JHS Tacobolt (Broken OD) sound

Hopper_

Has anyone tried to create a "broken" OD sound or "broken" speaker IR or something to get that kind of sound?

Still waiting on FedEx to deliver my FM9 today and this was one of the first things I wanted to try to accomplish. Thought I would ask here whileI am still waiting.

You may want to consider using the spittiest/splattiest/velcroish fuzz (I don’t know which this would be in the FM9) you can with a lower volume & possibly sustain setting in addition to sample rate reduction…Careful with the sample rate because it will quickly start sounding like an 8-bit video game. Consider the IR you’re using. Are you going send a simulated broken speaker sound thru a recto 2x12 cab? Or would a pignose or vintage 10” speaker be better. I caught a bit of the beginning of the video & they talk about gain-staging, this something you might want to consider when you’re building the preset. Josh from JHS loves to talk about circuits of pedals, etc. & this often gives clues in how to mimic tones without using the exact same gear. Bypass/engage the amp to determine how it’s affecting the tone. Finally, the ordering of the blocks in the chain could make a huge difference, e.g. I can hear a compressor after a reverb helping to tightly bounce around the speaker flap with another reverb after adding the environment/space.

Have a good one,

3EO

Got my "base" tone dialed in (I'm telling myself the first IR that was loaded, 1x12 Brown M160, sounds great so I don't go down that rabbit hole yet) so I'm ready to try to dial this in. I've got this thread open while I make tweaks to take in these suggestions. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom