Joe Bonamassa pup review video

Cool stuff.

It would be really cool if took a direct recording with the Axe, with some clean and crunch tones as well :)

Should have my JB pickups this week (I hope) and after seeing your video, they can’t come fast enough.
I’m glad that you mentioned that you went with 50’s wiring. Because when you started to turn down by half and the guitar did not muddy up, the first thing that crossed my mind, treble bleed or 50’s wiring.
And the 50’s wiring is what I am going to do to mine also. Other videos I have seen (including yours) regardless of the pickups, there just seems to be a clarity that’s there. Do you find this with yours?
When you installed the JB pickups did you try modern wiring first? Or just do it 50’s style right off the bat.

BTW I appreciate you breaking out the Candlebox too!

John

Right on guys! 6L6, just went straight to 50s wiring with 550k pots, there was a pre soldered kit with the bumblebee caps on ebay. They had the brass pots with 550 k pots, so thats what was highly suggested. The pups are lesser out put but it is in a good way (think vintage and clarity on tone)! My biggest concern was running a little higher gain and as you hear in the video it does this in spades! A little feedback but not horrible and with plenty of gating options in the axe without killing your tone your golden.....headed to jam on it right now!
cheers!
Don

Hey Don

Just got my pickups today, I went with the antiquity version. I’m not usually into that sort of thing but the guitar is 32 years old so the pickups are kind of matching the rest of the hardware. (And yes! I am the original owner)

And since you seem pretty passionate about the pots and caps, decided to follow you and just ordered a kit. Same as you brass pots, bumble bee caps. As for the pickups being low gain, already there, currently have Seth Lover recreations, which also sound great BTW (but modern wiring).

John

The pickups and new pots and caps are now installed with the 50's wiring, and I have not spent much time with it but--. The pickups sound awesome they are kind of like the Seth Lovers but still different, really like the voicing of them and D--aa-mm does the middle position sound sweet.

As for the new pots caps and 50's wiring, really like it allot the volume pots are just so much more useful (at least for what I do). Going to do the same thing to my Les Paul Custom in a few weeks when I have the time only difference I will keep the pickups that are already in the guitar.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom