JTM-45 love

JWDubois

Inspired
Another day another jewel.

This box is doing everything I want. Tonight I set up a simple patch with a filter (for boost and bass control), amp, stereo cab, delay and reverb. I forget which two 4x12 cabs I ended up with, but I was seeking mellow and came pretty close. I was using the null mic.

Then I started dialing amps. There are a lot of good amps, but when I hit the JTM-45 I was in heaven. That woolly tone with my Strat neck pickup just made my neck hair raise up. I've been trying to get that type of "From the Cradle" / "Riding with the King" sound forever, with little success from any other gear I've ever had.

I was using a high shelf filter, with the HP set ~140Hz, which did a pretty good job of giving me a good boost while keeping the bass from getting too mushy. I've always preferred to use eq as a boost rather than OD's. The filter options in this thing are great. I'll try a para eq next time and play around with a bass notch to see if I can tighten up the bass just a little more.

I like this thing more every time I turn it on.

JWW

+1 for me too. I've been on a big 'Beano n' Cream' Clapton kick lately, dialing in the 45 and the Plexi2 for some of those searing-to-smooth, retro-, overdriven sounds. The '45 into a Greenback style cab is just lovely!

I really like your settings, particularly the eq-boost method. I'd been starting to play with this myself, instead of reverting to the drive blocks everytime.

For what it's worth, EC was actually using Soldano's on 'From the Cradle' for much of the tones, and either the Fender '57 Tweed Twin (or Cornell copy) for much of his blues-based 2000+ output. I've been getting close to that with the Bassguy '59 model patched through a Redwirez' Tweed Deluxe cab (well worth the extra couple o' bucks IMO). The Soldano has been trickier (helps to look at '24 Nights' as well for reference), but I'm find that dialing the drive waaaay back and playing with the eq-boost has gotten some fat, creamy blues leads out of my Strat.

Love to hear what else you're getting. Let me know if you want to share some patches!

Cheers,

ACV

I like the Bassman a lot too, but I need a little more work on it to tighten up the bass and get a little more sustain in the upper register. I have not quite hit on a good Plexi yet, but I hear the potential.

I would have never guessed that EC used Sodano's on FtC (not that I'm an amp expert). Every time I've seen him in a live video he was playing through a tweed something or other. I've pretty much skipped over the Soldano models so far, but I'll give them another look.

I'll be happy to share patches when I start doing some serious patch work, right now I'm still just exploring. The ease with which I'm getting really nice tones has me wondering how much better this thing can be if I learn enough to be an effective "deep editor".

JWW

Yeah, I was surprised by the Soldano too, but I've read more than one reference to them during FTC and Clapton himself quotes using the 100 for various lead work with his trusty 335 (no longer his, I guess -- sadly).

I know what you mean about experimenting versus 'deep editing'. Every time I create what I believe is a good patch, I come back to it a few days later and want to keep tweaking it. I never seem to be satisfied; and with so much choice, I likely never will be! Good problem to have though, I suppose :)

ACV

+1 !!!
I've been looking for good model for jazz clean tone.
When I play jazz phrase with 4 x 12 Green cabinet + 57 DYN mic,FILTER HP 138Hz,it's so sweet!
:D

Back
Top Bottom