Just bought some EV PXM - 12MP’s

I found an open box EV PXM for a couple hundred off...I was surprised by the great bass response right out of the box...usually speakers need to be "broken in" to get them to loosen up enough to get the stated bass response ( some sound absolutely sterile until the get 10-20 hours of mid volume use). Anyone else notice that? Maybe it was actually a demo and they lied to me...but I doubt it...

This was an upgrade from a Laney FRFR112 which was too boxy sounding, a Headrest (spellcheck!!!) FRFR108 and a Laney FRFR108.
The Laney 108 is what I am now pairing with the PXM for stereo use and it is quite complimentary to it ( the HR was too muddy in tandem)

I am a retired sound man (damn spell correct ...Head Rush...Sound man... I have to separate every word to make it work...bloody hell...)
and I am blown away by the sound clarity, the 90 X 90 dispersion angles and the fact that you can use them as monitors or mains and plug a mic. directly in for emergency use.
Saving your own EQ curves, etc. is great as well.

It can also be jammed and provide sound for 3 instruments/players...I plugged my Spark mini in to the RCA input and it sounds great!
You can just plug a guitar into a pedal and straight into one of the 1/4 inch inputs and that works fine as well.

Overall I am really impressed and may end up with another one, but as I said, paired with the Laney they do the trick nicely for my FM9!

I found an open box EV PXM for a couple hundred off...I was surprised by the great bass response right out of the box...usually speakers need to be "broken in" to get them to loosen up enough to get the stated bass response ( some sound absolutely sterile until the get 10-20 hours of mid volume use). Anyone else notice that? Maybe it was actually a demo and they lied to me...but I doubt it...
Can confirm. Great bass response straight from the start.

I found an open box EV PXM for a couple hundred off...I was surprised by the great bass response right out of the box...usually speakers need to be "broken in" to get them to loosen up enough to get the stated bass response ( some sound absolutely sterile until the get 10-20 hours of mid volume use). Anyone else notice that?

Mine have pretty little bass response, still Monitor 2 mode seems too boomy to my taste (using Monitor 1 for the FM9). Changed the setting to Tripod mode and started to pump some Spotify stuff through to break it in. The bass response is ok but not overwhelming. Will see how it turns out in about 20 hours.

Interesting comments regarding the bass response of these. I've only gigged mine once so far (will use it two more times this weekend), but in my initial side by side comparisons with my Xitone active wedge I noticed the same thing. It wasn't too much bass, or too little, it was just different from the Xitone using the same presets.

So far, I still like the Xitone better overall, but the EV IS a good 15-ish pounds lighter - and that's not nothing.

Mine have pretty little bass response, still Monitor 2 mode seems too boomy to my taste (using Monitor 1 for the FM9). Changed the setting to Tripod mode and started to pump some Spotify stuff through to break it in. The bass response is ok but not overwhelming. Will see how it turns out in about 20 hours.
I am using my own EQ curve, I started with the monitor 2 setting and then took 1-2 Db off of both Bass and Treble to find my happy place...also I should have stated that the room I use is acoustically treated and not to big (12' x 24' or so) in a larger room the bass will be less and in an untreated room with hard walls and floor the bass will be boomy...for that try using the feedback circuit at about 180 too 250 Hz or deal with it in the FM9.

Took delivery of a couple of PXM's a few days ago. Yesterday was the first time I could really wind them out. Monitor 1 - mmm...analytical - too much so for my liking. Monitor 2 is better. Might tweak the treble a little to suit my ears, but I'll give them a few months to break in before I go mad with the EQ. Out of the box, they impressed me in that they did a very good job of retaining definition at higher volumes - frequencies don't step on each-other's toes turning the mix to mush past-12, and they actually sound amp-like which is my way of saying that the modeling shines through to a much better degree. (Does help that we have good modelers I suppose! :0)

I Like Em!' :0) They're very good. Quite expensive. But! Buy once, cry once, and forget about blowing your next fistful of cash upgrading to something equally as expensive I suppose. :0)

I was on the fence for a while - it was between these, and the Yamaha DXR10s and the DHR12M' and the PXM's won out. I figured that the smaller package and better access to the DSP was worth it in the long run, and these have a good amount of proven record.

Still. Overall, it was a tight race! :0)

Been reccomending these for a while. Ive had the dynacord version which I paid to get from Germany before these were available. Ev version is a Great all around for the $. Especiallly as an frfr wedge on monitir 1. Light enough, great sound dispersion, great seperation of instruments, plenty of volume.

It seems that the majority opts for Monitor 2 setting. Yes? Does the guitar cabinet setting defeat or interfere with the great FM9 cab settings?
Last question: When I go for the Monitor 2 setting do I need to modify the highs and lows? I think I saw one thread suggesting this. Thanks for all the valuable advice.

It seems that the majority opts for Monitor 2 setting. Yes? Does the guitar cabinet setting defeat or interfere with the great FM9 cab settings?
Last question: When I go for the Monitor 2 setting do I need to modify the highs and lows? I think I saw one thread suggesting this. Thanks for all the valuable advice.

Adjust to taste, I'd say. I run the EQ flat. First gig with the PXM went absolutely great. Never had such a good sound on stage even though it was just mono this time.

UPDATE

My review is in the video description

You prefer to put them behind you like a guitar amp, rather than in front like a traditional monitor? I was thinking of getting them for in front...for less volume heading to the audience (and I wouldn't have to hear my guitar through a regular monitor, which I hate).

Set the on-monitor controls, then leave them alone. They’re not meant for adjusting during your performance, and they’re designed to not be accidentally changed.

The modeler is meant to be used as the control board for the FRFR. It’s easy to adjust the volume, and the EQ can be quickly adjusted during setup using the global EQ for that particular OUT. Set up the Global Performance page with the tonestack, gain and level of the Amp and maybe the global input Gain for quick adjustments and you should be golden during the sets.

I set my OUT 1 knob at 50% during setup and when FOH is testing my feed, and then might bump up to 55% once everything is in full swing. FOH is aware that might happen and is cool with it. The presets are all leveled, so any preset or scene changes keep a consistent volume, and the EVs stay at a consistent volume as a result.
You don't have volume increases for solos?

You don't have volume increases for solos?
I have solo scenes programmed on my FM9 to increase the volume, no need to adjust the volume on the PXM. I adjust the monitor once during sound check to give me enough headroom and run my git signal through out 2 directly into the monitor using an expression pedal to control the out 2 volume leaving the FOH signal going through out 1 unchanged.

It seems that the majority opts for Monitor 2 setting. Yes?
Seems that way. According to EV that setting is the most flat setting.

Does the guitar cabinet setting defeat or interfere with the great FM9 cab settings?
It turns off the coaxial tweeter so it no longer is running with a flat or full-range response. If that’s the intent then buy a solid-state amp and use a regular guitar cab because there’s very little purpose for the monitor at that point.

I don’t except to tweak the lows to deal with stage rumble or because of the position on stage. Learn about how the floor and wall proximity affects the sound of a speaker cabinet for the reasons.

I just got one! I've had a CLR, a matrix fr212 and a freidman asm12. I really dig how light this thing is. Damn is it loud also. Super punchy and in your face if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom