JCM800 2203x halfstack vs AXE FIII w/poweramp and cab

The C sounds so good here (also the real head) 🤤
I was fan of this head , nothing to compare with the silver model we have . Maybe one day I ll buy one it will ends like this
exatly what i means, in this video C(the real amp) is much better that A (FM3) , punchier and more scratchy, but maybe the problem is that in each model the knob are at noon so the sound isnt close..

I personally really appreciate having some physical amps around for my own pleasure and reference against my modelers. If you are comfortable with with only 1-2 sounds, no loop effects, etc, then the 2203 makes the most sense to me. It's going to simply do the thing you love. If that's the sound you need, go straight to the source. The Axe FX really comes in handy when you need more variety of tones, or more complicated effects routings, etc. Honestly, the Axe FX with poweramp, controller, etc. is at minimum as cumbersome as a traditional rig, and in some cases, even more so.

I vote amp, but consider your needs in a band/show setting. If you buy the amp, are you also going to have to buy an attenuator, additional pedals, more cables, etc? Factor all those costs in when comparing against the Axe FX III, which you would also need a poweramp with unless you do the FRFR thing. If you're 100% content with plugging an overdrive straight into a 2203, then it seems silly to spend more on a Axe FX rig to replicate that same setup digitally.

exatly what i means, in this video C(the real amp) is much better that A (FM3) , punchier and more scratchy, but maybe the problem is that in each model the knob are at noon so the sound isnt close..

"I left all controls on the Marshall at noon then tried to match the sound by ear with the modellers."

I know the real one and own a axe 3 , and it s not the same sounding . you just point an amp that I wish to have more accurate. by the way, the jcm800 in the axe is super cool , and you have a lot of marshall sound you may like . just , dont point the jubilee with your finger :grimacing:

"I left all controls on the Marshall at noon then tried to match the sound by ear with the modellers."

I know the real one and own a axe 3 , and it s not the same sounding . you just point an amp that I wish to have more accurate. by the way, the jcm800 in the axe is super cool , and you have a lot of marshall sound you may like . just , dont point the jubilee with your finger :grimacing:
This is a problem when you want exatly this amp :( . @FractalAudio with not upgrade with the real 2555 over the lerxst omega?

I have 5" and 8" Mackie monitors and I find the 5" sound better and even bigger because the 8s are too big and too close for me to hear the full sound spectrum.

I personally really appreciate having some physical amps around for my own pleasure and reference against my modelers. If you are comfortable with with only 1-2 sounds, no loop effects, etc, then the 2203 makes the most sense to me. It's going to simply do the thing you love. If that's the sound you need, go straight to the source. The Axe FX really comes in handy when you need more variety of tones, or more complicated effects routings, etc. Honestly, the Axe FX with poweramp, controller, etc. is at minimum as cumbersome as a traditional rig, and in some cases, even more so.

I vote amp, but consider your needs in a band/show setting. If you buy the amp, are you also going to have to buy an attenuator, additional pedals, more cables, etc? Factor all those costs in when comparing against the Axe FX III, which you would also need a poweramp with unless you do the FRFR thing. If you're 100% content with plugging an overdrive straight into a 2203, then it seems silly to spend more on a Axe FX rig to replicate that same setup digitally.
Yeah, the other aspect is that the real amp can get you playing and practicing more when you only have 5 knobs to fiddle with. No firmware updates or making patches and scrolling through all of the infinite possibilities.
You just plug into an amp, tweak for a few seconds, and Bob's your uncle. It cuts down on options.
I think the simplicity can lead to creativity.

Yeah, the other aspect is that the real amp can get you playing and practicing more when you only have 5 knobs to fiddle with. No firmware updates or making patches and scrolling through all of the infinite possibilities.
You just plug into an amp, tweak for a few seconds, and Bob's your uncle. It cuts down on options.
I think the simplicity can lead to creativity.

You can also just not touch a preset you already made, and not deviate. Same thing - simplicity and creativity. I spend 95% of my time on 1 preset these days.

You can also just not touch a preset you already made, and not deviate. Same thing - simplicity and creativity. I spend 95% of my time on 1 preset these days.
True. There were long periods of times where I never changed presets.
But sometimes I can't resist the urge to fiddle f*ck with settings.
I also usually use Axe Edit to tweak settings so the computer is another distraction too.

True. There were long periods of times where I never changed presets.
But sometimes I can't resist the urge to fiddle f*ck with settings.
I also usually use Axe Edit to tweak settings so the computer is another distraction too.

You could run straight into a 2203 dimed and you'd still probably have your phone as a distraction haha. Either you're in the mindset to play or you arent, what you're using wont matter as much.

I have both. A 2203x with mint full stack of 1982 JCM800 cabs. I use my retired AX8 in a 4CM config for FX routing. It is a glorious rig that way - but it stays at home for obvious reasons. I rehearse using my AXE-III and I gig with my FM9 now since I just received that. If I could only have one, it would probably be the FM9 through my Atomic CLR. The would be the smallest most cost effect and versatile rig a person could get. It would solve a lot of future GAS as well.

Adam A3X because I have space constraints. If you have enough space on your desk, go for the A5X or A7X. Great quality, good price.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of A7x’s for my AFXIII but now I’m concerned they might be too much for my bachelor pad living room setup. Not sure if the A5x’s would be a better choice. It’s not a massive jam area.. ?

I have both. A 2203x with mint full stack of 1982 JCM800 cabs. I use my retired AX8 in a 4CM config for FX routing. It is a glorious rig that way - but it stays at home for obvious reasons. I rehearse using my AXE-III and I gig with my FM9 now since I just received that. If I could only have one, it would probably be the FM9 through my Atomic CLR. The would be the smallest most cost effect and versatile rig a person could get. It would solve a lot of future GAS as well.

The biggest thing for me is how LOUD JCM800s are. Or at least, how loud I like to have them for them to sound the way I want.

Obviously biased, but buy the Fractal. You'll get the JCM800 sound you want (it's really, really good) but you'll have a much easier time playing at lower volumes, recording, experimenting et cetera.

The biggest thing for me is how LOUD JCM800s are. Or at least, how loud I like to have them for them to sound the way I want.

Obviously biased, but buy the Fractal. You'll get the JCM800 sound you want (it's really, really good) but you'll have a much easier time playing at lower volumes, recording, experimenting et cetera.
One thing that I left out about volume on my 2203x (and all my big iron Marshalls) is that I cheat on the volume thing. While they were still easy to get, I bought a bunch of the TAC tube adaptors from Bob Smicz. They are a tube adaptor that lets you run a 1 watt 6AK6 tube in your push/pull amps. Bob is a super smart and talented engineer and he has done years of R&D to tune that little tube to sound and feel like an EL34 in Marshalls. My 2204 runs at 2 watts (4 watts peak) and my 2203x runs at about 5 watts. I can crank the master up to 6 and piss off my wife but not my neighbors. You would be surprised how loud 2-4 watts can be. I could gig my 2203x in today's clubs easily. And the big iron chassis still have that girth that we love about big amps - but a lot of that is the big 4x12 cabs it pushes. I also have a couple of the anniversary 1-watt JCM800 that Marshall sold. They sound good, but don't have that girth that my big iron amps have running low watt tubes. I also have the TAC adaptors in my 1987 too - now THAT is a fun amp at 2-watts! Low to crank that and still be able to be in the same room with it while getting that sound and feel. The 6AK6 tubes are cheap too.

Sorry to highjack the thread - and now, back to your regular programming...

I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of A7x’s for my AFXIII but now I’m concerned they might be too much for my bachelor pad living room setup. Not sure if the A5x’s would be a better choice. It’s not a massive jam area.. ?

If you're buying new, just make sure you can return the 7 for the 5 if they're too big.

If you want the JCM, get the JCM. I’ve learned over the years that if you have your heart set on something, but get the “sensible” option instead, you’ll still have that itch. And asking a bunch of people on a forum like this, well of course most of them will recommend you get an Axe FX. Doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure that out. The only opinion that matters is your own, so go with your gut I’d say.

If you want the JCM, get the JCM. I’ve learned over the years that if you have your heart set on something, but get the “sensible” option instead, you’ll still have that itch. And asking a bunch of people on a forum like this, well of course most of them will recommend you get an Axe FX.
True, but getting opinions on even something that you've made up you mind completely on, will often point out things to consider that you didn't think of. "With multiple minds there is wisdom", something like that...? Just be sure to post the same question on the JCM800 forum, ya know, so you get both sides. ;)

What power amp and FRFR do you use?
Matrix GT1000 and fEARless F115. I am sure I could have got away with an F112, but wanted to be sure it could flap the trouser legs like my 2203 through a 4 x 12. It definitely does that. I use Adam A5X for the home studio control room, and they are just fine. I thought A7X would maybe work better, but actually have to roll a little bottom end off with the A5s.

Liam

The Marshall in the axe are the best from any other modelers

+1 to have the real jubilee modeled one day…

the one in the axe is not as good as the head cause that’s a clone or something like that .
However i have a question, why other users say the model sound like the original one? There are users that sold their jubilee after bought a fractal unit...or we are wrong in somewhat ore they lie

Back
Top Bottom