John Petrucci Triaxis/2:90 Rig Tour 2014

Hyper Planet

Power User
John paid a visit to the Mesa Video Lounge last year, bringing along his touring rig - the Triaxis Programmable Preamp and 2:90 Power Amp, along with two Rectifier 1x12 cabs and two Mini Rectifier 1x12 cabs.

I liked Boogie pedal tone,

I think it would be very cool, if we could have a video about how JP use The Axe-Fx ll exactly, which type of chorus, delay, reverb, and stuff like that !.

Nice! Anyone know what mics he's using on those Recto cabs? I think I see a SM57, but can't tell what the red one is.

I saw an early article that said he was using and MD421, but the mic in the video isn't that.

Nevermind, I found it....it's a Shure KSM313. (Ouch! $1,300 a piece!!)

Personally I think John had his best tones in the Rock Discipline era. I don't like the tone at all in the top of this thread.

here's John, as it should be :p (listen to that sweet mmmmph!)

I agree, though I wouldn't say I didn't like it 'at all', but it wasn't my favorite... part of it may be that it's tuned for live gigs as opposed to recording... but I will say that I've felt this way about his tone recently too.

Rock discipline era is fantastic!

Goes to show how subjective this 'tone' thing is really I guess. He's clearly a fantastic player but his tone doesn't sound good to me at all, especially his lead tone, too much wool and fuzz to my ears, too scooped and not sweet in the mid range at all. That's clearly what he likes though and hey life would be dull if we all liked the same thing.

It probably sounds different with a band playing along.

For sure, it's still not a tone I like though personally. I'm not a Dream Theater fan but I've listened to a good bit of their music while transcribing his parts for guitar students and I've never liked his tone with DT or Liquid Tension Experiment.

As I said though I'm not saying it's a 'bad' tone, it's just not one that I like.

Dear god that tone is monstrous! So tight and compact. Me likey!

Wonder how long till he figures out he can't get a 95+% recreation with that funky little black box hiding in his rack......

Probably because he knows that the last 5% is where things go from "that sounds amazing and non-guitarists won't be able to tell the difference" to "The Holy Grail".

JP has a very long history with Mesa/Boogie and if I were in his position, I'd continue to play their gear too. I love that he is using "older" gear, the Triaxis, and not just the latest and greatest. Speaks volumes as to how good Boogie is.

I'd love to be playing a Roadster again if the gigs I play allowed it sonically and space-wise. I'm so glad the Axe is amazing though because I take the same 6u rack and pedal board to all gigs big or small and I get the same tone every time. That is way more useful to me for my situation.

Probably because he knows that the last 5% is where things go from "that sounds amazing and non-guitarists won't be able to tell the difference" to "The Holy Grail".

J. Petrucci said in this video that he could have a Mark IIC+ and Mark IV sound with Triaxis + 2 : 90.

But according to you, what sounds closer to the Mark IIC+ : Triaxis + 2:90 or Axe FX II XL + Matrix ? Same thing for Mark IV. The problem in this rig is that the power section (2:90) is not the same as the Mark IIC+ power section or the Mark IV one which are both modelised int the Axe.

I'm sure he could almost replace this rig by just the cabs, a Matrix, An Axe FX + a backup one + one or two pedals. If J. Petrucci wants to have a rig more compact, he can go farther.

In this video (posted by Mesa Boogie), J. Petrucci says things about the Axe FX and about the fact that it plays an important part. He talks about dtune : isn't it the kind of thing that should be placed before the preamp ?

One more thing : to sound like a Mark IIC+ or a Mark IV, you need to have the Mesa 5 band graphic equalizer. Where is it in this rig ?

Back
Top Bottom