John Mayer "Vultures" Clip.

Hey guys, I whipped this up to record something with my new Strat. Just going through the AxeII with the 59 Bassguy. Any thoughts on the mix is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not an engineer, just another hack guitarist so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I'm not overly familiar with the original tune (I have heard it) but the guitars seem a bit too dry. I don't like a lot of reverb, but a hint of ambiance would help give it a more natural feel and not seem so "direct sound", IMO. Also seems a bit too bright and I'd bring the guitars down a bit, but maybe adding a touch or ambiance will remedy that.

Not to be critical, but your timing seems a bit off on the syncopation.

Nice sounding Strat! I really should get an Alder/RW Strat some day...

There is something I can't put my finger on....like something is smidge out of tune or the timbre is bizarre....I went and had a listen to the original. Your playing is good. Tone is good too....but there is something like about the mix makes it bizarre....I'm an amateur mixer too so again....could be totally wrong....it's not my element at all. Could be the missing reverb....which tends to mask flubs...for such a naked mix it says volumes about your skill as a player.

The timing is off. The rhythm is not following the drum beat.

The guitar part is too bright. It needs to be darker and it sounds like you're using chorus. Use a bit more reverb than chorus and maybe a very short delay instead of the chorus.

Back
Top Bottom