Just Received AX8...something must be wrong.

rayneman

I thought I'd just plug it in after watching some of the tutorial vid I purchased. Guitar - AX8 - Line 6 L2M.

This L2M sounds GREAT with my Amplifire.

AX8 sounds like there is a octave fuzz going on. Like there is a 2nd tone I am hearing beneath the preset tone...I reset the parameters as per the video. I must be doing something wrong...my guitar isn't clipping the input and I haven't changed anything in the I/O or anything. Also, the tone is very muffled and not "bright" or anything I'd expect say, an JCM 800 preset to sound like. Yuck.

I guess I should turn this off and finish the video and read more of the manual. I did buy it used (i.e. bought by someone else and immediately shipped to me) but I don't think previous owner did much, if anything, to this in the hours he had it.

Again, I suppose I should RTFM but wow, this isn't what I thought was going to happen.

Can you record a soundclip - best way to troubleshoot - Could you be clipping the output?

I have attached a preset for you to try - 8 scenes, each have different levels of gain - The first should be clean on most guitars going to quite distorted on scene 8.

Attachments

• Brit Silver JM45.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 12
Considering you bought it used I would do a complete system reset and reload all the factory presets. It won't hurt and can only help in terms of starting you at the same place as anyone getting a new one out of the box.

I am reloading firmware and factory presets and will go from there.

Thanks Smittefar for preset and suggestion. At this time, I really only have an iPhone with which to record, so not sure if that helps. Once I figure how to load a preset like you've provided I will surely test it.

I am pretty sure my L2M is working properly as my other modeling unit sounds fantastic through it.

Hopefully the restore and some more research will improve things.

At this time, I really only have an iPhone with which to record, so not sure if that helps. Once I figure how to load a preset like you've provided I will surely test it.
anything helps, usually.

if you've installed AX8-Edit, after opening and connecting, just drag the .SYX file from your desktop/folders to the Preset Name area of AX8-Edit's main view.

I am certain I have power amp modeling on, cabs as well. Same results after a complete restore. I guess I can tweak these presets to where they sound much better, but nearly all are unusable as loaded. I guess this is ok, I haven't really ever used a factory preset untouched. Oddly, there are two Marshall JVM presets that are bright, crunchy, punchy and pretty darn close to what I'd consider a great high gain tone with zero tweaking needed. I've used Charvel, Gibson, PRS, and other guitars with the AX8, so its not a guitar thing.

Thanks for the help so far.

You really should try to make a recording - I am sure we will be able to hear it on an iPhone recording as well - maybe compare with the amplifire sound (if you still have it)

And maybe create a support ticket

A couple of things. I plugged the AX8 into the "power amp in" of a little Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I have. Right there everything sounded 100% better, even through this way-less-than-ideal setup. I originally was testing the AX8 with my Line 6 L2M in my office, so I moved that Line 6 out into our big basement room where all my amps and cabs are. Plugged the AX8 back into the Line 6 unit, and in this bigger room it was markedly better...still too much bass though, however I was able to mitigate this by tweaking the bass and depth of several of the high gain models I've been testing with (Recto, Cameron, 5153 Red, Marshal JVM...since I have these as well) and got some very usable tones.

I've been running the Line 6 L2M on "reference" mode as I thought I should. There is also an "electric guitar" mode as well and this drastically changes the tone...the "reference" mode really pours on the low end and the guitar mode seems not to have this going at all. My understanding is that "reference" is the true FRFR mode of this particular powered speaker. All the bizarre octave fuzz stuff I was talking about seems to have disappeared...I wonder if this Line 6 thing puts out so much bass that it was doing weird things in my (fairly small) office.

At this point, I am fairly certain there is nothing wrong with the AX8, I guess I need to get used to how it reacts with my line 6 device, and that somehow, there is more low end from the AX8 than there was from the Amplifire. Overall, now that I have it sounding better, there is a clear improvement in the amp sounds over the Amplifire (which I thought was great too).

I am hoping to get some recordings together when I can get some alone time in the house where I can lay into some more volume. I'd like for you guys to hear this low end thing I am talking about, though I am now convinced its due to the Line 6 speaker and not the Fractal. I like the Line 6 and would like to keep it, as its relatively light (compared to the Friedman ASM-12 I had) and easier to carry around, and can be set up easily in several positions (even the logo turns so it always looks like its set up correctly, lol).

Thanks for the help.

One of the first things I did with mine was to go to the global EQ and drop some low end right off. I can't remember exactly how many bands , but the "highest" band I cut (of the lows) , I slowly brought it down while listening, until I decided upon how many db.
Gets rid of the flub on recto and high gain amps , and gets me out of the bass players space too.

One of the first things I did with mine was to go to the global EQ and drop some low end right off. I can't remember exactly how many bands , but the "highest" band I cut (of the lows) , I slowly brought it down while listening, until I decided upon how many db.
Gets rid of the flub on recto and high gain amps , and gets me out of the bass players space too.

I am glad to hear someone else has noticed this! <scampers off to locate Global EQ>.

Back
Top Bottom