olorin

SRV tone - check
Clean Bassman tone - check
Slightly broken up Bassman tone - check
Marshall tone - check
U2 tone - check
Who Hiwatt tones - check
Endless sustain tone from the TS808 boosting a Rat into a clean Bassman - check

Anyone doubting using this live - do not.

I have a friend that picked up his AX8 a bit after I bought mine. He didn't gel with it and returned it. He's since came out to see me playing with it live and immediately regretted the decision. He put the money towards a custom guitar build. He'll be in love with that when it finally comes in. But he mentioned that every time he happens to come support my group he'll kick himself for returning it because of how I make it sing at gigs. Love it.

Last edited:
It is funny because just about every time I hear clips of me I think man sounds like me...like the me I have wanted to sound like lol

I was just experimenting with a preset using a drive into a clean amp and I'm diggin this idea! Gonna give this a shot later.

I have been chasing, believe it or not - the Springsteen tone from the 1978 Darkness tour. His tele was on fire that tour, his tone was fat and when he kicked in the distortion he had seemingly endless sustain. From the Houston video of that tour he had 2 Tweed Bassmans on stage and word is he cascaded one MXR Distortion + into another to get that tone. When I try that on the AX8 it is way too thin. The TS808 into the Rat gets me there.

It's so cool to have 2 different distortion tones - a Marshall one and this sustainy one at the stomp of a switch.

And what I really love is I have set the Expression pedal up on one of my presets to bring the Bassman from clean to dirty at the sweep of the footswitch. I can adjust it to whatever amount of breakup I want. Then I kick in the TS808 to give it a bit more. When I then kick in the Rat I bring the gain on the Bassman back to clean using the Expression pedal otherwise the distortion gets really sloppy.

SRV tone - check
Clean Bassman tone - check
Slightly broken up Bassman tone - check
Marshall tone - check
U2 tone - check
Who Hiwatt tones - check
Endless sustain tone from the TS808 boosting a Rat into a clean Bassman - check

Anyone doubting using this live - do not.

Too bad u didn't have clips so we could judge for ourselves.

I have a friend that picked up his AX8 a bit after I bought mine. He didn't gel with it and returned it. He's since came out to see my playing with it live and immediately regretted the decision. He put the money towards a custom guitar build. He'll be in love with that when it finally comes in. But he mentioned that every time he happens to come support my group he'll kick himself for returning it because of how I make it sing at gigs. Love it.
His name isn't Nick is it?

I have been chasing, believe it or not - the Springsteen tone from the 1978 Darkness tour. His tele was on fire that tour, his tone was fat and when he kicked in the distortion he had seemingly endless sustain. From the Houston video of that tour he had 2 Tweed Bassmans on stage and word is he cascaded one MXR Distortion + into another to get that tone. When I try that on the AX8 it is way too thin. The TS808 into the Rat gets me there.

It's so cool to have 2 different distortion tones - a Marshall one and this sustainy one at the stomp of a switch.

That's funny you should mention Springsteen's tone on that tour. The Houston show you cite is the first time I saw Springsteen. Someone returned four twelfth row seats which we bought day of the show. I didn't particularly like or know him before this show, but I was completely blown away. Yes, his tele was absolutely nasty in the best possible way. Is the video commercial video, YouTube, bootleg or??? I'd love to see it.

It amazes me occasionally to find out that something was video taped that I no idea of. A friend sent me a DVD of the Houston show of the Who by Numbers show that I also attended and it turned out that I was right to have been blown away by the show. It wasn't just naive teen amazement.

Means: Post some clips of your stuff before asking for clips from others.

Well, I do post my presets in the exchange. Is that not enough? Do I need to post Soundcloud clips as well? I like hearing good tones so maybe I can use them. If someone says their tones are stellar, please post so we can hear them and maybe use them. That's all, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

One man's coffee is another man's tea. Let me see what I can put together. To be honest part of my trepidation is that I am simply an adequate guitarist, by no means am I anything to write home about. My gift is both vocals and guitar - the old sum of the parts is better than each part individually.

And yup, Houston '78 is all over Youtube. The Prove It All Night and Streets of Fire solos rock. His Tele/Esquire into Bassman sounded like it was gonna explode.

Back
Top Bottom