Just made a Quantum leap

benson

Inspired
So just upgraded from v14.02 to Q1.05, love what I'm hearing so far but now faced with the daunting prospect of rebuilding all my presets.

I'm playing through a mk1 AxeFXII, Matrix GT1000FX and NL212 so no cab sims. In the past I've used numerous GEQ and PEQ blocks following advice on the forum so I'm looking for any similar best practise or lessons learned tips from the more experienced members. My objective is to keep the palm mute chug whilst being heard in the mix, get the best "in the room" feel, keep the fizz down and get the best eq for stage use,

I realise the best approach is to start from scratch and use my ears but I'm not great at this stuff and tend to know what I like but failter on how to get there, any help gratefully received!

Wow that's a huuuuge jump!! Hope it goes well! :eek: Although, I have rebuilt mine recently since going to Quantum (I do incremental upgrades tho) and I was much happier with the results. My advice is try to find a cab that works well for you and experiment with the different amps through it. I found cab #54 (4x12 pre rola) works very well for me.

Definitely play with the de-phase parameter on the cab block for that "in the room" feel.

How far from Southampton are you btw?

Wow that's a huuuuge jump!! Hope it goes well! :eek: Although, I have rebuilt mine recently since going to Quantum (I do incremental upgrades tho) and I was much happier with the results. My advice is try to find a cab that works well for you and experiment with the different amps through it. I found cab #54 (4x12 pre rola) works very well for me.

Many thanks, I'm using an NL212 guitar cab so don't use cab sims. That's why I went down that route, far too much choice for a simpleton like me to cope with otherwise!

Definitely play with the de-phase parameter on the cab block for that "in the room" feel.

How far from Southampton are you btw?

Thanks, any tips on which why and by how much? I'm probably an hour from Southampton.

Wow.... that was a big jump. I would suggest trying your presets without the Peq and geq. Also try different amps there have many new additions and many sound better. Most amps only need gain,bass,mid, treble & master adjusted to taste.

Dephase is in the cab block and can't be used without an ir or cab block

I have found that later versions of firmware require less tweaking. Just reset the amp, adjust the BMT, adjust the preamp compression and I am there.

I’m running same setup with 2 NL212 (stereo) and with cab sim ON and almost never use E.Q.

I went from 1.00 to 1.05 and tested all yesterday at rehearsal, I must say there is an improvement, all sounds more fat, more “there”, more meat, I really liked the results and BTW I didn’t touch none of my presets, all stayed the same.

To the OP, did you tried cab sim ON with the NL’s? these are not the standard / average speakers, they do sound different and I find that I like them with cab sim ON.

I’m running same setup with 2 NL212 (stereo) and with cab sim ON and almost never use E.Q.

I went from 1.00 to 1.05 and tested all yesterday at rehearsal, I must say there is an improvement, all sounds more fat, more “there”, more meat, I really liked the results and BTW I didn’t touch none of my presets, all stayed the same.

To the OP, did you tried cab sim ON with the NL’s? these are not the standard / average speakers, they do sound different and I find that I like them with cab sim ON.

Wow, never tried with cab sims on hefore, always thought it was taboo. Any recommended amp and cab IR combos with this setup?

Doh, I should have read your post properly, you don't need a cab block and all my advise was pretty much around that!

FWIW, I use cab #54 as it seems to work well on most amps! :)

If you're jumping that far I would just setup an amp and start simple, if you run into any issues take it from there. At this point the odds of you need an eq to get where you want are probably pretty slim :)

Wow, never tried with cab sims on hefore, always thought it was taboo. Any recommended amp and cab IR combos with this setup?

Taboo? Seriously? Why?

There is no right or wrong, there is your ears only.

I always use cab sim ON, I get a great sound all the time, especially with these NL212, there is simply more details in these cabs.

I compared them side by side with a Mesa 2x12 rectifier driven by a MK5:25 and there was an obvious difference.

Also A/B them with my Axe and Carvin 2x12 v30's and yes, huge difference.

BTW, these (Carvin 2x12 v30) were my least favorite, a little harsh for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom