John Mayer tones?

paultanderberg

Inspired
Alright, so I JUST got an AxeFX and am loving the tones I am getting out of this thing. My question is, does anyone have any patches of John Mayerish tones? I've seen the Crossroads fuzzish thing going around, but nothing on his normal tone. I know there's a lot that goes into it as I know he has used a Deluxe Reverb with Marshall Bluesbreaker in the past and now he uses a Two Rock and a Dumble, depending on the song. And I know he only uses overdrives pedals as clean boosts and thinks the gain knob is the "cheat" knob. I have tried to make patches with his tones but only really using British mid-gain amps in my pre-AxeFX days, I have no clue how to set such an amp. I'm looking (and I'm sure other people are too) for anywhere from the clean tones (Vultures, SlowDancing, Gravity) to the more overdriven tones (Who Did You Think I Was, Bold As Love). Does anyone have any patches they use already or have any recommendations for settings?

I would also be interested in getting a patch with some of his tone. I've seen other posts about him, so they have to be around.

I've actually been playing around trying to replicate some of his milder Two Rock tones, using the Dumble emulations. I'll post my patch tomorrow.

paultanderberg said:
Alright, so I JUST got an AxeFX and am loving the tones I am getting out of this thing. My question is, does anyone have any patches of John Mayerish tones? I've seen the Crossroads fuzzish thing going around, but nothing on his normal tone. I know there's a lot that goes into it as I know he has used a Deluxe Reverb with Marshall Bluesbreaker in the past and now he uses a Two Rock and a Dumble, depending on the song. And I know he only uses overdrives pedals as clean boosts and thinks the gain knob is the "cheat" knob. I have tried to make patches with his tones but only really using British mid-gain amps in my pre-AxeFX days, I have no clue how to set such an amp. I'm looking (and I'm sure other people are too) for anywhere from the clean tones (Vultures, SlowDancing, Gravity) to the more overdriven tones (Who Did You Think I Was, Bold As Love). Does anyone have any patches they use already or have any recommendations for settings?

For the clean tones, a great place to start is the SVT bass amp with a Skyliner tonestack. With a Strat, it sounds damn close right out of the box. THen go to work with cab/eq selection. I am not running a FRFR setup right now, so I'm not using a cab sim.

I had a Two Rock Opal, and could nail his tones all day long with a Klon. I'd never seen one on his board, but suspected he was using one somewhere in his rack. After Battle Studies came out, and he was playing the talk shows, he had a silver Klon sitting on the floor in front of him.

That's my next task - to build a Klon with a drive block of some kind. I don't have the actual pedal anymore, so I'll have to use recordings, videos, and memory to try to dial one in.

Here's what I use when my cover band plays "Waiting On The World To Change". It's not really a John Mayer tone per-se; I haven't A/B'd it in Pro Tools. it's more just a take on a mildly overdriven boutique amp that's somewhere in the ballpark of what Mayer uses. I've spent most of the time on this patch trying to get the feel right, so it's responsive without being compressed, and it's very nice to play with.

Attachments

• Soft Dumble Lead.syx
    2 KB · Views: 560
Here's what I use when my cover band plays "Waiting On The World To Change". It's not really a John Mayer tone per-se; I haven't A/B'd it in Pro Tools. it's more just a take on a mildly overdriven boutique amp that's somewhere in the ballpark of what Mayer uses. I've spent most of the time on this patch trying to get the feel right, so it's responsive without being compressed, and it's very nice to play with.

How do open the file...what format is it. Am new so help me out a little

I have a pretty good patch that really nailes the Gravity clean "fenderish" sound. Will post it as soon as i get the axe back from tour. It's for the Ultra by the way.
Just posted here to remind myself to send it to you.

Cheers!

This file doesn't work pests, its from the old forum and I guess they were all corrupted when they were transferred over. Bummer as I am slowly trying to build a patch list....

Back
Top Bottom