Jp12 musicman -> axe ll _> FRFR question

jerryratpack

Inspired
Anyone using the JP series with the axe give me insight please ... Sort of a generic / dumb question, but .......

I bought this JP12 used and the strings on it sounded great,( I think they were 9s ) but i wanted to warm it up so started experimenting with pure nickel, etc. and now it does not sound right. :?

My settings are all for my les Paul types. The crunch lab and liquifire are very different pups than i am used to.

also, Wondering if anyone can give me tips on string selection and settings for smooth leads, no chugs involved. I like 9s. About to try the RPS 9 slinky from Ernie ball which of course is the brand they ship with. So maybe someone out there went thru the same thing as me, might have tips...

Thanks !

Jerry

I had the same "issue" with my PRS SE. They ship with 9s. Other than not staying in tune, it just didn't have the "plunk" I was looking for. It was more like a "tink".

I upgraded the nut to a TUSQ, replaced the tuners with locking ones, and put EB Cobalt 10s on it. The strings changed the sound dramatically. Much more "gritty/ballsy" tone.

I switched to regular EB 10s and noticed the sound was not quite as ballsy, but still solid and nice.

Try the Tight Bright or Squeaky Clean on the AXE. Those are my favorite clean presets, and they respond very well to tweaking. YMMV of course. :)

I had the same "issue" with my PRS SE. They ship with 9s. Other than not staying in tune, it just didn't have the "plunk" I was looking for. It was more like a "tink".

I upgraded the nut to a TUSQ, replaced the tuners with locking ones, and put EB Cobalt 10s on it. The strings changed the sound dramatically. Much more "gritty/ballsy" tone.

I switched to regular EB 10s and noticed the sound was not quite as ballsy, but still solid and nice.

Try the Tight Bright or Squeaky Clean on the AXE. Those are my favorite clean presets, and they respond very well to tweaking. YMMV of course. :)

COOL ! Thanks for the suggestions on the Presets !

I just changed out and went to the Ernie Ball RPS 9's and it sounds so much better. I may try a set of 10s in the future, but I am glad to have my clarity back !!!

I have a JP 7 String Premier Dealer Network Exclusive that has the Same Pickups.
2nd Guitar Les Paul Dark Fire that has BurstBucker 3 and a P90.
3rd Guitar Fender American Standard with HSS.

I use D'Addario EXL110 Strings on all of them, these are Nickel Wound.
I don't want to start a String vs String War... Since everyone likes something different.
But for me I do not like any other string I have tried as Much. I also break these less.

Best advice is to order a bunch of different strings and once you get something you like then put that on all your guitars.

I have a JP 7 String Premier Dealer Network Exclusive that has the Same Pickups.
2nd Guitar Les Paul Dark Fire that has BurstBucker 3 and a P90.
3rd Guitar Fender American Standard with HSS.

I use D'Addario EXL110 Strings on all of them, these are Nickel Wound.
I don't want to start a String vs String War... Since everyone likes something different.
But for me I do not like any other string I have tried as Much. I also break these less.

Best advice is to order a bunch of different strings and once you get something you like then put that on all your guitars.

I found the vintage reissue ( pure nickel ) sound great on my les Paul. I put a set on the JP, and it did not sound good. So , I went thru a few other brands, but again, just didnt sound good. I was on the Ernie ball site and saw they shipped the JP's with RPS 10's , so I put on a set ( I used the 9's ) and there it was ... The sound I wanted.. I went thru this same ordeal when I had one of my les Paul's set up professionally. It came back sounding like crap ( to my ears ) . They had put on a different pair of strings... Took me a little while till I found the right strings to make it sound close to they way it sounded before... I think i bought a pair of those D'Addario , so i will try them out on the next string change. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions !

FWIW, I've always heard good things about D'Addario. I brought my Taylor into Sweetwater Sound last week to have the action checked. The shelf of the shop area was lined with bulk boxes of D'Addario strings. No other brand.

I guess that says something.

I've. Been using Ernie Ball Super Slinky's for over 30 yrs 009's

I used EBSS back in the day. Can't say anything bad about them. The Cobalts are different and interesting. There are YouTube comparisons of the two, but you really can't hear the difference, its more of a feel thing. I have EBES now and I'll probably stay with those. They bend nice and stay in tune. The rest is up to me.

I used EBSS back in the day. Can't say anything bad about them. The Cobalts are different and interesting. There are YouTube comparisons of the two, but you really can't hear the difference, its more of a feel thing. I have EBES now and I'll probably stay with those. They bend nice and stay in tune. The rest is up to me.

I tried a set of those Cobalts and Coated D'Addario and the Elixir Strings.
My problem with Coated Strings, is while they Sounded close enough to their Counterparts from Each Brand, they did not meet my expectations for Life expectancy.
They are typically 3 times more money and maybe... lasted 3 times as long.
Since I can get the D'Addarios that I prefer in 10 Packs, I figure it is just best to just Change the Strings more Often...

Keep in mind everyone has different taste. So while I think Ernie Balls Sound and Feel Like their Last Name, to some on Else it maybe Perfection.
I also Find Boomers to be Way too Brite for my Taste. I always called them Buzzers.
I try lots of Strings cause I don't stick to the "If it ain't Broke" Logic. If I did that then I wouldn't have an AxeFX II.
But for My Taste in Tone and Feel for Strings, I keep going back to D'Addario EXL110s.

Best advice is to buy Single Packs of multiple Brands and Eventually you will find "Your Strings"

I love the Elixirs... yes 3x's as long, thats 2 times i dont have to change strings :) plus i like the feel of them. If they are on guitars you dont play much they will last a tremendous amount of time where other strings will get nasty and smell funny.

Dave

My only issue with the cobalt's is price my EBSS ARE UNDER $4.00 a set the cobalt's are $10.00 a set.
That's a big difference in cost if i only played 1 guitar it might be OK but I'm using 3 or more guitars at every gig.
That would greatly increase the cost of my strings i pay around $40.00 for a case(12) of my EBSS
I love the new strings but the price kills that idea.
Gary

Ditto on the Cobalts. If you play with cranked amps a lot, then Cobalts are the way to go. They've just got more energy when you attack the strings.

Besides, by saving so much money from not having to buy & maintain pedals, patch cables, etc, I am free to buy Cobalts and still have some cash left over.

So, Cobalts on the ESP and Nickel-wound on the Tele.

Aside from the other suggestions the bridge pickup on those guitars is EXTREMELY smooth... I hated it... could never get a raw, nasty, throaty growl out of them... so tweak your patches with that in mind or maybe consider some other pups... best JP6 style guitar I have EVER heard had a Painkiller in the bridge... it was unreal how much it changed the tone of the guitar...

...also another nod to the Cobalt strings... they really are incredible...

Back
Top Bottom