John Petrucci PremierGuitar.com Rig Rundown

Most informative video of any artist rig ever! Got me trying to find my stew mac string guage to check the action one of my guitars see how it compares to 40 thousandths but I cant find the dang thing lol .

why is that funny? it's pretty normal.

maybe if your mic lockers full of 58s, dont get me wrong the 58 and beta 58s are true classics and probably the most used live mic in history, but its not an interview mic. You can hear as soon as it gets 2 inches away from the source the audio drops away dramaticly.

Anyways back on topic, I thought they would have used the axe in the rig a bit more than that, looks like they just power it on and leave it at that. Looks like his pedals cover most of his needs.

Always great to see how people are using gear in different situations! So JP only uses the Axe 2 as an effects unit?

I'm just about ready to buy a Mesa Mark V to hold me until I can get an Axe.

An having worked in various aspects of TV production, yeah, an SM-58 isn't really a great interview mic. Very common for all around use is an EV RE/50. Omnidirectional with built shock mount for super low handling noise. Typically ENG use is with a wireless transmitter plug.

The 58 sounds OK, it's the really tight pickup pattern that makes the rapid falloff a problem.

Last edited:
Anyways back on topic, I thought they would have used the axe in the rig a bit more than that, looks like they just power it on and leave it at that. Looks like his pedals cover most of his needs.
Interesting. I watched and thought, "Wow. The Axe is, essentially, replacing the refrigerator rack of effects he had." Plus, a single preset is fascinating. Load up an effects chain that mimics what John had going on in that "refrigerator rack," and simply switch each *piece* in/out as desired. That speaks to the power of even a SINGLE patch IMO. The floorboard has no audio running to/from it; it is *simply* a controller.. and that is beautiful, especially considering he is running corded (I despise wireless sound, but settled for it in the past to be able to "walk the floor").

As far as the pedals... without *exact emulations* of each specific pedal being available in the Axe II, this si the only way to have those tones available. Even if it is simply a psychological thing, I can see specific pedals retaining their place in the "grand scheme." Not selling my pedals.... but my other rack effects are now gone. Most of my amps too (holding onto my mod'd Legacy).

so can the axe 2 mimic his exact sounds on the mark v? It would be awesome if fractal could prove this to John, and of course Im open to any patches someone might want to provide.

so can the axe 2 mimic his exact sounds on the mark v? It would be awesome if fractal could prove this to John, and of course Im open to any patches someone might want to provide.
IMO, even if it can replicate the sound (I do not see how it could not, at least 9X% close worst case), it comes down to feel as well. Not everyone is as sensitive to this though. Plus, I imagine his Mesa deal could be a major consideration? (I would never allow sponsorship to dictate use; I would not use something just because it is free, and if my tastes changed, I would be respectful, courteous, and honest with my sponsor about things)

i think in previous interviews it is mentioned that JP worked on a lot of the latest album material at home with his axe-fx and that some of those recordings made it onto the album. the fact that someone with his talent, experience and available resources chooses to use the axe-fx for a complete solution in any context speaks volumes.

and i don't think john is only staying with the mark v due to sponsorship. i've owned a mark v for a couple years now and it is hands down the best amp i've ever played. it may be the last tube amp i will ever buy and it would certainly be the last to go if it ever came to that.

i think in previous interviews it is mentioned that JP worked on a lot of the latest album material at home with his axe-fx and that some of those recordings made it onto the album.

In an interview in one of the magazines (can't remember which) he stated that two sections on the new album were purely the Axe-Fx II demo parts that he felt he didn't need to re-record: the clean section before the solo in "Breaking All Illusions" and the clean section at 1:45 in "This is the Life."

I think it's only because the wiring: guitar -> pedals -> Mark V -> AXE II -> AMPS -> CABS
There is no 4 cables problems and easier to add new pedals to the front of the amp while the rest of the rig stays consistent. I think it just convenience and not because the AXE II can't emulate those pedals good enough.

IMHO

Have you tried hooking up the Ax to the Mk V?

It is the one amp I would consider buying!

i have and it sounds great, but i use them separately most of the time. i use the axe-fx for recording and tones with effects, and i use the mark v as a stand-alone amp with no effects.

Back
Top Bottom