Just got my Atomic FR ...

BMH

Inspired
This is not a thread to discourage anybody from buying what I think are the two best solutions to running the Axe-Fx FRFR ... it is just FYI ....

I own and love the Verve 12ma, but after reading the Fratomic board discussions it became clear the Fratomic had something to offer too ...

First off, it looks like a million bucks, built real well, packaged well.

I plugged in my Axe and tried the existing presets, all of which are specifically tweaked for the Verve 12ma.

I really enjoy the sound of the cabinet itself, it adds that dimension that is missing in the FRFR Verves and other power monitors. If you never realized how much the echoing inside the cab adds to the magic of electric guitar, you will when you plug into the Fratomic.

I use bright patches, I am a Plexi nut, have everything set with lots of treble and presence ... and this really stuck out on the Fratomic. I had to turn the treble volume down to compensate ... and again, this is without tweaking. Just an observation.

The lower mids are very nice, and as somebody pointed out, this makes a great transition between the high mids and bass, something a bit lacking on the other FRFR monitors.

The bass is also better sounding on the Fratomic then my Verve, as if the cabinet volume of the Fratomic tames it a bit and makes it more guitar friendly. Much more thump in a tight 4x12 way even through the 12" speaker. The limiter on the Verve keeps the speakers from blowing ... but you do miss a bit of that low thump becasue of it.

Volume wise it is plenty loud, as loud as my Marshall 1987X was ... 50 watts, and good cutting power. However, if you play detuned thumping music all night, maybe 50 watts won't do it for you. Personally I don't need anything this loud, and I am more a Plexi/Bassman kind of guy ... and you can obviously buy two of these and have a killer rig if you need that much power.

The only knock I can give the Fratomic is it sounds so good, it might not match what is coming out of your PA if you use it solely to monitor yourself. Now this is not necessarilly a bad thing, as long as what comes out of the PA still sounds good too. And I guess hearing youself in the best possible light does make you play better.

As far as use for a backline power amp, the Fratomic is definately superior to the Verves, but the Verves are still very close when you mix good IRs into the picture. I still love my presets through my Verve 12ma, they rip, but I am liking the fratomic enough to keep it. It is a great bargain at $799 ... I am very impressed with it ...

Mine's going back to Atomic. Not loud enough and I'm pretty sure it's broken in some way. :( I'm still happy to see it fits your needs.

I had to send one back. That's one reason I bought two, just in case one dies, I have a backup, and also if one died (as it did) on the way, I could compare and know it was broken.

Mine had some loose bits rattling inside. Independent Music fixed it all very quickly sending me a new one.

As for volume, I can see where you are coming from. I don't think one is enough for me. So that extra 3dB makes a big difference to me. Especially when I lift it to ear level and project at my head. You have to remember that it is a monitoring solution and while it can work as backline without PA support, this will only go so far. Mine gets over my drummer no worries.

TimmyM

Wow, I can't believe how loud some of you must play!!! Unless you are using stage volume to fill the club, I find one to be plenty loud for my rock band with a hard hitting drummer. I use an amp stand though and have it at chest level. But I haven't maxed mine out yet, I can't imagine needing two!! (But I still might buy the second one just to have a better stage presence and a spare)

mitch236 said:
Wow, I can't believe how loud some of you must play!!! Unless you are using stage volume to fill the club, I find one to be plenty loud for my rock band with a hard hitting drummer. I use an amp stand though and have it at chest level. But I haven't maxed mine out yet, I can't imagine needing two!! (But I still might buy the second one just to have a better stage presence and a spare)

My Reactor was broken... just sent it back today. I didn't notice it until we rehearsed with my metal band. Just think of it like this: A 100W tube amp has to be cranked so it sounds right and the playability is right etc. We've got two guitarists and the other one has one of those amps so I can't hear myself at all. Now, I crank up my Reactor and... all I get is fizz like the volume is too much for the cab. Then again... using a tube reactor would mean the sound quality gets better when it's cranked. IMHO this is BS because isn't this what we wanted to get rid of when we got our Axe-Fxs.

My Reactors = Master all the way up
Volume is controlled by the axe-fx output1

I cant get this sucker past 9 oclock without peeling paint!! :twisted:

GuitarDojo said:
My Reactors = Master all the way up
Volume is controlled by the axe-fx output1

I cant get this sucker past 9 oclock without peeling paint!! :twisted:

Really, you max the Reactors? Doesn't that just waste the power tubes ... like when you crank an amp with an attenuator hooked up?

I am still putzing around with my Reactor, lots of great sounds coming out, but I have not had the time to really sit down with it and tweak presets. But it is definitely loud for its size, and full sounding in a guitar cab kinda way ...

I wondered about maxing the level on the Atomic too. I don't do it because you get more noise that way but I don't see how it would have any other negative effect. Maybe Tom can chime in about which is better.

Yes, that is definitely an important thing to know ... I would never crank the power tubes all the time if it means they wear down fatser, I would crank the Axe up more and keep the Reactor volume at about half ...

Tom? You out there? :?: :)

When you get the power tubes working hard you HEAR it, that means, it gets LOUD. It it's not loud, they're hardly working, even if the amp is at 10. The master volume does not control power directly or anything like that, is just a pot controlling how much of your input signal is thrown away instead of going to the power stage.

To sum up, cranking the master at the atomic is not that different from cranking the output at the axefx. There's no way to know how hard the tubes are working looking at either pot, you might have both at max but have a preset with such low levels that will not be louder than a tv. The only way of easily knowing more or less how hard your atomic is working is its loudness.

The only differences I can think in the axefx output level vs cranking the atomic debate is that you can get more noise cranking at the axefx and that you might clip the input of the atomic if you send a too hot signal. It would be nice if Atomic amps would confirm whether the axefx is capable of generating such a hot output signal.

Back
Top Bottom