John Petrucci plays Super Mario Bros Theme

JP is simpy an unbelievable player. He's fast while being super precise, you can hear every note! Video was super cool.

Great! He seems like a nice guy too.
I ran into him at a bar at NAMM a few years back.
The bar wasn't crowded so my buddy and I decided to be those annoying fans and go strike up a conversation with him.
My buddy is an amp purist and I'm an Axe guy. So we decided it would be a good idea to ask John which he preferred.

He was super cool and we had a great conversation around amps vs. technology.
If I was in his shoes I would have been like - "f*ck, here come two idiots wanting to talk gear". But he wasn't like that at all. I was impressed.

He doesn't use the Axe Fx for Amp Modelling. Only for time based effects. He is a tube amp purist.

Shoulda bashed his skull in right there and then. How dare he. :D

Yeah man, don't leave us hanging!
Sorry for the delay.
He did not pick one over the other (smart, so he doesn't piss anyone off).
He just talked about the pros and cons of each.
Cool point he made was - current musicians are very attached to Tube Amps, etc. - but down the road, due to how good the tech is, and it's very affordable, all the kids are going to grow up on digital gear. Thus, Tube Amp users are going to look like they're 'out of touch' at some point.

But, but, they already are...I'M KIDDING!!
It's not far away.
15 years ago, the flip phone was hot technology....and we've all seen someone now a days that has one and you say - holy crap, someone is still using one of those?!

Back
Top Bottom