Just ordered an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Man

If I could design a guitar, this would be it. The specs are fantastic, wish I could get a Gibson with these specs..... Arrives tonorrow:

410622-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Prophecy-Red-Tiger-Aged-Gloss.jpeg

Body​

• Shape: Les Paul
  • Material: Mahogany
  • Top: Carved Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer
  • Weight Relief: Ultra Modern

Neck​

• Neck: Mahogany
  • Profile: Asymmetrical SlimTaper with Contoured Heel
  • Nut Width: 1.693" / 43mm
  • Fingerboard: Ebony
  • Scale Length: 24.724" / 628mm
  • Number of Frets: 24
  • Nut: Graph Tech NuBone XL, Black
  • Inlay: Block and Triangle, Abalone

Hardware​

• Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic
  • Tailpiece: LockTone Stop Bar
  • Knobs: Knurled Metal, Brushed Nickel
  • Tuners: Grover Locking Rotomatic
  • Plating: Brushed Nickel

Electronics​

• Neck Pickup: Fishman Fluence Humbucker
  • Bridge Pickup: Fishman Fluence Humbucker
  • Controls: 2 Volume (Push/Pull Coil Splits), 2 Tone (Push/Pull Vintage/Modern Pickup)

Such a cool piece of kit! I absolutely love the Tiger Olive finish in this model. Enjoy!

I was tempted to get both plus a V.

Truth is I bought 2 Gibson during lockdown and the QC was so bad it put me off Gibson for life....or until they release something exceptional. I then bought an LTD and it just blew the Gibson away so I am more open to mid priced guitars.

I have always said after about £700 the benefits to a guitar are more vanity than practicality sometimes.

As far as I am aware they are Chinese mate. I know the Indonesian guitars get a bad rap, but whilst the electrics needed a little work, my LTD was Indonesian made and is flawless..... Actually so is my Jackson.

I think it took a while to sort the QC out. I wish Gibson would!

Well, the thing turned up so thought I would do a quick review:

Disclaimer: I have only played the guitar for an hour so things may change.

Visuals
This is one beautiful guitar and absolutely perfect, no paint bleed, binding looks perfect, really cannot fault it. This is what I expected my Gibson's' to look like but sadly they were quite poor. The binding is perfect, the satin finish on the back and neck is extremely pleasing and what can I say, very impressed.

Playing
The weight is really nice after playing a Gibson with weight relief and remembering gigging a Gibson Traditional with no relief at all. I will say I like a guitar that's weighty for some peculiar reason, but I wouldn't say that takes away from the Epiphone. The asymmetrical slimtaper neck is wonderful to play. Now I am not a wizard neck fan, and I sold my Gibson Traditional as the neck was like a fence panel, but my other guitars are slim C shaped necks, Gibson and LTD, and I prefer the Epiphone neck by a long shot. The satin finish really helps and is very nice but the actual shape of the neck is wonderful for me. The jumbo frets are one of the reasons I wanted to own this guitar.

Setup
What setup? It was dreadful (this was a b-stock guitar so I am not blaming Epiphone) and whilst it was tuned to E it was more suited to being in Eb and even D. The strings buzzed and the pickups were so low you couldn't get an artificial harmonic out of it to save your life. Took 10 minutes to get it set up how I like to have my guitars though, still with a bit of buzzing.

Unfortunately that is where the positivity ends so far:

Whilst the guitar is great, the pickups are not to my liking and I feel it takes a lot of effort to get some feel and artificial harmonics are difficult to pull out. Reminds me of owning a Variax where the models didn't quite react properly and everything took more effort.

Comparing the PAF setting to the Gibson, their is no bass or real weight to the sound. It does warm up but nothing a small amount of eq couldn't simulate. It does sound OK, no WOW factor, but I think once you have played a Gibson, it's hard to go back.

Online there was some positivity around the single coil settings, but to be honest, my LTD sounded better and like all split coils it just sounds like a weak humbucker.

The modern sound on rhythm is very nice, albeit a little bright, but still very nice, clear and really nice sounding. Flip it to the lead setting and it sounds very brittle, weak and almost loses any note clarity.

OK, I have not spent a lot of time with it yet. My biggest disappointment is the fact I love the guitars look and playability, and I would keep it for that reason as I have a spare pair of Alnico Pro 2 pickups, but with it being active I'd have to replace all of the electrics.

Not giving up, will be having another play tonight as I didn't have the time to set an amp up for the pickups.

Man

If I could design a guitar, this would be it. The specs are fantastic, wish I could get a Gibson with these specs..... Arrives tonorrow:

View attachment 92332

Body​

• Shape: Les Paul
  • Material: Mahogany
  • Top: Carved Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer
  • Weight Relief: Ultra Modern

Neck​

• Neck: Mahogany
  • Profile: Asymmetrical SlimTaper with Contoured Heel
  • Nut Width: 1.693" / 43mm
  • Fingerboard: Ebony
  • Scale Length: 24.724" / 628mm
  • Number of Frets: 24
  • Nut: Graph Tech NuBone XL, Black
  • Inlay: Block and Triangle, Abalone

Hardware​

• Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic
  • Tailpiece: LockTone Stop Bar
  • Knobs: Knurled Metal, Brushed Nickel
  • Tuners: Grover Locking Rotomatic
  • Plating: Brushed Nickel

Electronics​

• Neck Pickup: Fishman Fluence Humbucker
  • Bridge Pickup: Fishman Fluence Humbucker
  • Controls: 2 Volume (Push/Pull Coil Splits), 2 Tone (Push/Pull Vintage/Modern Pickup)
Bought an inspired by Gibson Les Paul Modern a while back. An sound every bit as good as LP Standards I’ve Played. Tell me how you like the Fishman’s after you play them for a while, I’m interested in what you think

Attachments

• FB0D6EFF-D3A8-4EFB-8E98-929D229F3FA9.jpeg
    FB0D6EFF-D3A8-4EFB-8E98-929D229F3FA9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
Bought an inspired by Gibson Les Paul Modern a while back. An sound every bit as good as LP Standards I’ve Played. Tell me how you like the Fishman’s after you play them for a while, I’m interested in what you think
Beautiful guitar bud, used to have a red Gibson Classic and sold it.... Regret that.

I managed to play for around 3 hours switching between a Gibson Classic with Burstbuckers and an ESP LTD EC-1001TCTM with EMG 57 & 66 active pickups.

I switched between all guitars to make a comparison. The playability of the Epiphone is spectacular, its strange how the 24 frets make a 22 fret guitar feel really short when switching! I would say it's worth the money for the playability alone but it's a big step replacing the electronics.

Switching between the Gibson and the Epiphone PAF setting there is good and bad. The Fishman removes some of the low end the Gibson adds to the sound when playing rhythm which is actually quite nice, just tightens it up and adds some clarity. But, and I don't know if you feel this, there is something about the bounce of the strings under your finger with a Gibson, almost a bassy burst of muted distortion when you bounce your hand off the strings, and I love that feel. With the Fishman, it just sounda a bit scratchy than bassy.

The PAF sound is really good on Rhythm and I would say it's quite a nice sound. If you wanted an alterative PAF rhythm sound I would say it's great, if however it was to replace a Gibson PAF sound, then I'd stick with the Gibson.

The lead PAF sound isn't bad too, but it isn't good. It loses that aggressive mid range in favour of a more rounded and muted sound with a sharp element. This is probably the ceramics having there effect. The lower lead notes are quite clear and sound good, but the further up the neck I went the more brittle it sounded.

With the more modern sound, I really like the rhythm setting, really bright and just overall modern but not too clinical. Compared to the EMG in the LTD, the LTD was both modern but warm sounding. Both I would say sounded great, but I actually preferred the clarity of the Fishman.

The Lead sound with the EMGs is very clear, aggressive and makes you want to play, like the Burstbuckers, once you break into some lead it's hard to stop. Polarised sound from the Fishman, the lead sound is brittle, horrible to listen too and very sharp sounding. The further up the neck I played the more uncomfortable on the ear it became and playing lead then barring two notes made the pickups lose a lot of clarity.

On the Axe I could dial in quite easily a lovely amp sound, the Fishman Rhytbm played really well with a very pushed JCM800, but I just couldn't get the lead sound to sound inspiring.

To make sure it wasnt the Axe, I plugged in my Silver Jubilee, and it was pretty much the same result.

All in all, the guitar is fantastic, the pickups are not.

Saying that, I am not giving up yet, the guitar itself it's so nice I want to make sure I rule out all options.

If I could buy a Gibson with an asymmetrical fretboard with 24 jumbo frets I'd take it in a heart beat as I love the scale, the neck, the look and literally eveything about it.

I hope that helps, I will put some more info up tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Visuals
This is one beautiful guitar and absolutely perfect, no paint bleed, binding looks perfect, really cannot fault it. This is what I expected my Gibson's' to look like but sadly they were quite poor. The binding is perfect, the satin finish on the back and neck is extremely pleasing and what can I say, very impressed.

Playing
The weight is really nice after playing a Gibson with weight relief and remembering gigging a Gibson Traditional with no relief at all. I will say I like a guitar that's weighty for some peculiar reason, but I wouldn't say that takes away from the Epiphone. The asymmetrical slimtaper neck is wonderful to play. Now I am not a wizard neck fan, and I sold my Gibson Traditional as the neck was like a fence panel, but my other guitars are slim C shaped necks, Gibson and LTD, and I prefer the Epiphone neck by a long shot. The satin finish really helps and is very nice but the actual shape of the neck is wonderful for me. The jumbo frets are one of the reasons I wanted to own this guitar.

Setup
What setup? It was dreadful (this was a b-stock guitar so I am not blaming Epiphone) and whilst it was tuned to E it was more suited to being in Eb and even D. The strings buzzed and the pickups were so low you couldn't get an artificial harmonic out of it to save your life. Took 10 minutes to get it set up how I like to have my guitars though, still with a bit of buzzing.

Whilst the guitar is great, the pickups are not to my liking and I feel it takes a lot of effort to get some feel and artificial harmonics are difficult to pull out. Reminds me of owning a Variax where the models didn't quite react properly and everything took more effort.

Comparing the PAF setting to the Gibson, their is no bass or real weight to the sound. It does warm up but nothing a small amount of eq couldn't simulate. It does sound OK, no WOW factor, but I think once you have played a Gibson, it's hard to go back.

Online there was some positivity around the single coil settings, but to be honest, my LTD sounded better and like all split coils it just sounds like a weak humbucker.

The modern sound on rhythm is very nice, albeit a little bright, but still very nice, clear and really nice sounding. Flip it to the lead setting and it sounds very brittle, weak and almost loses any note clarity.

OK, I have not spent a lot of time with it yet. My biggest disappointment is the fact I love the guitars look and playability, and I would keep it for that reason as I have a spare pair of Alnico Pro 2 pickups, but with it being active I'd have to replace all of the electrics.

Not giving up, will be having another play tonight as I didn't have the time to set an amp up for the pickups.
Great it's working out for you. You could do A LOT worse than just the pickups (which I usually update on my guitars). Glad the instrument itself is awesome.

I owned a Prophecy a few years ago that had stock Gibson 498/490 pickups. It was a fantastic build. I would have kept it if I didn’t hate Les Paul guitars. I’m more of a strat build guy, especially when it comes to the neck.

Great it's working out for you. You could do A LOT worse than just the pickups (which I usually update on my guitars). Glad the instrument itself is awesome.
To be honest, if they were passive pickups, I would just swap them out. As they are active, I'm not sure there is much value in replacing pickups, pots etc to keep the guitar.

I am not giving up as it is truly great, the ebony fretboard is nice.

I owned a Prophecy a few years ago that had stock Gibson 498/490 pickups. It was a fantastic build. I would have kept it if I didn’t hate Les Paul guitars. I’m more of a strat build guy, especially when it comes to the neck.

Its funny you say that, I would love a Tele, a Jag and a Strat to add to my collection, problem is, I bloody hate Fender guitars, expecially the neck!

They also look like the most boring guitars in production. My friend loves Fenders, I always express that a Les Paul looks like a man's guitar, Fenders look like your Nans guitar lol.

But in saying that, I am eyeing this up:

preview.jpg

For those interested, I packed the Epiphone back up. Whilst I like the guitar, the pickups felt to much like I was playing a Variax, no punch and very sterile.

More money for the Gold Top I am eyeing up.

I absolutely LOVE mine. I agree that the pickups are a bit different, but only in terms of feel. They still feel like active pickups, no matter how much marketing blurb Fishman come up with, though they are better than anything from EMG I have played. But they sound glorious, IMO. I love the 'Burstbucker' voicing especially. The fretboard is fantastic. It just feels and sounds like a premium instrument.

I absolutely LOVE mine. I agree that the pickups are a bit different, but only in terms of feel. They still feel like active pickups, no matter how much marketing blurb Fishman come up with, though they are better than anything from EMG I have played. But they sound glorious, IMO. I love the 'Burstbucker' voicing especially. The fretboard is fantastic. It just feels and sounds like a premium instrument.
I think if you like the pickups, I very much doubt you could do better at that price range, for Christ Sake you get an ebony fretboard lol.

What is funny is a friend bought the Flying V version and raved about it but all the reviews sound wise where awful, very bland sounding and a bit sharp eq wise. I put it down to YouTube and the reviewers recording capabilities. Low and behold it sounded exactly like the reviews, and more so like the worse one I found.

I am not against active pickups too, I have EMGs in my ESP, these just didn't do it for me on a personal level. I agree with you, Fishman do blow there own trumpet a lot about these pickups, but they do not sound like EMGs, they do not sound like PAF pickups and they do not sound like Single Coil pickups, they have there own sound why not promote that.

I think if you like the pickups, I very much doubt you could do better at that price range, for Christ Sake you get an ebony fretboard lol.

What is funny is a friend bought the Flying V version and raved about it but all the reviews sound wise where awful, very bland sounding and a bit sharp eq wise. I put it down to YouTube and the reviewers recording capabilities. Low and behold it sounded exactly like the reviews, and more so like the worse one I found.

I am not against active pickups too, I have EMGs in my ESP, these just didn't do it for me on a personal level. I agree with you, Fishman do blow there own trumpet a lot about these pickups, but they do not sound like EMGs, they do not sound like PAF pickups and they do not sound like Single Coil pickups, they have there own sound why not promote that.
Funny, I just bought this very guitar today. I wasn't planning on it. I never even had it in my sights really until i was at the guitar store. I was initially checking out a Gibson LP STandard 60's and was hoping I'd love it. Guy at the store hands me the prophecy and I immediately liked the neck better. I don't have any experience with Fishman pickups. I had it plugged into an EVH 5150III at the store and it was way too much gain. I can't believe I just said that out loud. Took it home here to test with my gear and will see if it stays.

Visuals

Playing

Setup

I purchased a Charvel with those Fishmans in it, and returned the guitar. The pickups did not work
for me even a little. I thought maybe it was just me.

Not as modern and tight as EMGs, not as sweet as PAFs. I couldn't figure them out, and why there
are so many being put in guitars, and some great players using and endorsing them.

Be interesting to see what you think of them over time, Chewie. :)

Funny, I just bought this very guitar today. I wasn't planning on it. I never even had it in my sights really until i was at the guitar store. I was initially checking out a Gibson LP STandard 60's and was hoping I'd love it. Guy at the store hands me the prophecy and I immediately liked the neck better. I don't have any experience with Fishman pickups. I had it plugged into an EVH 5150III at the store and it was way too much gain. I can't believe I just said that out loud. Took it home here to test with my gear and will see if it stays.
Chewie

If you like the neck but not the guitar, check out the Gibson Modern as that seems to be the only Gibson with an Asymmetrical Slim Taper neck.

In regard to the Epiphone, it’s an exceptional guitar for the money, just those pickups are cheap sounding to me.

Back
Top Bottom