JS410: A New Favorite in v6

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Last night I was auditioning amps after the v6 upgrade as I was finding all of them played and felt a bit different (due to the triode modeling/bias changes and amp interaction modeling changes/improvements) and stumbled upon the JS410 and instantly loved what I was hearing/feeling, particularly the Crunch Orange channel.

I was taken by how punchy, snarly, and dynamic that channel is, and there is something about the high end that, while "in your face" like Marshalls can have, is very sweet sounding. Playing an F# - E open string rhythm (ala UFO "Lights Out") has never jumped out so rudely on any Marshall/amp in the box for me. It's almost like a compressor was removed somewhere.

Man, I love the mid-gain, clean-ish punch that amp channel delivers in spades. I've not really bonded with this amp before but it has replaced the "5153 100W Blue" (which I've used for eons) for my 70's crunch tones, as well as my "AC/DC lead" tone and my single coil neck pickup bluesy tone. As soon as I switched to it I was all "whoa, what have we here now". Instant 70's Marshall vibe with modern tweaks to make it much easier to dial in.

I've also "upgraded" my main lead amp (Friedman HBE V2) to the "JS410 Lead Red" amp as I found it had a certain, fatter quality to the mids right out of the box that I had to coax out of the Friedman, and even then not as nice as the JS is.

There is some very cool mojo going on in v6, particularly in the Fender/Vox types amps. I was super stoked when I played my "Class-A 15W TB" preset. It has a certain creamy sound and feel that it never had before and I jammed on it for some time. All the amps just feel and play so much better and lively in v6.

Fantastic modeling update...definitely one for the books IMO.

I wasn't a big fan of the JS model previously, but the update had made it one of my favorites as well. I was comparing the JVM models to some YouTube demos of the amp and it's amazing how close I'm able to get it to sound. I could probably just have those two models and be happy for a long time. The amount of great stuff packed into this thing really is an amazing achievement.

Last night I was auditioning amps after the v6 upgrade as I was finding all of them played and felt a bit different (due to the triode modeling/bias changes and amp interaction modeling changes/improvements) and stumbled upon the JS410 and instantly loved what I was hearing/feeling, particularly the Crunch Orange channel.

I was taken by how punchy, snarly, and dynamic that channel is, and there is something about the high end that, while "in your face" like Marshalls can have, is very sweet sounding. Playing an F# - E open string rhythm (ala UFO "Lights Out") has never jumped out so rudely on any Marshall/amp in the box for me. It's almost like a compressor was removed somewhere.

Man, I love the mid-gain, clean-ish punch that amp channel delivers in spades. I've not really bonded with this amp before but it has replaced the "5153 100W Blue" (which I've used for eons) for my 70's crunch tones, as well as my "AC/DC lead" tone and my single coil neck pickup bluesy tone. As soon as I switched to it I was all "whoa, what have we here now". Instant 70's Marshall vibe with modern tweaks to make it much easier to dial in.

I've also "upgraded" my main lead amp (Friedman HBE V2) to the "JS410 Lead Red" amp as I found it had a certain, fatter quality to the mids right out of the box that I had to coax out of the Friedman, and even then not as nice as the JS is.

There is some very cool mojo going on in v6, particularly in the Fender/Vox types amps. I was super stoked when I played my "Class-A 15W TB" preset. It has a certain creamy sound and feel that it never had before and I jammed on it for some time. All the amps just feel and play so much better and lively in v6.

Fantastic modeling update...definitely one for the books IMO.
Post a preset!

The JS410 got a lot better when Cliff modeled a factory amp instead of Satriani’s personal amp. His amp sounded very different from the normal production versions. I owned one and the Fractal one sounded WAY different. Some preferred the Satch amp but many prefer the production model it’s now based off of. It’s a matter of taste/preference but I definitely like this current one better. I rarely used the previous one but I use the current one all the time!

I like this one too, along with the JVM. I find them both to be quite a thick darkish tone, certainly not over bright or trebly.
but it's really the cab that either seems to make it punchy or boomy. I haven't tried that Dynacab with this amp, I'll give it a shot

Does anyone know what the updates were to the Friedman and CAE models?

I was curious about this too since I use the HBE V2 amp heavily and was wondering what changed along with the new speaker parameter defaults, triode modeling, and amp interaction modeling. I compared the v5 and v6 versions to find these parameter differences:

HBE v2 (v5 -> v6):
Negative Feedback: 3.75 -> 5.28
Preamp Bias: 0.125 -> 0.037

Cathode Follower:
Compression: 75.4% -> 77%
Harmonics: 0.603 -> 0.519

Back
Top Bottom