Jimi Hendrix's Marshalls

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Jimi had his Marshall JTM45/100 amps modified by changing the tone stack to a 33k/500pf resistor and capacitor.
He changed the 56k resistor to a 33k resistor, and changed the 250pf capacitor to a 500pf capacitor.

He also preferred KT66 tubes, but had 6550 tubes installed in some of his American touring amps.

How could we emulate his tone stack modifications with the Fractal?

Jimi's Marshall's seemed to have a different color of midrange. You can hear the midrange sound of his amps change from Monterey, to Woodstock, to Band of Gypsys live.

Jimi's treble pickup has more midrange than normal Stratocaster pickups. Do any of you know if he changed the tone cap to a different value, and if so what?

Quote from Marshall: "Thanks to extensive research, we have learned from technicians and roadies of the period that the 1966 Super 100 heads that Jimi used were ‘stock’ except for minor modifications to the tone circuitry that were implemented in response to his request for ‘more treble.’ There is evidence to support this in our reference, where we found two small but significant component changes to the tone stack. Replacing a 56K resistor with a 33K, and a 250pf capacitor with a 500pf not only gives the amp a moderate treble boost (resulting from the capacitor increase) but also an increase in bottom end and low mids (due to the drop in the value of the resistor). There is also a small but noticeable decrease in the amount of mid-cut when compared to the JTM45* as a result of these changes. This ‘more treble’ modification is included in your Super 100JH, as it was in the amazing sounding, and pristine condition (in terms of circuitry) reference unit (serial number 7026) ** from 1966 that we used as one of our references."

I love this kind of stuff. I always try to suss out the greats’ effects, amps, speakers, etc. Those are all recordings, live or not. I have no idea, how to account for what the sound and recording engineers did to the air and after the mic, recorders, and the tape.

If it helps (and this is just my opinion), learn the notes just right, and the right FX and order. The audience will love it. If you nail the right amp and speakers, you’re there. The tone will depend upon where you play, so adjust accordingly. The tubes won’t make much of a difference.

I’m still (and will forever be) learning the Fractal gear. But I’ve been playing and noodling with amps forever. I don’t fret (nice pun!) much about tubes, caps, and resistors so much. Speakers make a definite difference.

Again, just my opinion. For all I know, Jimi just needed more treble because he played so loud and had some hearing loss. Hell, I can barely hear women talking anymore, lol.

Listen to the sustain Jimi gets at the beginning of the Machine Gun solo, from about 0:04 to 0:16 in this clip.
How do you get that kind of sustain with the Axe FXIII?

Thanks! That looks really interesting. Have any of you guys used this?

I used it to to tune my Metro 12000 series amp back then:

Metro_12000_img_011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom