Just can't get FRFR vs amp/cab to work for me?

I wish it was. It really sounds bad.. I have an acoustic Schertler JAM100 amplifer (Doesn't sound that great) that SMOKES the Mission Gemini cab. Seriously...it has no bottom end.. so weird...
yup something sounds wrong. i've never heard that about the Gemini in all these years.

I first tried FRFR with my band almost 10 years ago with the old Axe-Fx Ultra. Back then I tried and tried, using a few different powered wedges popular at the time (before the Atomic CLR came out). I couldn't get satisfied then so I've been using real guitar cabs with various power amps ever since, as I moved to Axe-II and now AX8, only messing with IRs occasionally for direct recording.

But a LOT has changed in 10 years. Time for another solid try. I just got my new CLR Neo MkII yesterday and spent several hours pummeling it loudly with AX8 amps and IRs. My expectations were not too high, because I have enough experience to know what I'm getting into. I know and understand that FRFR will never fully, completely sound or feel exactly like the amp\cab in the room I'm so used to.

My first impression is that, yes indeed, this is going to work for me this time! Didn't take long to sound really freakin great.

I'll know for sure after I get through a band rehearsal or two, but it's looking good. I'm in ramp-up mode with a new coverband where I'll be switching between electric and acoustic a lot. It will be so nice to use the same physical signal chain for acoustic and just switch presets on the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom