of his rhythm patches.

If he likes them ole stompboxes, why wouldn't he just keep 'm?
It's not that he has to carry the big rack himself.

Simple answer is he using the mesa's for his pre and power amp sounds and is using the AF-II as an effects processor(best you can buy).
:)

Why shound he replace the real thing with a digital model?

The AxFx is after all the best effect box - even if some prefer stompboxes and tube amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not presume to know what he 'likes', but any major artist has a stack of paper a mile high of endorsement contracts with equipment manufacturers that he is careful to honor.

I don't think the endorsement thing plays a significant role on this particular question we are discussing because JP does have endorsements with TC Electronics, Eventide and Hermida (according to his website), but I don't see any of these devices in his new rack.

On the other hand if JP ditches his stomps in favor of the 4CM -because on the sonic level I believe that the Axe-Fx 2 can proudly be a replacement for his pre-Mark V stomps (Dunlop rack excluded)-, he will lose his secondary endorsements (keely, mxr, boss etc)

So you guys say that the AX2 cannot outperform that stompbox pedalboard because of the analog effects the latter has, plus the endorsement obligations?

It is your last guess Modificaz...

In fact... John used 4CM with his Ultra rig! Just before switching to the Axe-Fx II (= while they were packing for the tour!) he changed a bunch of things around in the Ultra rig to cover the new material and ended up with some pedals out front instead. We didn't have time in my last few sessions with him to have a fresh pass at 4CM but Maddi and I talked about doing this when we can get back together.

Last edited:
Armin,

To answer your question about why one might replace the real thing with a digital model (as if this question needs to be answered here of all places ;)

John has always been very excited about the flexibility of the Axe-Fx. When we set up his 4CM rig for the Ultra, it was not unheard of that things would be reprogrammed more than once a week. Different types of chorus, boost, eq, phaser, etc. in front of the amp... different routing... different types of drive,different delays, etc. (Heck, even last week I stopped by a gig and we changed his Multitap from QuadSeries to Plex Detune ;-)) This is not for dissatisfaction but for a kind of edgy exploration. He is as much of a tweaker as he is a virtuoso, and finds it fun to shift things as ideas evolve and emerge. All the greats I have worked with share this trait. They are fluid.

Now, it's always possible to scratch that itch with boxes of new pedals being shipped in to this hotel or that one... but to be yanking cables and rewiring a pro rig on the road, however-- is NOT fun or smart. A quick hookup at a local gig, or a GoToMeeting on a day off (John and I once collaborated between Buenos Aires and New Jersey) and the Axe-Fx (whether in the loop, out front, or both) allows him, and many other musicians to stay inspired.

Last edited:
I could also hazard a guess or two as to why the rig is the way it is....

- some of the old stomps may be there as they were a crucial part of a moment in an older song
if the Axe 2 is new in the rack, maybe he's not yet had the time to dial that in and it's easier to use the stomp..
or maybe he has no intention of trying to reproduce it and it's easier left as is...

- having control over the temperature of the sun comes in 3.1 and that software drop ain't available yet

- having control over the temperature of the sun comes in 3.1 and that software drop ain't available yet

Incorrect. JP's firmware is a special version 2.0JP, which has special IA access for temp up and down as well as world domination mode. It is why it took so long for him to turn to the axe and axe II. It took Cliff a long time to model those features. direct quote "I thought modeling the IIC+ was tough, but it was nothing like the sleepless nights trying to decode controlling the temp of the sun...and then world domination mode just put me way behind my sleep schedule"

awesome... lol... stellar modelling.... lol..

I bet a blue giant sounds awesome.... and dial in a little supernova type Ia.. lol...

Guess I'll see the rig next week.

Just scored a second row seat for their show here in Austin next Wednesday. I'll be lonely, but close! Never seen them live before.

Guess I'll see the rig next week.

Just scored a second row seat for their show here in Austin next Wednesday. I'll be lonely, but close! Never seen them live before.
(it's an awesome show and you will not be disappointed! they do a little acoustic set in the middle to mix it up. but they hit a lot of classics. you'll see!

you also can't get spit on by portnoy now. what, too soon??? :razz)

Back
Top Bottom