John Mayer - Who Did You Think I Was (cover) - Axe FX II & Fender Custom Shop Strat

cheopsnet

Inspired
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback on improving audio/video latency. I changed the setup and it looks much better (to me at least). I did a quick cover to get an idea (my guitar panned slightly to the right, original track slightly to the left). Hope you like it.

Audio: Fender strat '62 (custom shop, heavy relic) with Axe Fx II (Wrecker amp + BB overdrive)
Video: Nikon D5000

Thanks

Cheops

Last edited:
Nice - is it your guitar overtop of the original recording? I think I'm hearing John's guitar too...

@DieSchmalle: Thanks, really appreciate it!

@Robboman: You are correct, I am playing over the original track, panning it slightly to the left while I am slightly to the right

Cool video and great job playing along.

But in an honest critique, I think your tone sounds muddy and lifeless in comparison to Mayer's
Please know I'm not trying to sound like a troll, as you do seem to be playing along fine.
Probably just a few minor tweaks away :)

@ngstime: Thanks for your feedback. lifeless may be a little harsh, but I am gladly taking into account your perspective. I do not pretend this video was carefully prepared (shot and edited in ~30mns, more as an exercise using my new setup and working on limiting audio/video latency) and I basically slightly modded one of the presets that comes with the II. To be honest, my focus (maybe illegitimate to others) since I have received the AxeII a few weeks back is to play and record 'stuff'. At some point, I will sit down, work harder on my own patches and on accurate/-'life-full' :))) recordings, but for now, I am happy just recording, identifiying and learning from my mistakes one step at a time.

Best
Cheops

Cool video and great job playing along.

But in an honest critique, I think your tone sounds muddy and lifeless in comparison to Mayer's
Please know I'm not trying to sound like a troll, as you do seem to be playing along fine.
Probably just a few minor tweaks away :)

Just a thought, but the tone on the John Mayer album has probably been compressed and stereo enhanced? Even if it is live
its probably been mixed and mastered quite heavily afterwards. I think you could reproduce it with the axe but whether it will
work in a live situation is another story.

Jens

I agree on the compression which helps put the guitar sound more together, for default of a better word.

As for the stereo enhancement, I am not familiar with the concept: What does it entail?

Well in the axe it's this effect: Stereo enhancer - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

On the recording it could be several mics mixed and possibly panned around ? with or without the delay.

When I hear the recording I just get that "vibe" from it. It does not sound like just a miced amp (to me in any case...)

Jens

Sorry, don't get discouraged by me.
I watched your preset video the other day, I thought it was great!

With this one, at first, I was totally floored, but towards the end he played a lick and you stayed with the riff and I realized you were on the right and he was on the left. So I listened again and focused on the right side, his side is a bit louder
Lifeless - as in the strings sounded dead, not your player was lifeless. I thought your playing seemed fine
I bet some minor tweaks in the AxeFx, you could totally nail it.

I'm just a grain of salt, nothing more :)

@ngstime: No worries and no need to apologize at all. I am not a pro player by any mean, so happy to get some pointers to improve. :)

Take care

That's good :)
In your preset video, in the middle, you were playing some jazzy stuff.
I thought it was great! what was that?

Back
Top Bottom