Just discovered the Fryette model...

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
...holy crap. I had never heard of Fryette before, so I just kinda skipped to something I knew. I was going through and re-labeling patches with a category and I stumbled upon stock patch 312 "Ned Beatty". Next time somebody asks if the axe fx can do high gain patches, just direct them to that puppy. My god it sounds amazing.

Steve Fryette allowed the use of his real company and amp names (well abbreviated) in the Axe-FX.

How cool is that?

Suhr commented on the CAE3+ model on a forum somewhere, but I don't know if it went any further than that.
Looking at it one way, it's advertising for Fryette on a large scale.
People will always buy real tube amps. I can't believe that amp modelling devices eat into sales of the the real tube amps. Not now they're well established anyway.

Back on topic, yes - this is one of my favourite models. Makes me want to buy the tube amp.

danielodland said:
Such a great thing. I love the amp guys who dont see this technology as the devil =) Didnt Suhr offer something similar?

IIRC Suhr offered to help Cliff dial the model in, but I don't think Cliff ever took him up on the offer.....'cause later the comment that the model didn't sound like his preamp came out.

hideous said:
I can't believe that amp modelling devices eat into sales of the the real tube amps. Not now they're well established anyway.

I can. Since I've started using my Axe, I haven't had any GAS whatsoever! I believe it is just a matter of time before most players are using some form of modelling amp. It is analogous to CD's vs. vinyl. As the technology gets better and more affordable, the masses will adopt it.

Patch 312 is pretty sick! Wow!! Thanks for turning me on to that;)

Yes, I can definitely see Fractal taking market share from amp companies over time.

If I designed an amp and Fractal modeled it, I would want Fractal to call it by its real name. It's marketing me for and I would want some kind of credit for my tones.

holdenhinkle said:
Patch 312 is pretty sick! Wow!! Thanks for turning me on to that;)

Yes, I can definitely see Fractal taking market share from amp companies over time.

If I designed an amp and Fractal modeled it, I would want Fractal to call it by its real name. It's marketing me for and I would want some kind of credit for my tones.

The only problem I see with it is those companys may want some payola to go along with the credit... just say'n

gittarzann said:
danielodland said:
Such a great thing. I love the amp guys who dont see this technology as the devil =) Didnt Suhr offer something similar?

IIRC Suhr offered to help Cliff dial the model in, but I don't think Cliff ever took him up on the offer.....'cause later the comment that the model didn't sound like his preamp came out.

Mr Suhr I believe said 'It's going to happen whether I want it to or not, so if it's going to be done, I want it done RIGHT'. (No money need be exchanged.) Whether he followed through or not I'm not sure. But my guess is that he at least sent Cliff an amp to model.

Amp companies of course want to be compensated for their tones but that's not going to happen. I don't see a way for them to make money unless they team up with a company like FA to produce a Marshall/Fender/Boogie/etc. Axe FX, kind of like what IK Media did with their Fender Amplitube plugin, etc. Or they can try to do it themselves, but it will probably be a while until they can do it as well as Cliff. And even then you'll be limited to just the amps that company makes.

At some point I think someone will make an offer to Cliff that he simply can't refuse. This will either be a sad day or a happy day depending on who that someone is.

vinnieRice said:
At some point I think someone will make an offer to Cliff that he simply can't refuse. This will either be a sad day or a happy day depending on who that someone is.

I cannot see this as being likely.

At worse, Fractal may move in the direction of being owned and financed by another company. I cannot believe for a SECOND that Cliff would ever lose creative control over code, R&D, and general direction of his product.

Yes, I would wager that he's already received a few offers or feelers, and the money might be great, but as it is, Cliff doesn't look like he's doing too shabbily on his own. Who can say if he won't rival any of the other 'biggies' in 5 - 10 years. And do it HIMSELF.

Sidivan said:
...holy crap. I had never heard of Fryette before, so I just kinda skipped to something I knew. I was going through and re-labeling patches with a category and I stumbled upon stock patch 312 "Ned Beatty". Next time somebody asks if the axe fx can do high gain patches, just direct them to that puppy. My god it sounds amazing.

LOL, that's a trip. I haven't seen that one before but my main OD rhythm tone is almost exactly that preset. Even the EQ is similar, but I used the 4x12 German for a little more low mid girth. That's one my fave tones in the box.

Cliff's done the corporate drone thing, I don't think he's ever going back. It would have to be serious retirement money, and even then I have a feeling he wouldn't go for it. He still has to play guitar, after all. Maybe if he felt like he'd achieved "perfection" - yeah, right!

The CA3LD is currently my favorite model for a ripping br00talz tone. Eats the rectos for breakfast. So I don't want Cliff to change the model at all. I don't care if it's close to the original or not, just leave it as it is, please!

Anyone have any good high gain Fryette Presets they want to share ;) I've tried using that amp sim and it sounds so different from everything else i'm not sure what to do with it lol.

rsf1977 said:
Anyone have any good high gain Fryette Presets they want to share ;) I've tried using that amp sim and it sounds so different from everything else i'm not sure what to do with it lol.

I am working one actually. It's not quite right yet, but you can bet there will be a recording up once it's right.

Sidivan said:
rsf1977 said:

I am working one actually. It's not quite right yet, but you can bet there will be a recording up once it's right.

can't wait :)

Back
Top Bottom