Just got my FM3 on Tuesday...

MikeBrooklyn

Inspired
I'm coming from an Ax8 and I just haven't been able to wrap my head around just using the 3 switches in a fast paced live environment. I have a show this Saturday and I play in a cover band playing everything from GnR to Lady Gaga. I went ahead and ordered a FC6 to be overnighted because I'm freaking out that I'm going to get confused during the show with just the 3 switches since we have very little downtime between tunes.

Am I overreacting?

I'm coming from an Ax8 and I just haven't been able to wrap my head around just using the 3 switches in a fast paced live environment. I have a show this Saturday and I play in a cover band playing everything from GnR to Lady Gaga. I went ahead and ordered a FC6 to be overnighted because I'm freaking out that I'm going to get confused during the show with just the 3 switches since we have very little downtime between tunes.

Am I overreacting?

How many sounds do you need per song ?
How many amp models did you use on the AX8
switching presets between songs is going to be the best choice set Switch one w a layout link to get back to the presets layout
so you use scenes during the song the quickly load the presets layout and select next , you could also have the presets in order if you have your set list ,to increment up one after the other .as long as you have pre planned lists

Am I overreacting?
You can set up each switch to toggle between 2 scenes and also program a hold function as well. This means you can have access for up to 6 scenes and 3 other functions. You can also add a 2 switch unit such as a Roland FS7 and have 2 more switches you can program just as you do the switches on the FM3.

It’s a fact that it’s easier and faster to press switches that have the thing you need ready to go compared to needing to change views or layouts first, then press the switch. So if you “need” that faster access for whatever reason, that’s why the FM3 is expandable with FCs or other devices.

My first few gigs with the FM3, I took the FC6 with me as a sort of “training wheels” to get used to the system. I focused on what I really do and need during the gig, and now majority of my gigs i take only the FM3 and a single simple switch for changing views. I need just 2 views on 1 Layout mostly, so that’s “6 switches”. Some gigs I only need 1 view. Some gigs benefit from the FC6 as well. But this is going to be different for everyone.

3 switches will work for some and won’t for others. It’s all about what you need to do during the gig, and your approach to organizing the switches and access.

How many sounds do you need per song ?
How many amp models did you use on the AX8
switching presets between songs is going to be the best choice set Switch one w a layout link to get back to the presets layout
so you use scenes during the song the quickly load the presets layout and select next , you could also have the presets in order if you have your set list ,to increment up one after the other .as long as you have pre planned lists
It’s a fact that it’s easier and faster to press switches that have the thing you need ready to go compared to needing to change views or layouts first, then press the switch. So if you “need” that faster access for whatever reason, that’s why the FM3 is expandable with FCs or other devices.

My first few gigs with the FM3, I took the FC6 with me as a sort of “training wheels” to get used to the system. I focused on what I really do and need during the gig, and now majority of my gigs i take only the FM3 and a single simple switch for changing views. I need just 2 views on 1 Layout mostly, so that’s “6 switches”. Some gigs I only need 1 view. Some gigs benefit from the FC6 as well. But this is going to be different for everyone.

3 switches will work for some and won’t for others. It’s all about what you need to do during the gig, and your approach to organizing the switches and access.
That makes sense Chris I definitely feel like I need training wheels. The unit sounds stellar though I’m excited to use it

Am I overreacting?

Don't think of the FM3 as a device that only has 3 switches (Downgrade from Ax8).
Think of it as a smallest, brain piece, of a modular rig, that can have as many switches as you need, and as little as 3 switches. (That's an upgrade to AX8), Buying the FC6 to complete your rig was a good move.
Though, there are other ways you could have went... For example, you can connect momentary switches directly to the switch inputs. Would have been cheap, and save space...

whether I use it or not, that's a comfort that helps me relax and be in the performance instead of the mechanics of the performance.

BINGO! Whether it's a single guitar into a small single channel amp, or various guitars into a high end modeler, if you're having to think too much or worry about the mechanics, you're missing out on why you're on stage in the first place.

Unless you're Pete Townsend.
He loved stress on stage!
source.gif

BINGO! Whether it's a single guitar into a small single channel amp, or various guitars into a high end modeler, if you're having to think too much or worry about the mechanics, you're missing out on why you're on stage in the first place.

Unless you're Pete Townsend.
He loved stress on stage!
source.gif
YES! that's the reason I started using MIDI to change presets. Less tapping to do

I can get by with the 3 switches, but definitely prefer the 3+6 setup when gigging. More stuff is right there in front of me and, whether I use it or not, that's a comfort that helps me relax and be in the performance instead of the mechanics of the performance.

I don't think you're overreacting.

I agree. When I get my FM3, I will definitely get a FC6 before using it live.

Back
Top Bottom