Just bought an Axe-Fx III mk2

You might want to set a few youtube vids ready for when you receive it. Leon Todd has a great vid on how to set a few global settings when you take it out of the box. I also have the axe 2 so I was familiar with the menus so I just made a checklist. If you are new just play the video and pause to follow the instructions.
It may be nice to watch a few videos of a dude/dudette creating a preset. Just to familiarise you with what you are going to soo. A good one to start is Andy Wood building his van Halen preset. Not only is the preset quite simple, but also great sounding. I had a lot of fun just playing with the first few factory presets. They are awesome.

And oh yeah: you can already download and install axe-edit and the drivers.

Enjoy!

Harm

Good!!! Finally, someone is starting off the smart way!! :tearsofjoy:

My only advice is to try not to get discouraged right away if you’re not digging the sound of the factory presets. When I got mine, I wasn’t initially impressed and was thinking, “THIS is what all the hype was about?!?”. Turns out, they’re all pretty great with a single coil guitar or low-output humbuckers and all my guitars at the time were high-output humbuckers.

Get ready to hear a LOT of IR’s. Try your best to get to know what you have from the factory before buying more, or you’ll end up like me with 20,000 of them. When I’m really nitpicking, I’ll put a Looper block in the preset, right after the input, record a small guitar part and then just loop it while I cycle through the IR’s until I find what I’m looking for. IMO, this is the most tedious part of using a modeler because you can literally go through 1,000 IR’s before you find THE one.

Most of all, enjoy it!!!

Good!!! Finally, someone is starting off the smart way!! :tearsofjoy:

My only advice is to try not to get discouraged right away if you’re not digging the sound of the factory presets. When I got mine, I wasn’t initially impressed and was thinking, “THIS is what all the hype was about?!?”. Turns out, they’re all pretty great with a single coil guitar or low-output humbuckers and all my guitars at the time were high-output humbuckers.

Get ready to hear a LOT of IR’s. Try your best to get to know what you have from the factory before buying more, or you’ll end up like me with 20,000 of them. When I’m really nitpicking, I’ll put a Looper block in the preset, right after the input, record a small guitar part and then just loop it while I cycle through the IR’s until I find what I’m looking for. IMO, this is the most tedious part of using a modeler because you can literally go through 1,000 IR’s before you find THE one.

Most of all, enjoy it!!!

Almost forgot that. Yes, factory presets are mainly good with strat/tele.

Pretty stoked to give this unit a try! Let me know if you have any recommendations on how to get up to speed fast with the device. Figured I'd start going through the manual now while waiting for delivery.
I'm a HUGE fan of the Cooper Carter class. Bought it while I was on the waiting list. ENORMOUS help once I received it and I'm a long time Fractal person. Leon Todd (as mentioned before) is fantastic too. Two great guys...and many others around here.

https://classes.coopercarter.com/

Leon Todd's YouTube channel helped me a lot getting things set up and getting familiar with the Axe3. You'll probably go down the impulse response rabbit hole, kinda just one of those things until you find the right IRs for your tone. Probably took me 4 months to really start dialing this unit in to get me the tones I was going for.

Be patient with yourself and with it. It is a deep and powerful tool. If you don't like what is doing, it's probably just that you have more learning to do. These forums are great and helpful. So is the manual and YouTube. Enjoy the ride!

Congrats on your new Axe-FX. I’ve owned one for a week, so I’m also a newb.

Using Axe-Edit, I’ve found it very simple to get good results. I have not even tried navigating the unit by itself since I’m using it in a home studio only, so my computer is always nearby.

Just wanted to encourage you that although there is a learning curve, it’s not overwhelming. You’ll be having fun - and getting usable results - very quickly.

I‘ve found that doing whatever you feel like with the unit - messing around with the help of videos, Wiki, Cooper Carter‘s class, choosing amps and cabs, trying out factory presets, downloading them from Axe Change, etc. is just fun AND really helps me to learn a lot.

def something I didn‘t do with the Axe 2 that I‘m now doing with the 3 and am enjoying ver very much!

Pretty stoked to give this unit a try! Let me know if you have any recommendations on how to get up to speed fast with the device. Figured I'd start going through the manual now while waiting for delivery.

Start with only an Amp + Cab in your chain. Once you get some tones you really like, then branch out into effects.

Also, the Cab block is arguably THE MOST IMPORTANT element in the chain. You patches WILL NOT sound good until you find an IR or combo of IRs you like.

If you like high gain, I'd recommend starting with Legacy IR #103 - 4x12 Basketeave TV Mix, then mixing in other cabs to taste. That IR is old but there's still a magic to it I love, personally.

Just joined the club myself guys, ordered it today, after it being stuck in Boston due to snow......
Are you newbies going with monitors, headphones, cabs etc ? I’m convinced Fractal is the platform for me, just not what to play through, so planned on using some DT770 pro headphones to get settled in, the decide what speaker(s) to use. Is that sensible ?

Back
Top Bottom