Just recieved my axe fx 2 - help!

nick1527

Inspired
Hi all

just got this on Tuesday and i've (unfortunately) not had much of a chance to play around with it.

in the hr i have spent with it im getting nasty digital clipping and at very low volume.

I used to have a pod which i just plugged the output of into my focusrite 2i2 input and used the direct monitor to route to my AV40's.

This same approach - 1 cable from the right unbalanced output of the output 1 section on the axe fx into the input of the focusrite is resulting in very low levels of volume and any increase in volume is giving me nasty digital clipping.

Im sure im just not doing something right but i've had a look through the manual and online and im stuck.

any help would be appreciated!

cheers

Nick

yeah i tried that. I think im just going to need to spend some time and isolate the problem (what im doing wrong!) i started thinking it was the monitors but they work fine for everything else and high volume.

Is the red output clip light on the Axe coming on? Does it sound the same via the headphone out of the Axe?

im going to check it with headphones tonight.

I made up a patch with the ts808 straight into a recto (red) and then into the OH v30 4x12. nothing else in the signal.

without adjusting anything other than the amp eq and the level (up high) and drive (down low) on the TS would it be likley that its just the amp block master volume being too high thats causing clipping?

finally, if i reduce the amp block master volume will this not mean i wont be able to achieve 'high' volumes through my monitors (i like to play loud sometimes!)?

Do you have a RED OP Clipping LED? if not then your output levels arnt too high. Its possible your ts808 Output is too hot fot the amp block I guess, and possibly the amp blockl OP could be clipping the cab IP (though unless you have the master and level high thats unlikely). Id try lowering the Drive block level first.

I susspect its more likely that clipping is at the focusrite input rather than the AFX though. The AFX can put out a blinkin hot signal.

You haven't by chance got the cab block bypassed have you, in the patch or globally, cos that makes it sound really bad.

Maybe do a system reset to be sure you haven't inadvertently changed something like a global setting.

What do the factory presets sound like?

You are not supposed to adjust output level with the master volume. You should adjust it with the amp-block-level parameter right beside the master.

im going to check it with headphones tonight.

I made up a patch with the ts808 straight into a recto (red) and then into the OH v30 4x12. nothing else in the signal.

without adjusting anything other than the amp eq and the level (up high) and drive (down low) on the TS would it be likley that its just the amp block master volume being too high thats causing clipping?

finally, if i reduce the amp block master volume will this not mean i wont be able to achieve 'high' volumes through my monitors (i like to play loud sometimes!)?

Do you have a RED OP Clipping LED? if not then your output levels arnt too high. Its possible your ts808 Output is too hot fot the amp block I guess, and possibly the amp blockl OP could be clipping the cab IP (though unless you have the master and level high thats unlikely). Id try lowering the Drive block level first.

I susspect its more likely that clipping is at the focusrite input rather than the AFX though. The AFX can put out a blinkin hot signal.

I reckon this is what it is as well. i will go direct to the monitors later and see how that goes.

The red lights on the axe (for the outputs) only indicate that something is clipping inside the axe fx's patch/sound chain. They don't indicate any clipping that might occur in the input of any other equipment that the axe is plugged into (it cannot auto-detect what you connect on it's outputs so as to auto-adjust the output levels).
The axe's outputs are pretty hot (that's a good thing), so it is possible (or rather likely) that if you have a patch with lots of gain and high master AND a high output level (in the amp block), you could clip the input of various devices.
To compensate, you just need to bring down the level control in the amp block (there are actually many places where you can lower your overall volume/level of a patch but I think the best way to do it is to use the level control).
Just place in an empty patch a drive, an amp, a cab, adjust the drive and master in the amp block so that you get the kind of sound and feel you want and then lower the level in the amp block until the clipping stops completely in your input device (in your case the focusrite).
Also, if you see that the clipping occurs in certain freqs (e.g. the lower notes of chugging riffs), you can always adjust the low cut (or hi cut depending on the application) to control the overbearing low (or hi) freqs that cause the clipping.

so i took the focusrite out of the signal chain and it fixed all my problems. it does mean i need to use the axe as my interface at the moment which im not keen on - personal preferance. I have since lowered the gain globally as it seems to sound better to me that way so i might give it another go with the focusrite.

sounds great so far though!

Nick, are you using Line Level inputs on the Focusrite? I know on my Ensemble if I hit inputs with preamps, I would have to run those channels low. Line level inputs are perfect volume however.

Back
Top Bottom