Just ordered an RCF NX 12SMA

Hi there, I'm trying to make up my mind and I found your post quite interesting... I'm trying to leave the traditional rig (stompboxes+Fender Twin 65... so heavy!) with axe fx ultra.... and, what else? something like the Matrix GT800fx + some passive speakers, or simply a RCF NX 12SMA?
Any help to jetspeed woulde be very useful to me too! thanks!

I am getting a fEARFULL 'bass' enclosure from Art of Noise. The fEARFULL spec is really flat FRFR monitor, but one able to produce really low fundamentals, which is good since I play guitar, bass and an 88 key keyboard through my Ultra (and soon, my II - after 6.something). Art of Noise bumps the spec up even higher with a super rigid, yet super lightweight enclosure. My 12/6/1 system will weight under 40 lbs, play flat (and LOWWWW), and have no cabinet rattle. Google fEARFULL and Art of Noise (or even fEARFULL bass Enclosures) and you'll find 'em.

I have 2 RCF NX12 SMA's and I have used one and two with the AxeFXII. My opinion is that these are probably the best of the middle of the pack in terms of FRFR. I think they are outstanding for cover bands since they need to be as neutral as possible to reflect the diverse sounds coming out of the AxeFX. If I were you, I'd definitely get one and test it out within the return period. Make sure you are comfortable with lack of "in the room" sound that you most likely get from your 65. In isolation you might not think anything of it but if you set the FRFR right next to your 65 and A/B test them, you'll probably notice it. However, the versatility will probably outweigh the lack of "in the room" sound since you've already mentioned the weight of your current rig and the need to perform covers. Lastly, perform your own QC on the speaker. It sounds like a substantial number of these speakers had QC issues that will be audible. Thankfully, neither of mine exhibited any of the issues and it sounds like RCF has either solved the QC issues or is getting better at addressing them.

PS get a bag for it. The handle is inadequate... nice that it's there but it's not balanced or comfortable. RCF sells a bag but there are other options.

What is high end of the pack? This thing sounds awesome to me and very in the room. On the Bags.. the RCF bag makes you use the handle on the cab so it's the same deal.. what bag are you using?

Dave

I Downloaded a few minutes of patches recorded direct from my fractal on my MP3 and on wed I will go to a store to reproduce them on a nx10sma and nx12sma... I think It is the best possible try!

Happy to hear. What's your taking on the 10" compared to the 12"?

I haven't heard a lot about it, but what I heard is that they would be quite comparable on lower volumes with favorable headrom to the bigger speaker on louder volumes.
Specs-wise, the 10" is
  • 2kg (~14%) lighter
  • 10cm (~18%) less wide
  • 300€ (~22%) cheaper

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom