Jumping from the computer to the live PA

jam master jay

Hey All, I'm a new FM9 user and have song sounds dialed in via small studio monitors and/or headphones. I'm about to try plugging direct into a PA (with personal floor monitor) for a first jam with a band. I would love to hear others' experience is in doing this. What adjustments should I expect, if any? Thank you.

Best advice. Try and have your perform pages loaded with essential knobs like amp gain / tone as well as delay and reverb mix levels. As you turn up to drummer levels , you are sure to need to readjust these. Quick access will avoid deep menu dives at a jam session. Good luck !

Best advice. Try and have your perform pages loaded with essential knobs like amp gain / tone as well as delay and reverb mix levels. As you turn up to drummer levels , you are sure to need to readjust these. Quick access will avoid deep menu dives at a jam session. Good luck !
Good advice. I'd also bring over the cab high/low cuts. Be sure to get to gig volume during the tweak session.

Depending on the volume at which you dialed things in on the monitors, you should be prepared to adjust the EQ of your presets (or global EQ). Our sensitivities to different frequencies can change as volume increases or decreases, so how we have things EQ'd at lower volumes may not translate as well once you turn things up (Google Fletcher Munson).

For my set up, mids seem to be fairly consistent regardless. At louder volumes though, I pull back on the highs just a touch, and pull back even more on the lows and low-mids. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I'll check it out.

Depending on the volume at which you dialed things in on the monitors, you should be prepared to adjust the EQ of your presets (or global EQ). Our sensitivities to different frequencies can change as volume increases or decreases, so how we have things EQ'd at lower volumes may not translate as well once you turn things up (Google Fletcher Munson).

For my set up, mids seem to be fairly consistent regardless. At louder volumes though, I pull back on the highs just a touch, and a bit more on the lows and low-mids. YMMV.
OK, thank you.

As mentioned, the Global EQ is your best friend when dialing in at a venue. It will correct any EQ issues encountered at the venue across all of your presets

Take notes, mental or written, on how the presets translated from your computer to the venue; too much low/high end, didn't cut enough or cut too much? Too much or little gain? All of these will train your ears to know how to tweak at home to get the best results live.

I think it’s pretty common to get to a venue and plug in and it sound brighter up top and possibly add some tub down low. Having the high and low cuts handy will be helpful.

Another tip I’ve done is have all 4 channels of your cab block loaded with different cabs. Have the block on Scene Ignore so you can just pick one you like that night and stick to it throughout the performance.

I think it’s pretty common to get to a venue and plug in and it sound brighter up top and possibly add some tub down low. Having the high and low cuts handy will be helpful.

Another tip I’ve done is have all 4 channels of your cab block loaded with different cabs. Have the block on Scene Ignore so you can just pick one you like that night and stick to it throughout the performance.
Thanks. Part of the learning curve. Since I have a lot of blocks in different scenes, I limited my choices to cab hi/lo cuts, modulation mixes and scene output levels. I figure between this and the amp settings, I have enough to work with. Great tip regarding loading diff cabs in diff channels; makes comparing and changing quick/easy. Awesome.

Don't forget that you can click the global button on the mix parameter of delay and reverb blocks (and other effects) and then add the global effects mix and reverb mix to the global performance page. Once you get your effects the way you like them, you can then just use the global performance page to adjust them for the gig.
Damn, I said GLOBAL alot....

Don't forget that you can click the global button on the mix parameter of delay and reverb blocks (and other effects) and then add the global effects mix and reverb mix to the global performance page. Once you get your effects the way you like them, you can then just use the global performance page to adjust them for the gig.
Damn, I said GLOBAL alot....
Good one! Thank you.

It helps to get comfortable modifying presets directly from the FM9. Most of us probably have a tendency to rely on the editor when we are not rehearsing/performing. That is why the tip above from @Sv777 is so helpful. Unless you are going to hook up a computer on stage, any modifications will have to be done from the device. I do try however, to have things as dialed in as possible before I hit rehearsal, and definitely before performing. I prefer minimal tweaking when playing with others.

Hey there

Another one just for convenience:
If you like your presets, copy them before you make those stagevolume tweaks.

Cheers 🍻

Good advice. I'd also bring over the cab high/low cuts. Be sure to get to gig volume during the tweak session.
In addition, in my experience, after adjusting the EQ prior to sound check at what I expected I’d need for volume, once everyone is playing I need to double my output to my FRFRs.

And, I’m happy to do so because that’s when the guitar and the speakers start talkin’.

Back
Top Bottom