Just got the Axe 2 and have a few questions

H Smith

Inspired
1. First when I updated to the latest firmware via usb I never reached 100%, just 99%. It never was a failure message on the axe but it said "lost connection" after I had turned off the axe for 5 secornds. But it seems fine so is it?
2. Do you also have to upgrade the presets/banks each time you upgrade firmware?

I want to buy a midicontroller have a chance to buy Vooddoo ground control cheap. Is it good? Can you run it on phantom power as well? As the "Axe controller"? Wcich cables do I need?

1. Did you update via Axe-Edit? If you connect to the Axe via Axe-Edit what Firmware version is stated on the top of the window?

2. The firmware will update all presets to use whatever new features which have been introduced - so you might have to listen to your user presets to see what's changed and tweak to amend. You should ensure that you backup everything before you do a firmware update then you have a fallback. FAS also usually post up the default current firmware release factory banks/presets on their site so you can install them if you want and then replace your user presets from your backup.

3. The Ground Control Pro is fine as a controller - obviously not as Axe specific as the MFC but it certainly works well albeit with less IA buttons than the MFC. You can use a 7-pin midi cable to connect from Axe to GCP and send power for the GCP down it via the Axe or use a standard 5 pin midi cable and supply power to the GCP by plugging in the power supply directly into the floor unit.

OK
Yes via axe-Edit. It`s says the new firmware but it was like it didn`t finalize as it should.
OK so I need to send the new banks to the axe also with each firmware update
The MFC isn`t wireless neither?

Why is it firmware for the MFC? It`s not firmware for Ground Control? The presets sounds the same from the MCF and ground control? I`m a newbie..

Isn`t the midicontrollers often used quite a distance from the where the Axe is placed?

Try a really long cord.

And use the front panel to confirm which firmware version you're on. Press UTILITY and page over.

Isn`t the midicontrollers often used quite a distance from the where the Axe is placed?
The Axe II can be used with a CAT5 network cable, which also supplies power and has no problem reaching distances that would be extreme (and expensive!) for 7 pin midi. I don't think there are many normal stages you couldn't reach with the MFC and CAT5. Another advantage is that replacements are as close as your nearest Walmart or BestBuy (or whoever sells computer gear in your area).

That said, I used the GCP for years and it also worked very well with my Axe Ultra before I got the MFC. If you have a hot deal working on one, go for it. It's a solid unit.

OK
Yes via axe-Edit. It`s says the new firmware but it was like it didn`t finalize as it should.
OK so I need to send the new banks to the axe also with each firmware update
The MFC isn`t wireless neither?

Whoa ... hold on a minute lets get it straightened out here :)

Re Firmware update - just do as Webb says above to check the Firmware version is correct - if its 5.07 then you should be ok - if the lack of 'closure' from Axe Edit during the the first update annoys you then you can always do it again to see what happens.

You don't have to download and send the newest stock factory banks to the Axe after each firmware update - the presets on all Banks on the Axe will be updated in situ during the firmware update - BUT a firmware update might add new parameters and alter the engineering of your own tweaked and saved presets so you should ensure you do a full backup of all banks - or at very least your user presets and a system backup before doing any firmware update.

In simpler terms, a firmware update will not overwrite your existing presets - but might affect the internal parameters that make them and alter how they sound/operate meaning you might need to go in and re-tweak a few things.

The MFC is similar to the Ground Control Pro in that it is a midi controller - but the MFC as its made by FAS has some Axe specific settings in it which makes it easier to interact/set up with the Axe2.

Both MFC and GCP need connected to the Axe via some sort of cable - Midi 7 pin or 5 pin works in both and the MFC has option to use just a ethernet/Cat5/Network cable - supplying power and midi traffic all in one.

The GCP has a few less buttons than the MFC but it can be set up to work just fine with everything - if you're getting it for good price then it's probably worth trying it out - if you want probably the very best controller for the Axe then you will need to fork out for the MFC.

I'd recommend downloading the manuals for each and looking at each one's features to decide which you want.

I have a GCP and it works good (but I want the extra buttons now so I'm going to get a MFC).

Back
Top Bottom