Just got my first RCF NX12 SMA

I played with my new RCF NX12SMA for few days,and what I've found is :

1.I like the amp and coaxial speaker (it's real 700 watt of clean RMS power !)
2.I don't like original RCF enclosure in sense of replacing the real,good guitar cab feel and sound (sounds to small at low end to my taste..it's only small wedge monitor..anyway quite big sound for such small cab..)

I installed all insides of RCF in to my DV Mark 2x12 vertical cab and deferent story !
Now it sounds more like real guitar cab with FRFR,and I quite like it :)

Of course I installed coaxial speaker on top,and also my lower original B&C speaker connected (after few tests) in series to woofer wires of RCF speaker,so now it has load of 16 ohms at woofer channel instead of 8 ohm (less stress on the amp)..Looks like still sound solid and balanced along with the horn etc..

This way I've got the best of both worlds..

DV Mark cab weights 13 kg..After this mod it is 14 kg ! 700 watts great sounding active FRFR guitar cab ! Sweet :)

So far sounds great.
Will test it life this weekend and will know more..

Thanks,
jacek

Gutsy move... You have to wonder what that did to the low end response, Did you enclose the top section?

Gutsy move... You have to wonder what that did to the low end response, Did you enclose the top section?
All I know now.. I didn't like it in original box, and I like it now..To my ears everything sound better guitarwise, tone etc..especially low end response is more open..Overall sound is less equed,if you like..less digital..warmer and rounder..One thing I know I couldn't replace my previous power amp and cab setup for what orginal RCF speaker gave me..Now I like it a lot :)..
And those new OH IR's changed a lot too !

No,I didn't enclose top section.

Anyway I bought RCF from FAS forum used ,so I didn't care about warranty etc..(you don't have to destroy anything,just unscrew few scews and make some nice hole in the back of your guitar cab (of course batter to use fresh piece of plywood)..

I'm sure that all the guys who didn't like original RCF feel, would like it, if they have some 1x12 or 2x12 spare speaker cab and install this thing as I did :)

Thanks,
jacek

Last edited:
I use the QSC K12s and would be very interested to hear how the two compare. From what I understand the RCF NX 12-SMAs are floor monitors only though, because of their directionality. Would love to know your thoughts Kruegmeister.
I ran my Axe II through the K12 for quite a while. I was content. Kept hearing about the RCF NX 12-SMA til I couldn't stand it and ordered one up. Impulse buy. Best choice I've made in a long time. The minute I plugged it in, I was blown away at the difference. Get it. You won't regret it.

My Initial Impressions are that the RCF NX12 SMA seems like it had a tad more Bass compared with my PA Mix which is pumping into JBL SRX725s and MRX528S. Thats (4) 15" and (4) 18" speakers...
I had the Button out to Select "Floor". Normally I would run my QSC on Flat and External Sub ON even though no Sub is plugged in.
So the Bass difference was probably 10" vs 12" and the External Sub Switch being used as a Low Cut...
Did not have a Drummer last practice so It was only in the Mix with another Guitar, Bass and Vocals.
It did sound really good, but I kept feeling that I was getting too much Bass.
Perhaps because our Practice Room is Small???
Normally I don't use my Monitor in the Practice Room because I want to Make adjustments to my Patches as they are Heard from our PA.
When I have a Drummer next Practice, I intend to run the RCF side by side with my QSC K10 and go back and forth between the two of them in the mix.

So... i just came back from my first gig with my RCF installed in to my Dv Mark box and it was quiet nice experience . There was bunch of guitarist watching out our show, and all the guys keeped asking where is your power amp ha ha.. The sound from my FRFR system was just like from regular power amp plus cab . I had to tweek a litlle bit global eq and after few tries the sound was nice.. Now i know that FRFR is possible solution for me.. No more heavy power amps and regular guitar cabs . Nice :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
just joined the club and man this thing makes a big difference... really impressed... many thanks to Mike at Audiopyle

right now I have an Xitone 1x12, a QSC K10, a RCF NX12SMA and a 2x12 cab with WGS Brits... I feel very fortunate to be able to A/B all of these items

can't wait to gig with the RCF this weekend, many thanks to all of you for the suggestion and your opinions

Back
Top Bottom