Just “Finished” My Home Studio

I "finished" my studio a few months ago. It always a project, right? I have a few rooms for my studio. The used to be kitchen and another iso room (use to be laundry room), need some more acoustic treatment. I'm going to order more panels and traps next week! Onwards and upwards!

I "finished" my studio a few months ago. It always a project, right? I have a few rooms for my studio. The used to be kitchen and another iso room (use to be laundry room), need some more acoustic treatment. I'm going to order more panels and traps next week! Onwards and upwards!
That’s awesome. When my kids grow up and move out I may have a chance to take over one of their rooms lol. Until then this is what I’m stuck with lol.

I say finished with quotation marks because I don’t think I’ll ever be finished searching for sweet gear. I am loaded up with an Axe Fx II though!

Thought I’d share this here though and I’d love to see what other people call home here.

Very nice. Looks like a true labor of love. Enjoy!

Hey Jack, nice video. It got me wanting to ask as I'm watching this, how did you know where to position the acoustical pads on your walls? Is it trial and error and move them around once you find a sweet spot? Always wondered what the best approach to this was as I'm putting together a studio myself but it encompasses an entire basement, 25' x 30' feet. Thx, Doug

Hey Jack, nice video. It got me wanting to ask as I'm watching this, how did you know where to position the acoustical pads on your walls? Is it trial and error and move them around once you find a sweet spot? Always wondered what the best approach to this was as I'm putting together a studio myself but it encompasses an entire basement, 25' x 30' feet. Thx, Doug
25’x30’ will be more difficult lol. After some research I learned to put it at the 1st point of contact directly in front of the monitors and also the angles of the outside edges of the speakers. (Hard to explain without pictures). Then across the back wall at monitor height and on the ceiling around the monitors.

I may have plenty extra from what I really need in a mixing room but it doubles as a recording room too so I kinda have to do the best of both worlds. It will be a bit of trial and error though once I go to mix my 1st song and I used double sided sticky pads so they can be moved easily if needed once the time comes.

How much did the foam treatment cost? Ballpark? It looks like a lot for a room that size. But I’m saying that with little knowledge on the subject. I’m planning on building my own treatments but will need to buy the bass traps.

Really nice space! Now you just need to pick up a good size TV to use for your monitor . My sight is fading with age, so I’m using an older 40” HD tv as my monitor for my MacBook. I plan on buying another larger one to use for watching TV and/or using airplay to use as a larger monitor on a different wall.

How much did the foam treatment cost? Ballpark? It looks like a lot for a room that size. But I’m saying that with little knowledge on the subject. I’m planning on building my own treatments but will need to buy the bass traps.

Really nice space! Now you just need to pick up a good size TV to use for your monitor . My sight is fading with age, so I’m using an older 40” HD tv as my monitor for my MacBook. I plan on buying another larger one to use for watching TV and/or using airplay to use as a larger monitor on a different wall.
I spent about $250 on the tile pieces. (Bought used on Reverb.com & eBay). 2 kits called DST-D36 by Auralex. Then I bought some cheap bass traps on eBay. I think it was under $100 to fill all 4 corners. I’ll probably be replacing some of them with some real normal size Auralex bass traps soon.

It is probably more than necessary for the room size but I’m both recording AND listening/mixing in here. Plus it doubles as decoration as well, I think they look sweet!

As for the monitor, I’m using a 32” flat screen which you can see at the end of the video. I started with a small CPU monitor but by the time I made the video I had swapped out to the TV. I leave the mix and superior drummer windows on the laptop and put the Edit window up on the TV. It’s plenty of screen. Plus the old school Nintendo is played in there too lol.

I spent about $250 on the tile pieces. (Bought used on Reverb.com & eBay). 2 kits called DST-D36 by Auralex. Then I bought some cheap bass traps on eBay. I think it was under $100 to fill all 4 corners. I’ll probably be replacing some of them with some real normal size Auralex bass traps soon.

It is probably more than necessary for the room size but I’m both recording AND listening/mixing in here. Plus it doubles as decoration as well, I think they look sweet!

As for the monitor, I’m using a 32” flat screen which you can see at the end of the video. I started with a small CPU monitor but by the time I made the video I had swapped out to the TV. I leave the mix and superior drummer windows on the laptop and put the Edit window up on the TV. It’s plenty of screen. Plus the old school Nintendo is played in there too lol.

I thought that was a Nintendo. Sounds like you really were able to get the treatments on the cheap. That’s really awesome at that price. Contractors start in the morning on my room.

I thought that was a Nintendo. Sounds like you really were able to get the treatments on the cheap. That’s really awesome at that price. Contractors start in the morning on my room.
Yeah, Reverb is my best friend lol. I check that site multiple times a day for good deals on used gear.

Back
Top Bottom