Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

Actually, thinking more about this, the standard is whatever Fractal is using to develop and dial in these tones.
No, that's exactly the point. The "standard" is any good sounding speaker that is as loud as you need it to be and relatively flat. It shouldn't matter what you use if the price and form factor are right and if the quality is sufficiently high. If you need to, you can always apply a quick global EQ to suit your tastes.

As I've shared before, I've played through Rick Rubin's and Bob Weir's speakers worth more than my HOUSE.... I've played through Metallica's and U2's PAs which are some of the best on earth. Glorious? Yes, but I still get FANTASTIC sound from the relatively inexpensive small speakers I throw in my car to go to a jam or a gig because the source material (mostly FM3 for me these days) is excellent.

My simple suggestion is that you get the best speakers you can afford as long as they also match your physical needs.

Friends. Would the EV PXM - 12MP have enough volume as if it were an amplifier to play with a live band at an average show?

How faithful are the reproduction of the tones made in Fractal in the EV PXM - 12MP?

I ask this because I use an FM9 on a Powerstage SD 200 in a passive Matrix FR12 box, and I always have to use some parametric EQ, because without it, the sound is very closed. I'm thinking about switching from the Powerstage SD 200 + box combination to the Matrix FR12
EV PXM - 12MP.

Friends. Would the EV PXM - 12MP have enough volume as if it were an amplifier to play with a live band at an average show?

How faithful are the reproduction of the tones made in Fractal in the EV PXM - 12MP?

I ask this because I use an FM9 on a Powerstage SD 200 in a passive Matrix FR12 box, and I always have to use some parametric EQ, because without it, the sound is very closed. I'm thinking about switching from the Powerstage SD 200 + box combination to the Matrix FR12
EV PXM - 12MP.
I just played a gig this last Saturday with the FM9 through the PXM by itself, without running into the board. Competing with a bass and another guitarist who runs through a DSL combo. I was running the PXM at around -18db. PLENTY loud enough with room to get much louder. I've gigged the PXM in a variety of situations in the couple months I've had it, including outdoors. Zero complaints. You won't regret it if you choose the PXM route.

Guys, because of the topic, I ended up purchasing the EV PXM-12! Thank you all!
Compared to the SD200 + Matrix FR12p combo, the EV PXM-12 really has much more volume than I need, and a little more defined.

At the moment, I'm using Monitor 2. Do you recommend any other settings on the EV PXM-12 itself to make it as flat as possible?

No, that's exactly the point. The "standard" is any good sounding speaker that is as loud as you need it to be and relatively flat. It shouldn't matter what you use if the price and form factor are right and if the quality is sufficiently high. If you need to, you can always apply a quick global EQ to suit your tastes.

As I've shared before, I've played through Rick Rubin's and Bob Weir's speakers worth more than my HOUSE.... I've played through Metallica's and U2's PAs which are some of the best on earth. Glorious? Yes, but I still get FANTASTIC sound from the relatively inexpensive small speakers I throw in my car to go to a jam or a gig because the source material (mostly FM3 for me these days) is excellent.

My simple suggestion is that you get the best speakers you can afford as long as they also match your physical needs.
man, i bet you could tell some cool stories all day long! im jelly!

Compared to the SD200 + Matrix FR12p combo, the EV PXM-12 really has much more volume than I need, and a little more defined.

At the moment, I'm using Monitor 2. Do you recommend any other settings on the EV PXM-12 itself to make it as flat as possible?
Short stands if you haven't seen that mentioned, if you like a 412 cab type of vibe behind you! There are a few out there to look at!

Monitor 2 is the most flat setting. That’s what I’m using with mine. I’m enjoying the PXM-12 so much I’m considering getting a 2nd for stereo. I bet it would sound huge.

Last edited:

I’m using monitor 2 with the bass at -3 since it’s sitting a few inches from a wall.

Monitor 2 is the flattest response. I think Monitor 1 is for vocals.

Be aware that putting the cabinet set to Monitor 2 on the floor against a wall in a pseudo-backline will result in extra bass boost because of physics. Set it on its side firing forward at 90º about 1.5-2 feet from a wall and it should sound seriously good. If you have to stand right next to the cabinet with it on its back then you should be good too at the same setting and distance.

If it's in front of you then this doesn't apply.

Alright so here’s a longshot question:

Has anyone compared the EV and/or the fender to the Celestion F12-X200? That one kind of flew under the radar a few years ago since it’s just a raw speaker DIY sort of solution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom