Just got an EV PXM-12MP - sounds harsh and mid-spikey

Hello, sorry to come here like a hair in the soup.....Why not direct your choice towards broadband baffles with a single emission source?
I can offer at least 2, the Celestion F12M-150 and the JENSEN N12D that I have on order.
another option is to choose baffles equipped with axial tweeters

A single source of sound emission => more homogeneous in proximity

I'd love to try the fender but neither Guitar Center nor Sam Ash carry it so sweetwater is my only choice and if I don't like it, return shipping will be expensive.

[edit] GC does carry this but it's not available for pickup, it's mail order only and listed as back-ordered.
I’m a jazz guy too, with a couple of Gibson L5s.
You might want to check out the Fender FR-10/FR-12 FRFR powered cabs.
For the venues both you and I target, they’re perfect.
I’m done monkeying around with other solutions.(famous last statement :) )
I bought a couple of FR-12s, but honestly one is more than enough.

Last edited:
Hello, sorry to come here like a hair in the soup.....Why not direct your choice towards broadband baffles with a single emission source?
I can offer at least 2, the Celestion F12M-150 and the JENSEN N12D that I have on order.
another option is to choose baffles equipped with axial tweeters

A single source of sound emission => more homogeneous in proximity
i was under the impression that the F12M-150 was just a coaxial speaker (like the EV 12 in my wedge)

I'd love to try the fender but neither Guitar Center nor Sam Ash carry it so sweetwater is my only choice and if I don't like it, return shipping will be expensive.

[edit] GC does carry this but it's not available for pickup, it's mail order only and listed as back-ordered.
The tilt backs and onboard EQ are important to me. And the Fenders deliver here.

The tilt backs and onboard EQ are important to me. And the Fenders deliver here.
they are backordered at GC so it's a moot point for me. I can't chance ordering at sweetware. I've never liked the tilt back legs. I don't like the sound of the speaker, on-axis with my ears.

they are backordered at GC so it's a moot point for me. I can't chance ordering at sweetware. I've never liked the tilt back legs. I don't like the sound of the speaker, on-axis with my ears.
I’ve always been stage right to the backline for feedback prevention so I’ve never been on-axis.

I don't have any idea how that differs in response from a coaxial implementation. But more to the point, what cab are you putting that in?
Currently I use F12-X200 in open baffles from Harley Benton G112, the F12M-150 can also be used like this, I have 2 bass reflex baffles in production which will be equipped with the Jensen N12D, the Jensen goes up to 12khz is close to the F12M-150 but less heavy the F12-X200 goes up to 20 khz thanks to the axial tweeter, but from my point of view it is not really necessary to go so high in frequency

most of the places I play don't have a real stage. The cabs are typically 2 feet behind me!
After a minor e-stalking session it seems you're in Ohio? There might be an FR-10/12 owner near you so you can try one. They're naturally less mid focused (read: they're scooped) than the EVs. Might be worth checking out if you can.

Have you tried completely starting over with a new preset? Start from scratch, and build a new preset from the ground up. Don't copy any settings over, just use your ears.

Have you tried a different IR? Mess around with DynaCabs some, I've found it much easier and faster to get where I want to be using them. Most of my "not happy with this tone" issues are solved in the cab block for me.

I play mostly clean jazz. Kind of reminds me of the way a 12L sounds when you're on axis with it. Used it in wedge monitor for me it's almost unusable due to the spikeyness. If I turn it on it's side it's more usable but it's surprising how directional and spikey it is compared to the cheapie alto ts310...I'm sure out in the audience it mellows out but on stage at 5' away, i'm not sure it's going to work for me...

I have read a ton of glowing reviews about it but I think the demographic of playing clean jazz is probably significantly different from how others are using it.
Jack- I've attached the preset after I made some changes to scene 6 only. I also added a scene 7 which is the same as scene 6 but with Dynacab instead of traditional IR.

Now, keep in mind I do not know what frequency it is that you're hearing that is the subject of this post, nor do I play jazz or own a hollowbody. I do have a 335 and know a few jazz chords but that's the extent of my knowledge. Try this out and see what you think, and it's OK to hate it :). I also did not use the global EQ settings you posted earlier.

Attachments

• jaz ods semi clean jazz 1.O edit.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried completely starting over with a new preset? Start from scratch, and build a new preset from the ground up. Don't copy any settings over, just use your ears.

Have you tried a different IR? Mess around with DynaCabs some, I've found it much easier and faster to get where I want to be using them. Most of my "not happy with this tone" issues are solved in the cab block for me.
no because the existing preset sounds exactly the way I want it through multiple setups including a power amp and guitar speakers (if I disable the IR), direct recording, my alto TS310, TS410, etc.

It's only through the EV that it's spikey.

However, an update to this saga is that I used it on the gig yesterday and as long as the speaker is off axis from me, it sounds good. So now I'm doing a 180 and will be returning the 12" Alto cab. I'll probably buy a 2nd EV at some point if I start doing louder gigs. For now, the EV and the Alto 10 will cover most bases.

Jack- I've attached the preset after I made some changes to scene 6 only. I also added a scene 7 which is the same as scene 6 but with Dynacab instead of traditional IR.

Now, keep in mind I do not know what frequency it is that you're hearing that is the subject of this post, nor do I play jazz or own a hollowbody. I do have a 335 and know a few jazz chords but that's the extent of my knowledge. Try this out and see what you think, and it's OK to hate it :). I also did not use the global EQ settings you posted earlier.
Thanks. What are the changes you made?

hi, i tried the preset. It was interesting. It sounds a bit dead to me, sort of like playing through a polytone. Not a horrible thing but sort of lost the fender vibe in the process. I'll take a look at it in more detail. Might be cool for doing a SS 60s jazz guitar vibe like through a standel or something...

Thanks. What are the changes you made?
For the stock preset, I moved the reverb to a parallel position (vs. in series like you had it) and adjusted the eq of the reverb slightly. I also changed the factory cab to a 412 EV cab (hi/lo cuts same as you used). And I think that’s about it.

You also mention that you like the sound of this preset (as you have it set) thru a regular guitar cab after bypassing the IR only. I must say that is very difficult to accomplish because amp settings (in the virtual world) can be very different with a real cab vs. FRFR. Most people who run one output to FOH or FRFR and another (output 3 for example) to a power amp/cab will use an EQ of some sort on output 3 to adjust for the real cab.

The fact remains though, if you think it’s good, then it’s good. There’s no hard and fast rule (in this matter) that says it has to be a certain way. And, having watched some of your videos, it’s good 👌. It’s great to be a part of a community such as this where we all try to help each other out.

Back
Top Bottom