Just blew a transformer

Casper

Inspired
Another reason to like the Axe Fx. While cranked and shaking in glorious overdrive, my combo amp's power tube (6v6 EH GT) heater shorted to the plate today, taking out the transformer with it. Sudden silence and a nice burnt smell.

On to cranking the Axe-Fx, it neither shakes nor stresses, yet still produces beautiful tones.

joking aside, I was reminded of the convenience of a box sans tubes etc while at store other day and several of their high end amp heads were down with various issues

Another reason to like the Axe Fx. While cranked and shaking in glorious overdrive, my combo amp's power tube (6v6 EH GT) heater shorted to the plate today, taking out the transformer with it. Sudden silence and a nice burnt smell.

On to cranking the Axe-Fx, it neither shakes nor stresses, yet still produces beautiful tones.
The heater couldn’t have shorted to the plate as its inside the cathode.
Even the cathode shorting to the plate seems unlikely as the control grid and the screen grid are much closer to the cathode and in between the cathode and the plate.
Did you measure across the screen resistor to see if it was open?

The heater couldn’t have shorted to the plate as its inside the cathode.
Even the cathode shorting to the plate seems unlikely as the control grid and the screen grid are much closer to the cathode and in between the cathode and the plate.
Did you measure across the screen resistor to see if it was open?
Yeah, not sure why they are shorted.. maybe something rattled loose or arc damage. I pulled the tube and measured across the pins. Heater pins 2, 7 and plate 3 show continuity. No continuity across the other pins. No screen resistor, Blankenship with Fender Princeton-like circuit. The tube and the socket both definitely smell burnt, but nothing immediately visible. Will have to check everything out. Appears the EH tube failed internally.

While a tube amp offers a different musical experience than Axe Fx III, it is kind of nice that you can push the models hard in Axe-Fx if you want and not worry you are stressing the virtual components out.

Well, I'm now officially tube-free. Sold all my tube amps in the last weeks. The Fractal stuff sounds better, needs less space and has less stuff to worry about ...

I should have gotten my FM3 nearly 2 weeks ago, but seems like there went something wrong ...

Tube amps are fairly simple circuits... They can't really have bugs because they aren't running code ;)

Two completely different things, in my opinion.
That’s why the legend that tube amps are fragile … yes, if you play football with them. Never had a single problem with hundreds of gigs

Not me. My amps and pedals were always nothing but trouble.
Zero problems with Mesa heads . Like ever “s*** happens” , same with pedals . I always got 10 pedals in the floor and zero problems . Only the short cables while kicking on it .

Back
Top Bottom